Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM issue

Stefanogregori

If it's the same as my old ABM, you need to remove the 4 plastic buttons from the top of the case, then unscrew - the inside should slide out.
It's a very simple job to replace the valve but be aware that different valves will affect the sound. The first replacement valve I popped in really changed the nature of the drive, and not for the better!

Pre-amp valves won't always have a visible 'lit-up' heater. It would be a wise buy to have a spare, in any case, so there's no real harm in getting one, either the same, or that recommended by the makers, and swapping it over; if it doesn't cure it, at least you've a spare.
The usual warning, of course... there can be very high voltages in amps, even after switching off and unplugging from the wall, and for quite some time. Be really sure you know what you're doing with bare fingers or metal objects inside an amp. If in doubt, consult a qualified technician. Folks get badly hurt, very quickly, very easily, through neglecting these warnings. Don't be one of them.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Stefanogregori' timestamp='1444260698' post='2881763']
I have had it about 2 months, I don't know how long the guy I bought from had it for. It is in a flight case and in very good nick though so assume it has been well looked after. Any recommendations on a replacement valve?
[/quote]
Mine had a 12ax7 (ECC83) valve in it. They are widely available online, watford valves is one option, or hotrox. There's a few guys on here that dabble in them too and would be able to give some good advice. I think Mr Foxen is one of them.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1444295089' post='2881894']
Give Ashdown a shout, their customer service is amazing!
[/quote]
[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1444310646' post='2882123']

Can vouch for that - always had good, timely replies from them just by using their website 'contact us' form...
[/quote]

And another thumbs up from me, been fantastic help the few times ive needed them

[quote name='Stefanogregori' timestamp='1444669676' post='2884960']
So, new valve was waiting for me when I got home from work. Just fitted it and all good! Working like a dream! Thanks to all for your help and advice.
[/quote]

great news, glad you got it sorted,out of interest did you buy the valve through Ashdown or from somewhere else? just incase i have any future issues etc with mine?

[quote name='AlexDelores' timestamp='1444671706' post='2884985']

great news, glad you got it sorted,out of interest did you buy the valve through Ashdown or from somewhere else? just incase i have any future issues etc with mine?
[/quote]

This is the one I bought, Ashdown recommended JJ valves so I figured that was a good place to start. It was ordered on Friday and arrived today so very impressed. http://valvetubeguitaramps.com/product/jj-ecc83s-preamp-valve/?gclid=CjwKEAjwv8iwBRC35-_e8aPqwCESJAB8khP9SAXptplM6ulGAgqB3DKAJWpVKjDhuXLNfRjRYuwA2RoC_ybw_wcB

Edited by Stefanogregori