Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 7pro

lushuk

Well my amp went down again, just out of warranty it's had a new amp section by polar audio and 3 repairs, I love the amp when it works, I only use it for around 40-50 hours a year, so do I get it repaired again or give up, so far it's clocked up £200 of repairs......... Just disappointed (it was a rev c and had the new amp section just over a year ago!

Sorry to hear this. I was looking at a 7pro as the spec seemed perfect but there is just [i]so [/i]much negative feedback regarding it. I contacted Ampeg about it and they told me the issues had been resolved. Obviously they have not. :(

It's difficult to trust gear that has failed and been repaired. It's always at the back of your mind that it could let you down again, possibly at a very awkward and embarrassing time. Either you need to get it fixed yet again and carry a decent back-up, or cut your losses. I think I'd get rid of it and move on.

It doesn't actually matter if it is out of warranty. It clearly wasn't 'of merchantable quality' or arguably 'fit for purpose' when you bought it. Without knowing the exact details I can't be precise, but the vendor still has a responsibility to make good the item if it has broken sooner than a reasonable person would expect. This is irrespective of the warranty period and is precisely what the phrase "Your statutory rights are not affected." No reasonable person would expect an amplifier that cost hundreds of pounds to fail within a few years.

Cheers for you thoughts guys, yeah it is a great sound especially with my Berg cab, i wasn't the original purchaser so I'm guessing that makes a difference to what colgraff is saying, although i have the purchase receipt, heres a quick timeline!

Purchased March 2012 £658
New amp fitted by Ampeg March 2013
Repair June 2014 £84
Repair Aug 2015 £130
Repair Oct 2015 £75
Amp fail Dec 2015

Certainly on the last 2 repairs were different components, i will phone Polar Audio and see what they say but i guess it will be a bit to late as its 3 3/4 years old.............. i just have to decide to go for the repair or get a new or 2nd hand head

I would cut my losses now if it was me.
Contact Polar, see what they say, maybe use the "not of merchantable quality/fit for purpose" approach with them. If they fix it for free chuck it on Gumtree but if they dont just close the door on it and move on.
Cant be using gear you cant trust if youre gigging regularly, its always going to be in the back of your mind. And it sounds like its just a matter of waiting for it to go pop again.........

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1450691749' post='2934837']
...sounds like its just a matter of waiting for it to go pop again...
[/quote]

Yes. And looking at the timeline that is likely to be sooner rather than later, unfortunately. Maybe have a close look at consumer protection law and see what can be done.

Edited by discreet

I contacted Polar Audio, and they said they will talk to Ampeg and see what they say but don't hold you breathe type of thing, in the meantime I'll look out for something 2nd hand I reckon, there's a streamliner in the classifieds, or will that be the same class problems

[quote name='lushuk' timestamp='1450778369' post='2935690']
So you like Aguilar 😄 I looked those but the tonehammer only does 500w, they recommend 1000w for my cab 😢
[/quote]

Eh? You're coming from 500w? ONLY 500w... What's the cab?

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='lushuk' timestamp='1450778369' post='2935690']
So you like Aguilar... I looked those but the tonehammer only does 500w, they recommend 1000w for my cab
[/quote]
[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1450778772' post='2935706']
ONLY 500w..?
[/quote]

Unless you're regularly playing festivals or stadia without PA support (which would never be the case) I find it hard to imagine a situation in which you'd need more than a 500W bass amp. I've used 500W in seriously loud rock bands (with a 1000W RMS cab) and never had the master up further than 12 o'clock. In any case the Tonehammers are subjectively very loud amps. More importantly, they don't fail on a regular basis.

[quote name='lushuk' timestamp='1450785677' post='2935811']
2 full Marshall stacks and the drummer from hell lol, trust me you need it, we need a screen for the drummer ������
[/quote]

Very good, but you're all playing WAY too loud. IMHO, YMMV, etc etc etc... probably for another thread (Do you really NEED a 1Kw amp?) I hope you (and your audience) are using proper ear protection. ;)

Edited by discreet

Well we do put noise and strobe warnings on the doors, we are described as a stadium band in a pub as we take a big show out, lights stage, lasers, etc, maybe to loud for some but we can't turn the drummer down As for do I need 1k, that's the recommended power for the cab

[quote name='lushuk' timestamp='1450786415' post='2935827']
Well we do put noise and strobe warnings on the doors, we are described as a stadium band in a pub as we take a big show out, lights stage, lasers, etc, maybe to loud for some but we can't turn the drummer down �� As for do I need 1k, that's the recommended power for the cab ��
[/quote]

Well each to his own, it would be a dull world, one man's meat, nowt as queer as folk, etc. etc. :) When you say 'recommended power for the cab' do you mean the cab is rated at 1000W RMS? That doesn't necessarily mean you absolutely have to use an amp that is rated at that figure. But I digress... good luck getting your 7pro fixed, let's hope Polar come up with the goods.

Edited by discreet

No just what bass direct recommend to get the best from the cab, I think to be fair we are just a pub band who get a kick from having a ott stage show in a pub and it seems to work, we generally have a few hundred come to watch (more determined by venue size) and we have venues on a waiting list for us to play at........... We are by no means the best musicians but we put a lot into it and most of all have fun 😄