Why become a member? ×

Strap screw advice please

Kevsy71

At last night's gig the bottom strap screw came out (thankfully after the set) of my Precision, and won't 'bite' anymore when I try to screw it back in. Any tips? It's a lovely original Fender 79 P, so I don't want to risk damaging it. Cheers!

Remove the screw from the body and get a cocktail stick and dip it in wood-glue, or PVA glue, then stick it into the hole as far as it goes, then break/cut off the section that's sticking out of the hole. Allow the glue to dry, then screw the strap button back onto the body.

Job done.

Edit: Cato just beat me to it :D

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1453555835' post='2960503']
What Cato said. Matchsticks and a bit of wood glue. Let dry, then screw into that.
[/quote]
Matchsticks are a softer wood than cocktail sticks, so the fix using a matchstick won't last as long. Use cocktail sticks if you have them.

It doesn't matter that matchsticks are softer.

All you have to do is to make sure that the hole is filled with the wood then the pressure of the screw will be enough to hold everything together.

You don''t even need glue if the filling is big enough.

I usually get one of those longer matches, shave it down to fit snugly in the hole, dip it in PVA wood glue, then gently tap it down into the hole, wipe off the excess glue then trim it flush with a sharp knife. Give it 24 hours to dry then stick your screw back in.

Pretty much essential if you're fitting Schaller strap locks as the screws are quite narrow. I've never had one fail yet :)