Why become a member? ×

On stage amp vs. In-ears

LewisK1975

Had a few issues recently with my band members complaining about onstage volume. I'm all for having a manageable onstage volume but there have been times that I've had to turn my amp down so low, that I know all I'm hearing of myself is what's coming out of the PA. So I've been thinking about in-ear monitors..

We run a full FOH (bins and tops) and most of my tone shaping is done by a Sansamp Paradriver so I've no concerns about the sound out front being bad, it's just about being able to hear myself properly on stage whilst keeping the other band members happy (which I do believe is important, so please no suggestions of telling them to just f**k off).

Questions I have:
How have you guys who've made the change to in-ears found it?
Do you go for a full band mix with yourself pushed a little?
Does it only really work if everyone switches to in-ears?
Wired in ears vs. Wireless?

I'm sure there'll be more questions too!! Thanks in advance for any responses!!

I used IEMs for a while, but still went cymbal-deaf, so stuck to earplugs. I DI into the PA and use a small practice combo as a monitor. It has a CD input for playalongs, so now I feed the IEM receiver in to that with the vocals on. Bass and lead vocals pointed at my head all EQ'd to my taste without affecting the audient, and no ringing ears on the way home. I will need much convincing to change.

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1452182247' post='2947371']
I used IEMs for a while, but still went cymbal-deaf, so stuck to earplugs. I DI into the PA and use a small practice combo as a monitor. It has a CD input for playalongs, so now I feed the IEM receiver in to that with the vocals on. Bass and lead vocals pointed at my head all EQ'd to my taste without affecting the audient, and no ringing ears on the way home. I will need much convincing to change.
[/quote]

If you have the option try rolling the super lows off too. Means you can get a more clear sound of the bass without having to crank it. I remove everything below 50hz when i use my amp as monitor only.

Works for me! Not really anything to add about in ears though 😁

Edited by lefrash

Maybe I'm being silly but I wouldn't wear inears unless they had some kind of limiter on them. I've had too many "crazy feedback on stage" incidents to trust that I wouldn't get my eardrums permanently damaged by someone doing something stupid. I'll stick to wearing my (good quality) earplugs and using separate monitors!

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1452186134' post='2947429']
If you have the option try rolling the super lows off too. Means you can get a more clear sound of the bass without having to crank it. I remove everything below 50hz when i use my amp as monitor only.

Works for me! Not really anything to add about in ears though
[/quote]

Yep - bass pot all the way off and a reet good slice off the low mid pot, and a treble boost too. Also gives a pleasing 60s palm-and-pick sound as well. Which is nice.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1452186969' post='2947443']
Maybe I'm being silly but I wouldn't wear inears unless they had some kind of limiter on them. I've had too many "crazy feedback on stage" incidents to trust that I wouldn't get my eardrums permanently damaged by someone doing something stupid. I'll stick to wearing my (good quality) earplugs and using separate monitors!
[/quote]

I never had this problem, it was just that the 'ears' didn't block out enough external sound. Were there mic'ed up cabs in your setup that caused this?

I'd say if you can go with IEM do it.... it's way better than floor monitors and a lot less to carry around.

We spent a fair amount getting a decent set up though but it was worth it. Using a mix of wireless and hard wired (drums/Keys) kept the cost down a bit and we all run our own tablet with the mix app so we have control over individual mixes.....

No feedback, no volume issues.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1452187953' post='2947451']
I'd say if you can go with IEM do it.... it's way better than floor monitors and a lot less to carry around.

We spent a fair amount getting a decent set up though but it was worth it. Using a mix of wireless and hard wired (drums/Keys) kept the cost down a bit and we all run our own tablet with the mix app so we have control over individual mixes.....

No feedback, no volume issues.
[/quote]

+1

In ears rule especially good ones and they definitely reduce the volume of gear you have to cart. If you can stretch to ACS in ears then isolation from cymbals etc is excellent.

We all have our wireless IEMs in my four-piece band with individual mixes. I love it, it gives ear protection plus the ability to have exactly the mix we each want. Particularly useful for BV mixes. Our sound guy mixes any changes we want through the gig. I'd never go back to stage monitors now.

From persnal experience, there are dozens of reasons why IEMs are a good idea! There are also dozens of reasons why IEMs are a disaster.
The type of music would make a huge difference as to their usefulness.
If you're in a pop/cabaret/covers type band, or a band whose arrangements are set in stone, then, IEMs are possibly a great boon.
For the last 30 years I've mostly played in a band that prides itself on its "good live" reputation. A large part of that would be down to the fact that we "play to the room"!
IEMs makes that impossible.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1452190716' post='2947483']
From persnal experience, there are dozens of reasons why IEMs are a good idea! There are also dozens of reasons why IEMs are a disaster.
The type of music would make a huge difference as to their usefulness.
If you're in a pop/cabaret/covers type band, or a band whose arrangements are set in stone, then, IEMs are possibly a great boon.
For the last 30 years I've mostly played in a band that prides itself on its "good live" reputation. A large part of that would be down to the fact that we "play to the room"!
IEMs makes that impossible.
[/quote]

How so? If you mean isolation its not a problem.... either a dedicated ambient mic or www find enough pick up from the overheads anyway

I use wireless IEMs and love them. I have only the FOH vocals coming in at quite a low volume, so it is balanced with the stage sound to my taste. Everything is nice and clear. I use the Gear 4 Music cheap set (about £130 for unit and three wireless packs). The earphones it comes with are a bit pants and I use whatever the Shure £82 earphones are, but in my experience people immediately want to swap the packaged earphones for their preferred ones anyway.

Edited by colgraff

We use a Behringer X32 desk with wifi, so some band members have the appropriate free app on our phones/ipads and can control our own in-ear mix throughout the gig. Nice for me as near zero backline to carry on those gigs.
I've also used a setup where struggling to hear usual monitoring/backline so I take a bass signal in one ear before sending to the main desk.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452246661' post='2947933']
Make some time to read this thread - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/205633-in-ear-monitors-help-needed/"]http://basschat.co.u...rs-help-needed/[/url]

It will tell you everything that you need to know and a lot more. Well worth the time.
[/quote]
Thanks!