Why become a member? ×

Alternative composition challenge idea

Twincam

Ok so I've been listening to the composition challenge and I like it and there's some great things in there and I'm certainly not in anyway knocking it, but there's a few things I feel put me and others off having a go. Mainly all the editing, effects other tracks and so on.

So I propose an alternative idea to run along side it. A very simplified version. For little ditties, riffs or whatever.
So simple you can record it with a phone infront of your cab if need be. That way anyone! (most people have a smart phone) can have a go.

Just bass, no effects and no other tracks. Just isolated bass.
No pictures for inspiration can be whatever you want.
1 min max length.
No editing allowed bar say cutting off the end of a track.

Would anyone but me be interested in that???

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1453930796' post='2964455']
Happy to give this a run if enough people are interested :)

Post below if it floats your boat and we can set something up for February.
[/quote]

Cool. Hopefully it will attract people.
Think it will be a bit of easy fun that literally anyone can have a go at. It needs only bare bones equipment.
You don't have to worry so much about ability either as it can be as simple as you like. If you've made up a cool little riff, ditty, simpler bass only composition etc etc.

I'd presume this would have to be self-played bass, with a 'real' instrument, not virtual..? I think I could maybe manage up to a minute doing that, if no more than monthly.
Although, nothing really precludes doing exactly that for the current Compo Challenge; a solo 'live' bass of no more than a minute is not contrary to the current rules. I'd give it a go, quite probably; someone has to thicken the numbers... :)

Would it be the same idea as the current comp where there's a pic to compose to, or would it be something else?

I'd happily compose a little solo bass number now & again. It's these sort of things that end up getting used in songs. :)

How exactly is your idea a 'challenge'?
Without a picture or something to provide inspiration what are the criteria against which the bass parts would be judged?

You don't have to get that massively into the whole recording thing to submit a piece for the current challenge, it's meant to be about the musical ideas, not the level of skill shown in the recording.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd much prefer to collaborate with others creatively than live in my own little bubble - I discovered (just as it was ending :angry: ) a project on gearslutz where members were recording on 4 track cassette and posting the tapes on to someone else after adding a single track, and then passing round the filled tapes for mixdowns. Would it be worth considering a pass the parcel project using something like audacity that everyone can access for free, and then make the finished multitrack available for those interested in mixing?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1453934570' post='2964521']
Would it be the same idea as the current comp where there's a pic to compose to, or would it be something else?

I'd happily compose a little solo bass number now & again. It's these sort of things that end up getting used in songs. :)
[/quote]

As I suggested it would have no pics or ideas for a composition, just to make it simple for everyone.
It can be inspired by anything or if you've been messing around and you have a few notes strung together that sound good then great.
Or if you have something a little more complex you've been working on great too.
Doesn't have to be a really simple bass line either. Although I'm hoping to encourage simpler play, just too really attract anyone no matter what ability or what equipment they have.
Something the whole basschat community can get involved in for a bit of fun together. Without feeling that you have to be good at the technical stuff (or playing even hahaha)

That I hope would be the general idea.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1453936333' post='2964542']
As I suggested it would have no pics or ideas for a composition, just to make it simple for everyone.
It can be inspired by anything or if you've been messing around and you have a few notes strung together that sound good then great.
Or if you have something a little more complex you've been working on great too.
Doesn't have to be a really simple bass line either. Although I'm hoping to encourage simpler play, just too really attract anyone no matter what ability or what equipment they have.
Something the whole basschat community can get involved in for a bit of fun together. Without feeling that you have to be good at the technical stuff (or playing even hahaha)

That I hope would be the general idea.
[/quote]

So it's basically the "Play any old sh*te challenge" then. :D

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1453935857' post='2964534']
How exactly is your idea a 'challenge'?
Without a picture or something to provide inspiration what are the criteria against which the bass parts would be judged?

You don't have to get that massively into the whole recording thing to submit a piece for the current challenge, it's meant to be about the musical ideas, not the level of skill shown in the recording.
[/quote]

Because you have to play an instrument and sound good too others. Without all the other stuff added.

I hope no one thinks I'm suggesting the other comp isn't good or anything. Just theres not many take part this is something everyone can do in as little as a minute.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1453936462' post='2964546']

So it's basically the "Play any old sh*te challenge" then. :D
[/quote]

If it gets people having a go of something and a bit more involvement from basschatters then yeah :)

And maybe it will lead to more people having a go and think yeah that's good now where do I go from here and maybe they just might get more equipment and get on board with the "proper" composition challenge.

As a regular voter (but never an entrant) I'd welcome pieces like you are suggesting Twincam, but if you see how little traction this established competition gets I really can't see how an alternative version would work.

Just use the picture as a starting point - I've never really taken too much notice, when it comes to voting, I just go with the compositions I like the most.

Get stuck in, put your short, simple ideas up next month 0 I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the response.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1453937993' post='2964572']
As a regular voter (but never an entrant) I'd welcome pieces like you are suggesting Twincam, but if you see how little traction this established competition gets I really can't see how an alternative version would work.

Just use the picture as a starting point - I've never really taken too much notice, when it comes to voting, I just go with the compositions I like the most.

Get stuck in, put your short, simple ideas up next month 0 I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the response.
[/quote]

Not everyone has the time or equipment for the established comp, nor would any simple isolated bass tracks do well in the comp. And many would not feel at ease putting a simple composition against the far more technical versions.
I believe people would like a easier going, simple and quick alternative. And that more people would be likely to enter. Of course I might be wrong on that one.

Just thought it might encourage some activity but I can sense a resistance already by some.

Edited by Twincam

personally, i like it as it is. i would love to see some solo bass stuff too. i think if you can write something that can work as a standalone piece then it is just as valid as any multi instrument/track entry. i probably would be entering though. mainly as i have never recorded any solo instrument and been happy with it. whenever i record something solo it always sounds like senseless noodling or overly complex to me, so i prefer to write things into a tune. i have the utmost respect for those who can pull it off though. i think if a few tracks like that were to start surfacing then others would follow suit. which would just bolster the existing comp rather than isolate it.

Can I just say with all due respect.

This thread really should be for people interested in the idea and to say there interested, so hopefully get something going.
And not really for people who don't want to take part or voice there opinions on why and clutter up the thread. If not enough people are interested so be it.
I Don't go on the composition challenge thread and say I won't be taking part and what my opinions are on why I won't be and why not many people take part etc.

Is this the sort of thing you're suggesting..? This is the first minute of an isolated solo bass 12-bar I did, using my Verithin into Reaper. Played to a drum track not heard here, it actually went on for a bit longer. It was solely for getting a general feel of the levels and such, nothing 'serious'.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/bass-12-bar-1st-minute"]Isolated Verithin bass 12-bar ...[/url]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1453945590' post='2964627']
Is this the sort of thing you're suggesting..? This is the first minute of an isolated solo bass 12-bar I did, using my Verithin into Reaper. Played to a drum track not heard here, it actually went on for a bit longer. It was solely for getting a general feel of the levels and such, nothing 'serious'.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/bass-12-bar-1st-minute"]Isolated Verithin bass 12-bar ...[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah sure is. Just short clips of what I would call nice honest playing. As I've said its just to try get people involved without having to really get as involved in the production aspects and so on and then hopefully if people enjoy it then they will go on to the better more technical aspects of things.

I'm not trying to take away anything from the current composition challenge I just really want people to get involved. And this would be the easiest form.

And if I didn't know that clip was a hofner I would of said was that a hofner (classic sound)

I don't really see the need for a further competition... You can submit what you like into the existing monthly composition challenges :) I've submitted bass guitar only tracks in the past :)

Nothing to stop you plonking a phone in front of your cab, playing some riffs and submitting it... In fact on the rare occasion I've actually managed to get something together for the competition that's exactly what I've done :)

... besides if you do offer something up Dad will do a write up of your piece and everyone knows that's the main reason for entering anyway :D

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1453941655' post='2964614']

This thread really should be for people interested in the idea and to say there interested, so hopefully get something going.
And not really for people who don't want to take part or voice there opinions on why and clutter up the thread. If not enough people are interested so be it.
I Don't go on the composition challenge thread and say I won't be taking part and what my opinions are on why I won't be and why not many people take part etc.
[/quote]

Woah, hang on. My post is one that you are (supposedly "with due respect") referring to here, a post that was very positive and encouraging. In light of this, I find your response incredibly offensive. The thought that you don't want anybody contributing in this way is incredibly egocentric, and, to me, now brings in to question your motives behind setting up the proposed alternative challenge. It is a real shame you have responded this way, as I was genuinely looking forward to hearing musical contributions like you suggested in the current challenge.

In the interest of world peace… I say let’s give it a try. “What’s the worst that could happen?”

If it proves popular, great! It could provide an easy outlet for people to ‘have a bash’ at recording and provide some cross-fertilisation with the regular Composition Challenge in terms of drumming up additional interest/votes.

It it flops like Eric Pickles on a sun lounger, then we’ll cast the idea off into oblivion, scrub the decks down with bleach, delete all trace of this conversation, silence the witnesses and never speak of it again :D

Personally, I’m for [i]anything[/i] that gets people listening to each other’s musical endeavours rather than just cooing over headstock shapes, or whatever. So let’s give it a whirl.

I’ll kick-start the idea shortly; possibly this coming weekend. My currently working title is:

[size=5]“60 Second Noodles”[/size]

…other (ideally better) titles very welcome.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1453941655' post='2964614']

[/quote]

no offense but that is a really skewed way to get feedback on something. to condemn or ignore any comments that dont agree with you entirely is pointless. if nobody says why its not their cup of tea then you can never develop an idea enough to build a really strong foundation. you say that you think the use of production is putting people off the competition, which is fair enough and is constructive criticism. i think that has a place, rather than just being "clutter". i'm not trying to be confrontational here but just saying that people should only say nice things and agree is one sided.

i think it would be better to allow effects, but not multiple tracks or loops. that way people who write tunes which use wah pedals, distortions and the like can still stick their bit in using what they feel confident with. you would still have a solo bass track but people can do their usual thing where they are confident and comfortable.
i would also say that two minutes would be a better measure as it would allow a bit of space to write a building riff without rushing it.
would there be a rule on what is usable when recording? a recording on my phone would sound awful so i would still be using either a direct line/mic and recording software if i did enter.

I think if it's going to have any legs, it'll need to be based on something (a picture or idea etc) otherwise as someone else said earlier it'll just be a play what you like competition and be pretty difficult to judge which submission is best in any reasonable way...

I guess some rules will have to be set out about using effects / loopers etc... Or is the idea literally just bass - cable - amp and record a noodle?