Why become a member? ×

Effective use of compression

Kenny Gair

Hi all. Whilst I'm well acquainted to the use of compression at a desk when mixing, I've never really got on with it on my bass. I know a lot of players use it regularly and apparently to great benefit but I just can't get it sorted at all....In fact, I generally turn it off at my head, preferring to just avoid it. I do feel like I'm missing out though! Is it because I'm relying on my head to provide compression or should I use an external device? Maybe a good tutorial on the use of compression would help. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Ta :)

a. The compression knob on most heads offers very limited control. I think this is the main reason people use pedals for this. Different people like different levels of control, but 1 knob is a bit extreme. My Keeley Comp Pro has 5 knobs and 2 switches and I don't think any of them are redundant. Many people like 2 or 3 knob versions.

b. Try slapping with and without compression. The difference should be pretty obvious. Not only does the comp even out the levels, it actually changes the sound in a way that I find pleasant. If you don't hear a difference when slapping - something is wrong with the setup.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1446622509' post='2900809']
Check out [url="https://www.ovnilab.com/"]this[/url] website, it should help.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]http://www.ovnilab.com/[/url]

your link used https which might not work in some browsers

[quote name='Kenny Gair' timestamp='1446621888' post='2900804']
I generally turn it off at my head, preferring to just avoid it.
[/quote]

There's your answer. If you find you don't need one, don't use one. I became obsessed by compression and got through some very expensive bits of kit (dbx, Diamond, Keeley, Empress, Carl Martin, Origin, etc etc) and in the end realised that I really preferred to control my dynamics myself and didn't need a compressor at all.

I might use parallel compression when recording, but live the effect of even a high-end comp can be very subtle and is quickly negated by that bloke making a huge racket right next to your earhole, i.e. the drummer. Your mileage may vary. :)

Edited by discreet

I'm with you on this one Discreet. I used compression on gigs for years, but after reading the thread about compression a few months ago (the one that turned a bit sour) I tried gigging without it. What a revelation. I'm now in full control of my dynamics. For live playing I want to be able to express myself fully on stage but I fully understand that a FOH engineer will probably want to compress me in the FOH mix. And for recording it's a must but I prefer to use parallel compression, again, to let the dynamics of my playing come through.
To the OP - unless you're after that compressed sound I wouldn't say you're missing out. Give it a go, but don't think you have to use it just because others do. You have more control of your sound and dynamics in your fingers than you might think....

what do people mean by dynamics? Sometimes people mean they can go louder (for a chorus compared to a verse, for example) where sometimes people are talking about the attack of their notes in milliseconds

I use parallel compression, about 50/50, and very squishy. I get complimented on my sound every time I play bass (not very often!)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1446636715' post='2900960']
I use parallel compression, about 50/50, and very squishy. I get complimented on my sound every time I play bass (not very often!)
[/quote]

That's not because of the compression though, it's because you're such a tasteful and sensitive player... :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1446637068' post='2900963']
That's not because of the compression though, it's because you're such a tasteful and sensitive player... :)
[/quote]

Not so; every time he turns the compression off, he reverts to a sh*te sound. :P :lol:

(Disclaimer: Comment made for comic effect only; I've never seen/heard him play at all, but I'm sure he's quite good. :mellow: )

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1446637068' post='2900963']
[/quote]

Heh, not with my current band, the opposite in fact!

EDIT: I suppose my previous point was that people often say "compression is for levelling out differences in volume" and IMO it's not at all. It's for modifying the transient envelope of your notes. You can use compression, and still have control over your "dynamics", depending on what you mean by that

Edited by cheddatom

I went through the compressor phase, don`t use one now which is probably down to two things. Firstly, loads of pro-bands I gig with don`t seem to have the need (bear in mind I play punk so possibly not needed for that anyway), and secondly, not being too good with techie things, I probably wasn`t using them properly anyway.

I only use light compression live but I tend to use just enough to even out the dynamics ever so slightly... mostly to bring the quieter parts up to volume while allowing me to play sensitively (think "Don't Stop me Now" by Queen).

I feel, for me, when the compression starts to become noticeable, it's usually set too strong.