Why become a member? ×

No more boutique basses for me (for now)

paulie

Would have to agree ... while high end is nice (you don't wanna see my house lol) ... in real life a factory made P bass with half decent pickup will do the job more than fine.

I have Squire JV P and no need to change anything in it ... sounds great as is and has more character than a lot of high end P you can find...

in the end this high end thing is so much fun but most of it is bollox :D ...

Well, it's decided, I'm going to commision one... as everything else I've seen/heard/played has been a let down,

Degrees of let-down, sure, but a let down nether the less.
What is the point fight ting something..it is never going to get there..?

or maybe the fun is knocking it into shape..??

In response to JT's post above, I was never satisfied when upgrading a stock bass, only because I always wanted a killer stock bass that was great out of the box as I was never fully satisfied when I did tinker, can of worms fodder for me. I agree with all who say that a cheaper non boutique bass can do a just as good job, it certainly can. But until I find a bass that perfectly balances, weighs, looks, feels and sounds as good as my Lull them I'm sticking to boutique. Can't see myself ever parting with it.

Am loving that the OP came back to the dark side of the budget ;)

Have to say that Lull are a benchmark... Not many get close altho I saw a few recently at around £2k new....IIRC.
I wonder how they compare to the 'proper' ones..??

There is something about bonding with a bass.... and to do that it has to hit your mark in virtually every way...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1451749391' post='2943086']
Have to say that Lull are a benchmark... Not many get close altho I saw a few recently at around £2k new....IIRC.
I wonder how they compare to the 'proper' ones..??

There is something about bonding with a bass.... and to do that it has to hit your mark in virtually every way...
[/quote]

I actually just sold a Lull PJ4 that is easily the best Lull I've played, but I clicked with my other one more, hard to say why. However if the one I sold was my only Lull, I wouldn't have sold it or looked around, it was that good. All my 3 Lull's have been.

What do you mean by 'proper one' JT?

Isn't it also about budget or how much you feel is a justifiable spend? Nobody needs a Merc or BM, yet many people drive one. The added "quality" over a good Skoda or Mazda is often elusive yet people still spend the extra cash.

I have a custom JB5 (not much more expensive than a Fender Deluxe Jazz V by the way) that is exactly how I wanted it. Is it better? Probably only a little, would a Fender do the job? Yes, could I get the same level of bespokeness? Unlikely.

I would never feel a Wal is justifiable, but if someone wants to have one who am I to judge. I also do not drive a Merc or BM whilst many of my colleagues do, it's their money.

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1451750173' post='2943096']
Isn't it also about budget or how much you feel is a justifiable spend?
[/quote]

Exactly that.

I feel blessed I could afford a Lull. It's 100% justifiable to me as it beats the pre CBS, Custom Shop, JV snd US std's that I owned, by a country mile, but only with my tastes and needs in mind of course.

I have friends at work who can spend £2k on annual holidays, yet I get to keep my Lull for good ;)

Just that I noted that these new ones were going for around £2k whereas the normal price was £3k plus...
I wondered if they had a cheaper range.....

It may well be that the 'new' ones werren't atcually new, but VGC S/H ones..??

I must admit I didn't have a really good close look as I was looking at other basses...

I have to say, from a buyer and marque POV, I don't go for a premium maker
downgrading a new cheaper range, generally...
I may be mistaken here and they weren't new basses.
If that is the case.,.they were holding their SH price well..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1451751799' post='2943110']
Just that I noted that these new ones were going for around £2k whereas the normal price was £3k plus...
I wondered if they had a cheaper range.....

It may well be that the 'new' ones werren't atcually new, but VGC S/H ones..??

I must admit I didn't have a really good close look as I was looking at other basses...

I have to say, from a buyer and marque POV, I don't go for a premium maker
downgrading a new cheaper range, generally...
I may be mistaken here and they weren't new basses.
If that is the case.,.they were holding their SH price well..??
[/quote]

I've noticed on Bass Direct's website that they state a £3k full list price, but sell them for way less, check out the V5 on their site. I've not heard of a cheaper range, and the prices here relatively reflect the US prices. I found they can have a decent second hand price, guess that also depends on spec and demand etc.

I met Mike Lull last year, dropped into the workshop for a peek and a chat. He didn't disappoint, friendly, warm and very passionate. It's a huge buzz to know that the guy who built my fave bass is a top man.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1451752241' post='2943117']
He didn't disappoint, friendly, warm and very passionate. It's a huge buzz to know that the guy who built my fave bass is a top man.
[/quote]

Same with my de Gier, it is an extra bonus that he is a really nice guy who cares about his clients.

I used to own 2 Lulls, still have very fond memories of them. Mike Lull helped me out with a bespoke passive wiring loom with seperate tone knobs for each volume knob on my MV5 pretty much at cost. I moved back to 34" due to a minor hand injury that makes playing 35" for long stints a challenge, would still have them otherwise.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1451752241' post='2943117']
I've noticed on Bass Direct's website that they state a £3k full list price, but sell them for way less...
[/quote]

Thanks, D. Now I've got GAS for the 3-Tone P4 with the Lindy pup. Hnnggg...