Why become a member? ×

Bass boost/volume pedal??

highwayone

First question is whether you need this to be an on/off switch, or more like a volume pedal that you can control gradually. Second option is whether you want a "dirty" boost introducing overdrive/distortion into the sound, or just a clean boost giving more volume with no change to the quality of the sound.

Each decision will point to a different direction...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1446380646' post='2898872']
I`d look at one of these programmable grahics - a boost of overall volume or specific frequency could do just the job:

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/toolblox/programmable_eq.php
[/quote]

Cheers Lozz, I'll have a gander at that.

A switch is simple and less prone to errors on the gig. A volume pedal is, for my clumsy feet, more suited to sat-down work. Don't buy cheap though; any noise in the volume pot is going to get amplified. If you have a serial effects loop it might be possible to fit it there but my recollection is that you need a different pot resistance for this configuration.

[quote name='ProfFrink' timestamp='1446379431' post='2898860']... just a clean boost giving more volume with no change to the quality of the sound...
[/quote]

I use the volume knob; I'd start of with it rolled back enough, then roll it up when I want a bit more, and roll it back when I'm done.

You might consider an EQ pedal, as this should do a pretty clean boost, but also, I think you might find you only want to boost mids. I think if you boost from 150Hz down, it'll sound pretty empty when you turn off the boost, unless it's really subtle. Obviously it depends on the type of gig you're playing. If there's no PA with subs then you'd probably be fine with just a clean boost, but obviously with an EQ pedal you always have the option