Why become a member? ×

Help me choose a combo & stack - decent quality/price

funkydamo

Hi guys, the time has come for me to stop being tight and invest in some new gear.
I have been using a Behringer 300w ultrabass head for years now, along with a 4x10 marshal combo.
They give me what i need, but are a bit tired now.

Ideally i'm after a combo around the 200w mark - for taking to rehearsals and maybe small gigs - and also a decent stack of 300w + for larger gigs.

Price is a restriction - as i have just layed out close to 1k on a couple of 5 string warwick corvette basses (a big upgrade from a 6 string shine bass, and a 5 string bass collection)
So ideally im hoping to pick up 2nd hand gear in the region of £100-£200 for a combo - and up to £300 for a stack

So my questions to you all are:

What would be a good price for a good amp?
I play in a 70s disco/chic/funk type band - seldom delve into rock - so that would give an idea of the sort of sound i go for.

Am i being too ambitious with what i want to spend?

What should i avoid like the plague?

I have a soft spot for trace - but i know they dropped in quality a few years ago.
Am i better off giving them a wide berth?

Thanks in advance for all your help guys

I'd say a good Markbass 102 Combo will take you a long way as the sound is capable.
Add a 210 under the 102 combo and you have a set-up that will do you on most places
and if that runs out of steam, then it is likely everyone else will be and you'll be hiring in PA

I've normally been quite critical of Markbass but the 102 combo is a gem, IMO...
I wouldn't say the same about the 121 myself even tho it uses the same amp.

Admittedly, I've disregarded your budget but you can thank me later :lol:

Very very capable combo...IME.

With the budget available I`d follow JTs advice and look for a combo with matching ext cab. Nice and modular, and if a 210 combo with 210 speaker, well plenty for all but the biggest venues. Spreading the budget over 3 pieces of gear would be unlikely to be any kind of upgrade to your current rig.

Thanks guys, all help very much appreciated.
I have my eye on something lightweight for gigging (genz benz? good choice? - possible trade on the cards for a bass so may only need to buy matching cabs)
I have a trace elliot combo sorted (hopefully) for practice/small gigs.

My thoughts are of getting a 15" and a 4 x10 (or 2x10) cab for easy transport.

I think the markbass stuff may be out of my budget this time, but when i look at upgrading again i will be looking in their direction for sure.
Although i admit ive not starting shopping around yet for markbass so i may get lucky!

I forgot to mention - i'm always DI'd anyway so its only for backline.
as long as i cut through on stage thats all i need really.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1444908008' post='2887169']
If its only for use for on stage monitoring i dont see the need for 2 seperate setups?
One 2X10 or 2X12 or even a 112 should be more than sufficient for on stage monitoring?
[/quote]

This! Modern 2x10's are very loud and capable. Barefaced and TC RS 2x10 cabs are selling on here at great prices. I'd go for a single cab and a head, more flexibility than a combo..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.
I have decided that lightweight is the way to go.
Markbass looks to be the likely choice but I'm not 100% decided.
Should I stick with my idea of a 15 and a 2x10?
Does the little mark 2 do the job or are there better heads out there? Should I be looking at other brands,as markbass seems to have as many negative opinions as they do positive.

Markbass sound either works for you or doesn`t - if it does you`ll love it, if it doesn`t it`s a very difficult sound to get away from. For me it just seems to work well with a Precision, really brings out the best of the instrument. It`s also a sound that`s very difficult - imo - to judge without being in the mix. It just seems to really shine when the band is playing but on its own sound a bit meh.

A 210 & 115 should pair together fine, I`ve had a good few different brands with that set-up, all sounded great but you end up with two fairly different sounding cabs and once you have a sound you like with both you then in general you always need both to get it. I`d get two 210s. One should be ok for rehearsals and smaller gigs, both for the bigger stuff. using the same cab but twice means no need to re-eq.

LM2 - great amps, as are the LM3s. Main difference is a level control for the DI/Line Out. If you do a lot of gigs through an external PA this feature is very useful.

Thanks Lozz, although ive been playing for 20 odd years - I have never been overly concerned with gear.
Just picked up whatever bargain came my way & always seem to get a sound I like, must just be lucky haha.
Now I'm older I feel its time to educate myself and actively chase the basses and amps/cabs I want.
Always wanted a warwick and recently bought a couple of German made corvettes, also bought myself a smooth hound wireless kit, so now just need the high end cab to complete the overhaul.
I'm not too fussy on my 'sound' as long as I can get a tone I like.
Would I benefit with some sort of pre-amp or pedal for some versatility (those MB heads look shy on knobs and buttons haha) I always use active basses anyway.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='funkydamo' timestamp='1445640578' post='2893127']
[/quote]

I would get a single 2x10 to start with and then see if you need anything else. If you really did need a 2nd cab (which I seriously doubt you would do especially if you rig is for monitoring mostly) i'd add a 2nd identical cab. A cab tilting stand is a good idea for a monitoring rig as well - a lot cheaper than buying a 2nd cab just to get some ear level sound, having said that if you want a 2nd cab for vanity purposes (which is the main reason I use 2 cabs if I'm honest...) then go for it B) .

Edited by bassman7755

I wouldnt go for the Mark bass if you like the Trace sound and will be playing funk and disco stuff
i would consider an Ashdown A.B.M. 500 and 4x10 which you should be able to pick up for not much more than your budget s.h.
its not light weight though but sounds closer to the Trace sound ,a bit warmer and more valve like..

Ive always used Ashdown stuff and never had any problems so a +1 from me on them.

Just to throw another one in the mix, ive got a friend who switched from A Trace rig to a TC electronic rig, seems to love it, Ive no experience with them personally but i do really like the look, something to consider?

Thanks guys.
Does the little mark 2 do the job...
[/quote]

Works for me on both PA and back line only gigs... And the LM2 + 2x10 works for rehearsals and coffee bar gigs...

As it goes, I played through a TE 200W 1x15 combo for years. When it died I got an Ashdown rig and just could not get on with it (despite loving my chum's old UK built Ashdown) so switched to MB. Couldn't be happier with the sound.

Edited by TrevorR

Value for money wise, you can pick up an SWR super redhead on eBay for a very decent price at the moment, which is possibly one of the best sounding combos ever made. The down side is the weight, as they weigh about the same as a small European country, but that's the reason you can pick them up so cheap second hand!

There's also a Peavy Bam which is also an amazing sounding feature packed combo, but this weighs even more!

But again, that's why you can pick them up so cheap now, when new both these combos would have been £1500 plus!

Edited by chrisanthony1211

Thanks guys.
Does the little mark 2 do the job or are there better heads out there? Should I be looking at other brands,as markbass seems to have as many negative opinions as they do positive.
[/quote]

I've always liked the MB 102 combo... and I'd stick the same type of 210 underneath that.
Admittedly, you could be getting close to £1000 for that rig...but it should outlast you.
Seperates would probably be more expensive anyway... unless you did something like a TH500 for £400
and a 212...which would probably be the same sort of end price..??

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again guys, all advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the pix too (trevor + city mariner) always nice too peoples set-up.
I have kinda decided on a set-up i think - already picked up a markbass standard 104HR, gonna pick up a 151HR to sit underneath it, and think im gonna bite with a TTE500
Does that sound like a good set-up? anyone already use that combination?
My thoughts are to carry a LM2 or 3 with me as back-up (and probably just use that head for rehearsal with one of the cabs) the idea being i don't want to be caught short at a gig (which as happened before when my behringer was poorly haha)

When i have that lot all together, my next thought will probably be effects/pre-amps etc.
Do i need any? after spending over a grand on 2 cabs and a head i'm hoping not - but just curious as to what you guys would recommend to give a bit of individuality/experimenting room