Why become a member? ×

Going round in circles - help me focus on amp choice ?

timmyo

You know how it is, there's what you [b]need [/b]and what you start looking at 'cos it's shiny . . . :)

All I really [b]need [/b]is a practice amp - something that'll make a noise and which is a bit more engaging to use than headphones from the PC amp sim.

Where my head keeps taking me is to look at stuff that'd stand up in a small rehearsal as I would like to play with others as soon as my ability allows (I'm an adult migrating from/supplementing guitar).

So I go round in circles from teeny tiny things that are easy to pay for and own, through to the occasional apparent secondhand bargain that's more powerful.

So help me organise my thoughts by 'talking' aloud and getting your responses:

I could grab a Peavey Microbass - have heard good things about them
I have seen an Eden N8 for £70 - have read good things about them
I have seen an Eden Nemesis N15S for £200 (getting bigger - unecessary ?)
Oddly there are 3 Fender rumbles (2 60s and a 100) for sale locally ranging from £60-£100
Occasionally see bigger/louder/better stuff at 200-300+ : possibly walk before run going on here

I've got analysis paralysis and the each evening end up on the headphones again and kick myself for not just sorting it out :huh:

ta for any pointers,

Tim

If you get something unecessarily bit, it will last you longer, but is less practical as a practice amp. It's likely that eventually you will go head + cab, then a small luggable amp would be nice. I bought an Ashdown Electric Blue 15", which was fine playing with cheesy blues guitarist, but when I got to do what I actually wanted to do, it wasn't nearly enough, and it's not a carry about with you for living room jam size. Really it depends on opportunities and what you plan to do, as well as budget.

Hmm. Yeah something I class as 'big' now may well not be a properly viable long-termer anyway I suppose.

I'm a little wary of tiny practice things though - the Stagg 20w one I tried was just naff - varying degrees of "FLOMP FLOMP FLOMP" - although that's probably the curse of the tiny cheap bass amp!

[quote name='timmyo' post='285768' date='Sep 17 2008, 12:30 PM']You know how it is, there's what you [b]need [/b]and what you start looking at 'cos it's shiny . . . :)

All I really [b]need [/b]is a practice amp - something that'll make a noise and which is a bit more engaging to use than headphones from the PC amp sim.
Where my head keeps taking me is to look at stuff that'd stand up in a small rehearsal as I would like to play with others as soon as my ability allows (I'm an adult migrating from/supplementing guitar).
So I go round in circles from teeny tiny things that are easy to pay for and own, through to the occasional apparent secondhand bargain that's more powerful.
So help me organise my thoughts by 'talking' aloud and getting your responses:

I could grab a Peavey Microbass - have heard good things about them
I have seen an Eden N8 for £70 - have read good things about them
I have seen an Eden Nemesis N15S for £200 (getting bigger - unecessary ?)
Oddly there are 3 Fender rumbles (2 60s and a 100) for sale locally ranging from £60-£100
Occasionally see bigger/louder/better stuff at 200-300+ : possibly walk before run going on here

Tim[/quote]

Hi Tim,

I've been through this same process with jamming & rehearsals in mind. As you're migrating from a guitar, technically you're probably way ahead of me, but I looked at it this way: - what I need is a headphone socket for near silent home practice, an aux-in/CD input socket for playing along to tracks/mp3's. If the amp didn't have those simple facilities then I crossed it off the list.

After that it was a case of having enough power for that rehearsal. Most practice amp/combo's also have line-out sockets for powering an alternative speaker such as a 2 x something (10,12,15)

The Fender Rumble 100 probably ticks your boxes, as "andyonbass" says. I agree.
The Eden N15 also seems fine, 200w & but probably more expensive and heavy at 45lbs.

Enjoy the angst,

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' post='286012' date='Sep 17 2008, 04:11 PM']Hi Tim,

I've been through this same process with jamming & rehearsals in mind. As you're migrating from a guitar, technically you're probably way ahead of me, but I looked at it this way: - what I need is a headphone socket for near silent home practice, an aux-in/CD input socket for playing along to tracks/mp3's. If the amp didn't have those simple facilities then I crossed it off the list.[/quote]

This is probably a sensible approach for me, tempting though the occasional "better" s/h item might look.

A few others have caught my eye from nosing around :

Roland Bass Cube 30
Line6 Lowdown Studio 110

Looks like the N8 is discontinued so hard to actually find. The N10, new, costs about double what I said above.

@ andyonbass : did I buy a Yamaha bass from you about a year ago ? If so I'm afraid I promptly sold it as I joined a band and got busy on guitar :)

[quote name='timmyo' post='286140' date='Sep 17 2008, 06:45 PM']@ andyonbass : did I buy a Yamaha bass from you about a year ago ? If so I'm afraid I promptly sold it as I joined a band and got busy on guitar :huh:[/quote]

That'd be me :) I'd take a look at that Rumble 100, Tim, the guy lives in Haydon wick, I can pm you his number if you want

[quote name='funnyfreddie' post='286246' date='Sep 17 2008, 09:24 PM']Hi,
yes i am the man with the rumble for sale. drop me a line if you are interested. genuine sale as i have honestly described in the ad. people who know me know that i like to be honest. no nasty surprises whatever you buy from me.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26957"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26957[/url]

all best.
ff[/quote]

Is it the rumble with the lights underneath.

OK I found a shop locally that has the Line6 Lowdown 110 Studio and the Roland Bass Cube 30 - both very nice - wouldn't have a problem owning either, although I doubt I'd use the FX on the Roland. The shop was a bit pricey mind (£220 for the Line6, £200 for the Roland) so I'll buy elsewhere or s/h - but because I felt a tidge guilty for using them as a demo service I bought some strings lol

Tim

[quote name='The Funk' post='287550' date='Sep 19 2008, 06:25 PM']For out and out practice amps, I like the little Warwick combos.[/quote]

Not seen one of those.

It's a bit of a problem round here - no really big shop to try lots of stuff. For example those 2 were the only Line6 and Roland amps they had. another shop in town has a couple of Hartke amps and a Fender or 2, and that's the lot really for smaller stuff.

I'll check out the Warwicks online - ta