Why become a member? ×

Where to start when it comes to Jazz?

Naetharu

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1450772659' post='2935603']
I ventured into jazz recently when an offer came up to be in a jazz band. It was doing old standard type stuff that I can't remember the name of. All I know is I thought I'd prepared myself well by learning chord tones and the key of the song with the progressions. I crashed and burned and now I never want to play it again. For me, it was too much thought - i couldn't just play without processing what I was doing next and after that and that too.

I know comfort would come from experience in that aspect, but the 10 years I have of playing mostly funk/rock etc was of little use to me.
[/quote]

Pretty much exactly the same thing happened to me, and it all in all wasn't a pleasant experience. Since though I have/re-connected with some just incredible jazz players, and actually just flat "jamming" with them has a been an incredible learning experience. Especially when a guy who knows what he's doing when it comes to the Bass in jazz is there too to ask and observe as it goes on. Definitely something I wish I could know more about though.

Esbjorn Svensson Trio are very listenable and a great way to dip your toe in. Dan Berglund played upright but he used effects, even distortion, from time to time. Svensson also ran his piano through a pod, they were really something special. Viaticum is a great place to start.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAEOpUN8lDg[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gXhwv9_ZS0[/media]

Since many jazz styles build on the styles that came before them, I see little harm in simply starting with very old jazz (most of it is simple music to a modern ear), and working your way through the decades.
You're bound to pick up faves on the road, and could easily (with our guidance if wished for) delve deeper into the stuff you like.

An experienced musical ear does not, IME and IMO, need to exclusively go for the most accessible stuff.
Whilst I'd say it may be good to avoid AMM, Derek Bailey and Evan Parker in the beginning, those are in fact some of the names who drew me personally into jazz to start with. IOW there are no absolutes, and liking something is more important than understanding something (for example because it's accessible).

With your background from electronica in mind:
Have you heard Hooverphonic ("A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular", their first album, initially under the Hoover name) or Xploding Plastix ("Amateur Girlfriends Go Proskirt Agents", their debut)?
Also, I feel a lot of acid jazz, whilst only marginally referring to jazz's structures, does convey a lot of the feel, and might be a soft way in.
Look up Bubinga's recent thread on

Also the elevator West Coast jazzpop on the GRP label might provide a way in. Dave Grusin and Lee Ritenour are some names.
Pat Metheny's "Bright Size Life" or his "Still Life (Talking)" may be of your liking.
Also the pretty music on ECM, like Jan Garbarek's "Dis", "It's OK to Listen to the Gray Voice" or "I took Up the Runes" might be a nice start.

As to more "core" jazz, I'd dive into Miles Davis and John Coltrane, and thereafter report back here about what you actually liked of it. Both of them have vast arrays of musical styles and complexities.
Some of it is dead simple and pretty. Some of it is relatively far out, but in general, if you like the generally more demanding free jazz right away, I see no reason to avoid it.

If you want a sampler of all sorts of jazz classics to see what forms you find you gravitate towards you can't beat this compilation album...

#1 Jazz Album Ever! by Various Artists
https://itun.es/gb/XR-sA

150 tracks by all the greats and many all time classic tunes for £5.99. That's about 4p a tune so even if you only like 10% it is still a bargain. Plus you'll know better the areas and artists who float your boat and those who do nothing for you...

Know your chord theory and begin with 12 bar stuff I guess. If you can find some backing tracks then you can get comfortable with improvising and learning lines to play under the basic 12 bar structure. That should give you a nice jumping off point to playing over chord charts without feeling like you have no idea what you're doing.

Aye, but most of the posts here talk about Naetharu's listening pleasure. He specifically asked about help finding something to listen to, and only added that he would like to play it later as well.
I think he'll be OK with what has been proposed, and can always report back again about his findings.

Although not sure it really counts as jazz, I got roped into playing in a 20s/30s dance band. I knew very little of the music, and all the other players were excellent sight readers. Intimidating.
But the sheets had chords on, so I had to apply myself to sorting out the rythym reading. It went well, I wish it had been a longer term project. Might just try and do more in the New Year.