Why become a member? ×

Manshed studio build **ADVICE ON INSULATION PLEASE**

Beedster

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1464024101' post='3055850']
If you're that serious about the recording thang, why not put an isolation booth inside the shed?
[/quote]

I'm thought about doing that but it's not all that big and a booth big enough for DB for example would take up a lot of the internal space. I can probably get close with some portable acoustic screens. I am however starting to think about the adjacent greenhouse (on concrete) that might make a wonderful site for an isolation booth......

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1464024450' post='3055857']...the adjacent greenhouse (on concrete) that might make a wonderful site for an isolation booth......
[/quote]

As long as you're not playing Stones numbers. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Lee-Man' timestamp='1464017547' post='3055783']
Tonewheels, have you got a link to the shed your buying, sounds like just the ticket for me.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201555854342?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201555854342?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

[quote name='tonewheels' timestamp='1464625176' post='3060930']

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201555854342?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201555854342?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]
[/quote]

Awesome, thanks for that :)

What an interesting idea. I am just about finished with my current project in France (repairing and converting an old forge) and may get tempted even though I already have a small studio inside the current UK house.
What makes this such a great idea is that it CAN be moved. I love the idea of being able to take a studio with me as and when we finally move to France for good. And happily I have room in the garden of one of the houses for just such a building!

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1464715132' post='3061774']
What an interesting idea. I am just about finished with my current project in France (repairing and converting an old forge) and may get tempted even though I already have a small studio inside the current UK house.
What makes this such a great idea is that it CAN be moved. I love the idea of being able to take a studio with me as and when we finally move to France for good. And happily I have room in the garden of one of the houses for just such a building!
[/quote]

Trying not to be jealous and failing.

Now trying not to imagine your fiery death.

Failing.

In all fairness though I was never going to get to do the early retirement thing so good on you if it's working out for you. I do have a missus who stands to inherit a fortune I just have to murder her parents.

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1464819675' post='3062971']
Trying not to be jealous and failing.

Now trying not to imagine your fiery death.

Failing.

In all fairness though I was never going to get to do the early retirement thing so good on you if it's working out for you. I do have a missus who stands to inherit a fortune I just have to murder her parents.
[/quote]

Early retirement? I did my last pro tour in 2006, when I was 62. |Moved over to solo and duo gigs locally & have never really actually stropped working, just not as hard or as often.
And the houses in France are what we have saved up to pay for in the hopes of getting some sort of pension from them. Not working too well at present as I keep working on them which sorta makes it difficult to rent them out! :lol: No sick pay, no unemployment pay, no pension.... its a grand life in the music trade tha knowst!

• 2 years later...

Folks

I need to be a little more serious about my Manshed Studio, as from this month it's also my full-time office. I'm quite happy in the cold, so can easily sit out there for hours reading or playing without trouble, but I think time has come to insulate it for both temperature and sound as I think it's going to be a more useable space that way.

Re sound, I have about 150 of the below tiles I can use to help tame internal acoustics

https://www.studiospares.com/Studio-Gear/Acoustic-Tiles/Universal-Acoustics-Mercury-Wedge-300-x-300-x-50mm-Burgundy_466290.htm

but I'm quite keen however to reduce sound coming in from the outside.

Re temperature, I want as far as possible for it to retain heat in winter but also not be too adversely affected by direct sunlight in summer. It's only 5m x 3m so I'm also keen to not lose too much of the internal space.

Thoughts and experience very welcome

Cheers

Chris

9 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Folks

I need to be a little more serious about my Manshed Studio, as from this month it's also my full-time office. I'm quite happy in the cold, so can easily sit out there for hours reading or playing without trouble, but I think time has come to insulate it for both temperature and sound as I think it's going to be a more useable space that way.

Re sound, I have about 150 of the below tiles I can use to help tame internal acoustics

https://www.studiospares.com/Studio-Gear/Acoustic-Tiles/Universal-Acoustics-Mercury-Wedge-300-x-300-x-50mm-Burgundy_466290.htm

but I'm quite keen however to reduce sound coming in from the outside.

Re temperature, I want as far as possible for it to retain heat in winter but also not be too adversely affected by direct sunlight in summer. It's only 5m x 3m so I'm also keen to not lose too much of the internal space.

Thoughts and experience very welcome

Cheers

Chris

I used celotex for my studio it’s mainly used to insulate lofts , it’s great.    a less expensive alternative would be earthwool ,which is also good.     I would advise against fibreglass the fibres are really harmful 🙂