Why become a member? ×

Alternative composition challenge idea

Twincam

If it involves any sort of 'inspiration' for the compositions, then we might as well stick with the existing monthly challenge as others have mentioned. There’s plenty of scope within the current format for people to enter bass only tracks (as Rob above has done^). Also, the production values of the entries don’t necessarily dictate their popularity with voters. We’ve had plenty of ‘winners’ whose tracks lacked polish but were packed with great ideas.

So… I think this new challenge, if it’s going to be sufficiently different, needs to be much more simple and immediate:
[list]
[*]60 seconds maximum
[*]Bass only, no additional instrumentation
[*]But... FX, click tracks and metronomes are all fine [i](just don’t tell Jeff Berlin!)[/i]
[*]Play whatever you like, from any genre you like
[/list]

No more complicated than that. Any other caveats and we’re better off just pointing people to the existing challenge with a bit of encouragement, as it’s already a sufficiently inclusive formula.

I see this as being something for those times when you might be noodling at home, strike upon a catchy phrase/riff, and want to share it with others. No more complicated than that.

I've submitted a bass only track in the past to the current comp. It didn't win, but then neither do the majority of my tracks. I enter for the fun of it & the enjoyment of composing. :)
Her's what I did a couple of years ago. i used my effects & it was fun (I don't have any fx other than the one's on my mac & a chorus sat in a drawer).

https://soundcloud.com/xgsjx/death-of-a-jazz-club

I'd be up for a 60 second bass bonk. :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1453976368' post='2964769']
If it involves any sort of 'inspiration' for the compositions, then we might as well stick with the existing monthly challenge as others have mentioned. There’s plenty of scope within the current format for people to enter bass only tracks (as Rob above has done^). Also, the production values of the entries don’t necessarily dictate their popularity with voters. We’ve had plenty of ‘winners’ whose tracks lacked polish but were packed with great ideas.

So… I think this new challenge, if it’s going to be sufficiently different, needs to be much more simple and immediate:[list]
[*]60 seconds maximum
[*]Bass only, no additional instrumentation
[*]But... FX, click tracks and metronomes are all fine [i](just don’t tell Jeff Berlin!)[/i]
[*]Play whatever you like, from any genre you like
[/list]
No more complicated than that. Any other caveats and we’re better off just pointing people to the existing challenge with a bit of encouragement, as it’s already a sufficiently inclusive formula.

I see this as being something for those times when you might be noodling at home, strike upon a catchy phrase/riff, and want to share it with others. No more complicated than that.
[/quote]

Are loopers going to be allowed?

I guess it's not really a noodle, if it's layered up though....

Edited by CamdenRob

with all due respect... if you are going to ask about an idea, you need to expect some negative feedback...

effectively what you are suggesting is people record their noodling and playing it to other people, which doesn't need to be a challenge imo.

i wouldn't record a short riff idea for a challenge, and i'll be honest i couldn't sit through a whole thread just listening to a riff and on that basis i wouldn't even consider voting. given we have established some solo bass sounds like "aimless noodling" i don't think everyone would be interested in listening.

I get what you are trying to achieve, but surely it could be contained to a single thread like "share my doodle" and people share their doodles etc and people can comment if they wish. don't think it needs to be a challenge, especially when there is nothing to judge it against.

as mentioned, bass only pieces have been contributed in the past and there is no barrier to the composition challenge as it stands, you could record a noddle and a riff and enter that if you so wished, it doesnt have to be in the form of a full song with all the other elements

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1453977451' post='2964784']
...surely it could be contained to a single thread like "share my doodle" and people share their doodles etc and people can comment if they wish. don't think it needs to be a challenge, especially when there is nothing to judge it against.[/quote]

I like this idea! It's a good compromise between making it super-easy for people to have a go and tackling some of the pitfalls of running it as a 'challenge'.

So this sounds like the most viable way forward to me.

Any other thoughts?

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1453978410' post='2964804']
I like this idea! It's a good compromise between making it super-easy for people to have a go and tackling some of the pitfalls of running it as a 'challenge'.

Any other thoughts?
[/quote]
i think its the most sensible option, if part of the reasoning is time available, faffing around to meet some kind of standard for a challenge won't appeal, it just needs to be "hey look i have this riff on sound cloud, check it out" boom, done

I understand the difficulties in making it a competition but if it's just a "listen to my noodle" thread I suspect it will attract no interest whatsoever...

I quite like the idea of a 60 second limit and some sort of competition, but as others have said it would be difficult without any picture or something to serve as a focus point and this is already catered for by the composition competition.

It's difficult to see how it could work, but I think it's an interesting point of discussion... This is a bass forum after all and there may be a place for short bass only compositions :)

Ok... so I’ve added a quick poll to this thread so we can get consensus on what people would prefer [i](and coming from the Recording forum I love a good poll, I really do).[/i]

Here's the brief for anyone coming to this afresh...

----------

We’ve had a suggestion to set up a ‘platform’ for sharing quick, 60-second riffs, runs, noodles (whatever) with other members of the Basschat community.

Something very quick and easy. No emphasis on production values; just a way to share and receive comments on some of your own favourite licks.

[b][size=5]Is this something you’d be interested in?[/size][/b]

Please fill in the poll (above) and let us know what you think.

Thanks muchly :)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1453978410' post='2964804']

Any other thoughts?
[/quote]

I think if it's going to be done then this is the only way of doing it.

There's no way it can be done as a 'challenge' without some kind of criteria (picture or whatever) to work with.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1453969302' post='2964690']

Woah, hang on. My post is one that you are (supposedly "with due respect") referring to here, a post that was very positive and encouraging. In light of this, I find your response incredibly offensive. The thought that you don't want anybody contributing in this way is incredibly egocentric, and, to me, now brings in to question your motives behind setting up the proposed alternative challenge. It is a real shame you have responded this way, as I was genuinely looking forward to hearing musical contributions like you suggested in the current challenge.
[/quote]

No you hold on there. As this was not directed at you in anyway shape or form so your reply made me laugh as that was egocentric!
So honestly relax there I promise that was not directed at anyone.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1453993316' post='2965108']
No you hold on there. As this was not directed at you in anyway shape or form so your reply made me laugh as that was egocentric!
[/quote]

I didn't for one moment think it was meant for me alone, so I'm glad you had a good laugh, all be it in error. My post fitted perfectly what you were moaning about - an opinion from someone with no interest in taking part in your new proposed challenge. It was, however, posted in a supportive spirit, which is why I took it personally, and felt stung by your petulant post. Glad to hear it wasn't directed at me, but perhaps you could sharpen your aim next time!

I look forward to hearing the noodle posts, but retain the opinion that you should bite the bullet and put these raw tracks up against the others in the existing challenge.

When I started this I really didn't think it would attract such a discussion.

A few thoughts I've not asked people for no critism but it's not going to help get an idea started if people are coming on and just shooting the idea down totally and ridiculing it. The poll is a good idea.

I think as skol said fx used is a good idea, but keeping it too simple fx as said. I like the 60 second noodle idea.

I'm not sure what would work best having it as a challenge or something people can listen too and comment on. I voted challenge though. The challenge being that other people are suitable impressed and errors something else feel free to suggest something.

Possibly even have a small prize? If it's a challenge or just for the noodle that gets the most comments although I guess it still makes it a competition. Any thoughts on small prizes? Of the value of say £5, I'm talking like a custom noodle challenge pick (I don't play with a pick but just an idea) or something else?, I would be willing to put some initial money into that sort of thing to cover at least the first year of the monthly prize so say £60 or so. If people are actually going to participate.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1453993316' post='2965108']
[/quote]

It was quite clearly directed at anyone who didn't agree with you.
You can't ask for people to give their opinions on something & then start getting all arsey because some people don't think it's a very good idea.

Edited by RhysP

I think initially the poll is a good idea to garner the amount of potential interest...

The actual success of the idea would depend on the specific structure of what ends up happening. I don't think a prize is really required but I do think it needs to be a competition... A thread of unrelated noodles would just disappear into obscurity after perhaps some initial interest.

To be honest I can only see it working if it's basically the same as the current compo comp (with a picture as inspiration for the piece) but with the limitations of 60 second, bass only tracks...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1453995071' post='2965137']

It was quite clearly directed at anyone who didn't agree with you.
You can't ask people for people to give their opinions on something & then start getting all arsey because some people don't think it's a very good idea.
[/quote]

Trust me I was not getting arsey at all. I think I've conducted myself well, despite people getting there knickers in a bunch about having a new idea and a alternative to the established comp. That's how you came across there.

I made points why people may not enter the current comp and didn't want to take anything away from the composition challenge.

What did you bring to this discussion? Ok you could of just said or now voted against it but no you went further. If people had said there not interested and given some points on why then fair enough but it seemed like others who were being arsey about it.

I really don't get why this thread has ended up this way and in an effort to stop any offense I may of caused I am sorry maybe my posts didn't come over as intended I've always posted (most of the time) with only humour and respect on bc and I'm actually a bit upset that I may of annoyed anyone or came across with anything but respect. I only wanted to suggest something for the community and maybe in my haste I've not come across as I should of. I am sorry RhysP

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1453995706' post='2965142']
I really don't get why this thread has ended up this way and in an effort to stop any offense I may of caused [b]I am sorry maybe my posts didn't come over as intended[/b] I've always posted (most of the time) with only humour and respect on bc and I'm actually a bit upset that I may of annoyed anyone or came across with anything but respect.
[/quote]

This^ big time I'm afraid, but glad it wasn't what you intended, as what did come over wasn't very nice. So here's a virtual handshake from me, and onwards with the new competition :)

Edited by Mykesbass

Ok chaps, group hug and let’s move on. Things can very easily get misconstrued in online discussion, especially when beer and crisps aren’t involved [i](at least I assume nobody is on the ale at this hour. I’m currently at work so it’s strictly cask whiskey for me).[/i]

So… I’m going to let this thread run for a while longer, watch how the poll pans out, and let’s take it from there.

Currently my thoughts are:
[list]
[*]Running a thread where people can post quick’n’dirty recordings, unstructured, is very easy for us to set up and by far the simplest approach. The downside being that it would run the risk of fizzling out quite rapidly (we already struggle to get people interested in hearing and commenting on each other’s music).
[/list][list]
[*]Running it as some kind of ‘challenge’ is more likely to maintain people’s interest, but there’d need to be sufficient distinction from the Composition Challenge to make it worthwhile. I’m not sure whether another picture-themed competition would really cut the mustard, so to speak. My gut feeling is that we literally throw it open to “whatever people want to play, providing it’s no longer than 60 seconds”. Any genre, any technique, etc. Although I’d welcome ideas as to what the source of inspiration could be…
[/list][list]
[*]Prizes are a tricky business. I’ve approached potential sponsors myself regarding the Composition Challenge but we don’t currently have a sufficiently large enough audience to make it an attractive proposition for them (30-40 voters per month isn't worth their while). Small prizes would need maintaining out of members’ own pockets and despite kind offers already, I’d like to avoid that.
[/list]

Let’s keep chewing it over for now… no rush. Just keep it civil :)

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1453998270' post='2965188']
Maybe people can select there own inspiration and be judged not only against others noodles but there own inspirations? Maybe not.
[/quote]

That's heading more towards the idea of a dedicated thread as opposed to an organized competition... which is fine if that's the general consensus :) I just feel that it needs a competitive edge to retain anyone's interest...

As mentioned above, hardly anyone goes to the shared music forum threads as it is* and I can't see a thread of unrelated noodles being one people flock too...

[i]*As a side note, I did very much appreciate everyone who took the time to review and comment on my recent thread in the shared music forum.[/i]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1453998671' post='2965197']

That's heading more towards the idea of a dedicated thread as opposed to an organized competition... which is fine if that's the general consensus :) I just feel that it needs a competitive edge to retain anyone's interest...

As mentioned above, hardly anyone goes to the shared music forum threads as it is* and I can't see a thread of unrelated noodles being one people flock too...

[i]*As a side note, I did very much appreciate everyone who took the time to review and comment on my recent thread in the shared music forum.[/i]
[/quote]

I agree with you on the comp bit, I see it being easier to get into it being free form as it were you can do your noodle based on something you just suddenly came up with, something you've had for a while, maybe a fun sounding finger exercise you came up with or something you felt inspiration from. I don't see why if you fancied giving yourself a challenge with a pic or a style etc and posting it up saying I was inspired by this etc, maybe even a moment in life inspired you or again just a noodle a few notes etc that you thought sounded good strung together.

I know this runs the risk of chaos but maybe out of the chaos something fun and really easy to get into will emerge.

Yeah I can see the attraction of it being freeform, I guess it would remove any barriers to using pieces you had already come up with and wanted to share.

I just think it'll be difficult to judge the submissions against each other without some kind of common denominator.

Edited by CamdenRob