Why become a member? ×

Strange things I've heard on the radio to do with mixes

MarkG3

So on a few tracks I've heard on the radio there's been some things that I have noticed different to the versions off the album. I don't mean like radio edits or clean versions I'm talking about the mix.

On three separate songs I have noticed these following things, any input as to why this happens would be good.

When I Come Around - Green Day

The bass track was quite considerably louder than the album version, I can pick the notes ok from the album but this version I didn't even need to try to hear it.

Mercy - Muse

Same as above, I think the bass is quiet on this song especially in the intro where the drums seem to shadow the bass. But again on the radio the bass track was significantly louder and could hear it note for note

Revolt - Muse

Similar thing but with the backing vocals/harmonies in the chorus. I can faintly pick out some but on the radio the BV are almost the same level as the lead vocal.

Any reasons why this would be and is there anyway of finding these tracks with the boosted parts?

I've searched YouTube but had no luck

Thanks!

Yes. Each radio station has its own 'signature' eq/compression added to all the programs before broadcast.

Was listening to Stand by Me on Absolute radio last night and thinking how different the bass seemed to sound. A very upfront and punchy modern sound.

Not on the Radio, but I once had an album on CD by LoFi Allstars and track 7 (i remember the track number but not the name) had a completely different synth section in the middle to every other version I've heard (Itunes version, everyone elses CD). My CD was identical in every way to all the others I've seen (not a special edition etc) but for some reason had a different version of that track on it... bizarre.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1449584049' post='2924849']
Not on the Radio, but I once had an album on CD by LoFi Allstars and track 7 (i remember the track number but not the name) had a completely different synth section in the middle to every other version I've heard (Itunes version, everyone elses CD). My CD was identical in every way to all the others I've seen (not a special edition etc) but for some reason had a different version of that track on it... bizarre.
[/quote]

I've got an old CD copy of Cheap Trick's "At Budokan" album where the solos in "Ain't That a Shame" are totally different to every other version I've got or ever heard.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1449586525' post='2924888']
I have been listening to eiter FM or digital radio for a long time now. Recently i heard some old medium wave radio and could not believe how poor the sound used to be.
[/quote]

Have you not heard how poor the sound of most digital radio stations are - especially when compared to their FM counterparts...?

Without me sounding stupid but how would they be able to increase individual tracks through compression? I guess they've probably got a whole lot of tech stuff to enable them to do it.

It's weird how there could be different versions on the albums, I love hearing demos and all that stuff!

[quote name='MarkG3' timestamp='1449744054' post='2926379']
Without me sounding stupid but how would they be able to increase individual tracks through compression?
[/quote]

Not individual tracks, but individual frequencies, or bands of frequencies, using EQ and multi-band compression