Why become a member? ×

Bass to Drums back to bass

bonnp

i am well mixed up, was learning bass, had maybe 8 lessons or more and was starting to play odd songs,octaves, scales and getting to the point i could work out the odd song and i got bored, in july and stopped dead, sold my basses bar one, sold my amps, bought a electric guitar, gave up after 2 weeks , started drums, had 8 lessons and going really well ...but being listening to the spinners, il be around, ub40 dont break my heart and i want to start bass again, my teacher teaches both but i am confused, long term clinical depression does not help, but i need to play songs, grooves i like else boredom sneaks in, drums is great but the bass gives more dimension, i feel i have wasted ayear or so again, but have good timeing, counting etc i am i too mixed up, miss the bass so much,grr so unsure on what to do

I'm not qualified to dish out advice about depression but in terms of your uncertainty with instruments, it doesn't have to be one or the other. Play whichever one makes you happy at the time. :)

Some days I don't much fancy the Bass, not often but now and then, on those occasions I'll play my Mandolin or Acoustic Guitar.

Here's my experience.

Playing an instrument as a beginner is boring once you get over the original burst of enthusiasm. There are only a few things you can do so unless you are OCD constant repetition of a few riffs, scales or simple songs just isn't very rewarding. Keep going and of course one or two songs expands to a dozen then much, much more. Now your practice isn't boring and it's easier to do more as a result. At this point you can start looking for other people to play with and that brings its own pleasures.

When I was younger I never had the staying power to stick with an instrument long enough to cross that hump. Coming back to it I just managed to get to the point where I could contribute to a band, started gigging a few months later and I can't imagine ever being bored again.

So, choose an instrument and stick with it. Learn whole songs, nothing wrong with scales except they are so dull. Playing along with whole songs is fun. Bass and drums aren't really solo instruments so get out playing with other people as soon as you can. Intellectually you know that but realising it emotionally the first time you play in a band and it works is a whole other level.

No harm at all in playing both bass and drums, at least a couple of people here do it.I suspect the majority of bassists play more than one instrument (to some extent), from what I've read in the comments since I've been on here I'd guess a majority probably own at least one skinny string guitar as well as the basses.

Try and make practices fun, play along to your favourite music, doesnt matter if you can't play it like the record, concentrate on the root notes and rhythms and in time the rest will come.

Edited by Cato

You need to give an instrument much more than a few weeks to see if it's for you. Drums in my experience - I've been playing for 10 years - is a life instrument. What I mean is if you practice you will continue to improve but it's a very slow process. Bass is different IMHO. You can get to a "good enough" standard to play with other musicians quite quickly and then you can continue to improve as you learn more etc.

As said above, I've no idea if depression or OCD has anything to do with it, but I would stick with a single instrument, get in a band of beginners and have some fun.

Davo

I started off with guitar as a teenager, then bass (briefly...), then drums, but I've continued to learn/play/get better at all of these over the decades, and still play 'em all (no, not all at once, you fool..!). Unless aiming for uber virtuosity, there's no real reason to not pursue any , or more (keys..?); that learned from one is always useful for another, in many ways. There is one essential for any learning (instruments, foreign language, cookery... Whatever...), and that's motivation. Go for whatever you're motivated to; and if your whim changes, so be it. It's not the most efficient course, but human beings are not required to be efficient. You have one life. Do your best with it, as judged through your own eyes.

I've played bass for 24yrs and drums for less than 2. I'm a far better drummer than bass player and have already done functions, festivals and a corporate show on drums but I just have no urge to play anything but bass. I think it's the pulava of transporting and setting them up. I'm not a bad bass player and have done some great (for me) gigs but naturally drums come more easily. I almost have to be talked into playing them. I also have issues with depression.