Why become a member? ×

Patience and learning when it comes to basses and GAS

LukeFRC

I recently made a setup change on one of my basses that breathed new life into it.
It's great, I knew it was a great instrument but it just seems to reward playing it- I've had it and played it for a year and I've still got more to learn about how it reacts, how it sounds in certain positions and right hand attack styles.

It made me think.
My main bass I had for about 3 years, stuck it up for sale on here a few times too, before I fell in love with it.

I wonder for a lot of us if we don't spend enough time with new gear before deciding to move it on?

(amps are a whole another thing, with even more knobs!)

That`s a very good point there. We seem to be eternally searching for tone nirvana, whereas maybe we should concentrate on the playing and the actual setup of the instrument to get the sounds we want. Raising/lowering the height of pickups can have a real effect on the sound of the bass. Raising the height of the action, even just a half turn can really seem to breathe life into the sound. The opposite also can be true, for my band I need fret-clank on hard hit notes so too high on the action and the bass doesn`t work for me.

It`s easy to lust after a new bass/amp/cab but in reality most of these will do what we need. I do a lot of gigs supporting named bands, and at many venues the rigs are provided, and not always super-duper Ampeg stacks I should add. I`m yet to see any of the bassists get the hump about the gear provided, they just get their sound and play. I think we obsess a little too much - not a criticism though, it`s darn good fun.

I pretty much know what to expect and so I've made a good decision
over time. I've never bought anything and sold it on in weeks because
it didn't work.

There tend to be tone bias in things like Maple and RW but anything you buy is
on its own merits. I never think all bass models will sound a certain way until I play them.
There are so many variations in the same model which is why I tend to groan when
people ask which is the best bass... no one knows until you play them in context.

I'm a great believer in construction making more of a difference ..or as much as the
woods... and the better construction and materials the better.

So altho I'm considering another bass, I'll buy it when I find it and if I think I can develop it
to be a working bass...Of course, I'll set it up and that is an ongoing thing.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1447006449' post='2904105']
I pretty much know what to expect and so I've made a good decision
over time. I've never bought anything and sold it on in weeks because
it didn't work.

There tend to be tone bias in things like Maple and RW but anything you buy is
on its own merits. I never think all bass models will sound a certain way until I play them.
There are so many variations in the same model which is why I tend to groan when
people ask which is the best bass... no one knows until you play them in context.

I'm a great believer in construction making more of a difference ..or as much as the
woods... and the better construction and materials the better.

So altho I'm considering another bass, I'll buy it when I find it and if I think I can develop it
to be a working bass...Of course, I'll set it up and that is an ongoing thing.
[/quote] I think that's what I'm thinking... you go into a shop and try 20-30 basses or whatever ... and you find one that sings to you and you get that "something" that tells you it's a good instrument.... I think it's then once you have the thing it will take you a while to get to learn it and how it reacts.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1446903772' post='2903369']I wonder for a lot of us if we don't spend enough time with new gear before deciding to move it on?
[/quote]I have exactly the opposite problem: I've been playing long enough to have a very good idea of which basses will be great after a good setup, so I buy them and then I NEVER want to let them go! :)

Space is becoming an issue. I'm very lucky to have a forgiving and understanding wife (and an ever-growing stable of great basses).