Why become a member? ×

Support for support bands

Marvin

I don't get to go to gigs very much, however, for the half dozen or so I've got to in the last year I suppose. What was noticeable was that support bands basically played to themselves and the sound engineer. When the headline band were to start playing the room fills up.

To an extent I suppose it's always been so, but it seemed much more obvious to me that support bands weren't being supported.

What size gigs were these Marvin? A couple of years back I tour managed for a US blues guitarist supporting Gary Moore. He got great audiences every night until Hammersmith. I introduced the band on stage every night and when I stepped out on stage for that one I might as well have nipped around the hall and introduced the band personally to the few that were in there. Luckily, they were so good, within two songs they'd drawn a respectable crowd in from the bar!

There is also a change in how some venues use their space. Now some of them want 2 different sets of people paying to go in the same venue same night in 2 sessions - live act on, get them out then get new set in for a club night. Result - bands all on early which means support on stupidly early playing to no one because punters can barely make it in time from work to make the main act let alone anyone else.

Back in the old days people might be more likely to take a gamble with an unknown support. Bands now have so much more exposure via the internet that it is easier for people to get an idea what they are like in advance and if it's not to their taste may decide not to bother turning up until later?

I think it depends on the size/type of venue; for smaller ones I try to get there in time for the support bands, watch them & have a few pints. But for bigger venues & more well known acts the cost of the drinks & tickets is just so high that sometimes I'll miss the support so I can have a few reasonably priced drinks around the corner - otherwise it just turns into a ridiculously expensive evening, especially if I know they're not really my bag.

It`s one of those things that just happens and the support bands just have to work really hard to overcome it. If you sound good from outside people will poke their heads through the door and if they like what they hear, stay. They`ll then tell their mates about you. It`s the only way, build up a following slowly, gig in different areas of the country and do the same, all helps. I wouldn`t say we`re a big band by any means, but in a year and a half of gigging we`ve gone from being unknown to now getting good support slots/festivals, and having a good few people buy our merch and talk to us at gigs about their fave tracks etc.

The "old ways" really are the way to do it, put in the hard graft, play to 6 people like you`re playing to 6000, don`t throw strops cos the venues empty, thank the sound guy who has just had his easiest night in ages, be nice to the one punter who comes up to you and chats about music. All of this goes a long way to climbing up the ladder.

Where we are it is not uncommon for bills to be made of bands of differing genres, especially on a local level. I've seen hard rock bands supported by indie acoustic acts.
When you mix up bands like that, it's hardly surprising that people don't stay for all the bands.
We also get a lot of local support acts support bigger acts, normally the people who come to see the bigger bands have no love the scene so won't bother to watch the support.
there are also a lot of "go to" bands around here, who will get on bills because of their ease and availability, so often will some play that the interest in them wanes due to being on so much.
just some observations

Edited by RockfordStone