Why become a member? ×

Id not ego

Nicko

Bounced off this thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/276750-missing-my-mojo/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/276750-missing-my-mojo/[/url], got me wondering why we actually do what we do.

I never wanted to be a bass player, but I find it very rewarding being in a band and making a contribution. Its something I never felt I could do as a guitarist but I like to think I'm a pretty good bass player. I'ts great when someone pays me a compliment, whether its a member of the band, or a punter saying that the band was awessome. I need to be part of something other people think is awesome. Some people would say this is ego. I think its a more basic need. I play because my Id demands it.

Not ego at all.

You want to be PART of something that people think is awesome. Now if you'd said you wanted everyone to think YOU were awesome, that's a different matter.

Gross generalisation here, but I'd imagine that most bass players in gigging bands are good team players, who take satisfaction in a good team performance rather than personal glory. I know I've done my job if the music grooved and everyone was dancing. The reality is that only other band members or a select few punters will appreciate a tight rhythm section, but that's fine by me.

I only went out and bought a bass because my mates wanted to start a band when we were 15 and that was the only slot available. But since then, my association with the instrument has heavily influenced how I listen to and appreciate music so its now hardwired in to me and I can't imagine playing any other instrument (though if I had the time, I'd love to learn a bit of drums and guitar to make me a more knowledgable bass player).

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1452694468' post='2952501']
Not ego at all.

You want to be PART of something that people think is awesome. Now if you'd said you wanted everyone to think YOU were awesome, that's a different matter.

Gross generalisation here, but I'd imagine that most bass players in gigging bands are good team players, who take satisfaction in a good team performance rather than personal glory. I know I've done my job if the music grooved and everyone was dancing. The reality is that only other band members or a select few punters will appreciate a tight rhythm section, but that's fine by me.

I only went out and bought a bass because my mates wanted to start a band when we were 15 and that was the only slot available. But since then, my association with the instrument has heavily influenced how I listen to and appreciate music so its now hardwired in to me and I can't imagine playing any other instrument (though if I had the time, I'd love to learn a bit of drums and guitar to make me a more knowledgable bass player).
[/quote]

I agree, but I think you missed my point. I don't play bass cos I like it, I play bass because the side effects are a basic need.

No, I got it. I was giving my own experience. I'd imagine that many of us fell in to bass playing, as opposed to Guitar or Vocals which is more of a calling. I've come to love the bass, but totally get that for some its just an enabler to be part of something, and it could just as easily be another instrument.

I originally started because it looked fun.

I often have days where I just can't be arsed playing. The reasons I still play are because it's the only thing I'm half decent at and every so often I have a little streak where I absolutely love it and want to do nothing else. I've never had that feeling with anything else before.

I play bass because I love doing it but I think I gravitated toward it (subconsciously at least) because it allows me to make music without being in the spotlight. I am phobic about being in photos to an embarrassing degree (having wedding photos taken was beyond traumatic) and also hate playing live but they're a by product of doing the thing I love so I suppose I have to put up with that.

Just providing a solid foundation for the bands I play with gives me a buzz I've not been able to find anywhere else.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1452701241' post='2952594']
From the moment we learn joined up thinking we seek approval. We all seek it... some more than others. Perfectly normal.
[/quote]

Apart from those of us who are married. We spend most of our time trying to avoid the need for approval!!! :rolleyes:

I find music very powerful,i always turn to her,im quite soft and lovey dovey but groovy and funky in personality when im happy i have been told.When i heard all the emotion in disco music i would compartmentalise certain phrases which just made the hairs on my arms stand up,they are very different but when i think about it the cure and bernard edwards were the people that made me fall for bass so much.I think girls like blokes who play music and are passionate and i like females alot too so that was a big factor ,plus im a huge showoff.

Edited by YouMa