Why become a member? ×

NBD Rickenbacker 4003SW

organic

Long had a hankering for a Ricky, my Squier J bass is a fine instrument but I just love that Ricky sound. Tried a 4003S out in a shop in Brum and it was fine apart from the fingerboard width at the nut end, made it feel a bit fat, esp being used to a J. Also they only had a mapleglo model in stock, which I really don't like looks-wise - hey if you're paying out that much money you want all the boxes ticked! So I ended up ordering one online. Struggling with the colour choice I ended up going for Walnut as it's the only one they make afaik with a maple neck.

When it arrived I was very impressed - it's totally unpainted, just bare wood, which feels great. Also the fingerboard at the nut end was quite a bit narrower than the one I tried in the shop; I don't know if that's the difference between models or just variation between individual instruments. It seems very bright in terms of tone, I'm still experimenting with getting my ideal tone out of it - lot of bottom with a bright attack to cut through the mix. Generally it sounds good out of the amp but when I record it (DI) and play back, it has a rather pinched sound, iykwim.

I have a spare set of Status half-wounds which I use on the J and they sound great; anyone tried them on a Ricky?

Congrats; a real beauty. :)

I think all the necks are a bit different, I picked up a walnut S the other day and the far end of the neck certainly felt chunkier than my rosewood S. One very nice benefit of the walnut/maple build over the all maple is the weight saving. Enjoy.

They are lovely basses, the Walnut ones are stunning, and no horrific binding! Congrats :)

Surprised about the neck/nut comments, though. Surely QC of a mass produced instrument at this price point should mean they are all the same, or at least similar enough not to be differentiated? Completely understandable when comparing the current S models to the S models from previous years, unless they do change the specs year on year?