Why become a member? ×

New Band Day - Left Band Day

Low End Bee

Got in touch with a singer/gutarist/songwriter just down the road from me in Hanwell W7.
Really good songs. Lots of interesting bits in them. Has a good drummer already on board.
Played through three songs last night. He has plenty more. The songs are thoughtful and soulful. Plenty of space for dynamics and well crafted. Wants to do some interesting covers too. The guys are lovely.
I thought I would be up for the challenge. But...I was really having to rein myself in all the time. The tempo felt too slow comparted to what I'm used to and none of them started 1-2-3-4. I now know what I want and it's a really tight 60s garage mixed with punk full on rock and roll band. So I will start recruiting for that. I don't want to waste their time while I'm waiting for that to happen so I had to write the 'thanks but no thanks' email this morning. I feel like I've drowned a kitten. Everything was a good fit apart from the music.
If anyone is interested in filling the low end slot I can pass your details on. Would suit a melodic player with a bit of Motown in them I would think. A very interesting project to work on and two lovely blokes to play with.
Ah well. Onwards and punkwards.

I think you've done the right thing, Ad. Of course there is always some kind of compromise to be made otherwise you'd never play at all - in fact I was beginning to think that I was being far too picky and precious about the kind of band I'd be prepared to join - and therefore would probably never play again. :) So I lowered my sights by about a degree and struck a balance. And it feels right, generally. But if it doesn't feel right [i]enough[/i], then it's not right. Good luck with your new venture, keep us posted.

Tough one. I did stick with a band doing material outside of what I really wanted and grew to really love it (and now miss it), but yes, if your heart is set on something specific, and as your last band was so right, you've got to go for what you really want.

Good luck in the quest.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1444215502' post='2881152']
Got in touch with a singer/gutarist/songwriter just down the road from me in Hanwell W7.
Really good songs. Lots of interesting bits in them. Has a good drummer already on board.
Played through three songs last night. He has plenty more. The songs are thoughtful and soulful. Plenty of space for dynamics and well crafted. Wants to do some interesting covers too. The guys are lovely.
I thought I would be up for the challenge. But...I was really having to rein myself in all the time. The tempo felt too slow comparted to what I'm used to and none of them started 1-2-3-4. I now know what I want and it's a really tight 60s garage mixed with punk full on rock and roll band. So I will start recruiting for that. I don't want to waste their time while I'm waiting for that to happen so I had to write the 'thanks but no thanks' email this morning. I feel like I've drowned a kitten. Everything was a good fit apart from the music.
If anyone is interested in filling the low end slot I can pass your details on. Would suit a melodic player with a bit of Motown in them I would think. A very interesting project to work on and two lovely blokes to play with.
Ah well. Onwards and punkwards.
[/quote]

Good luck to you... sometimes there is no option but to put it all together yourself.

I did the same thing last year. I was looking for a hardcore metal band to do on the side or my main projects, playing the specific stuff I was into. But after alot of searching, auditions etc nothing quite felt right.... In the end I bought a guitar, wrote a set of material and held auditions to fill bass, drum and vocal duties.

I've got a great bunch of guys together now all going in the same direction with the music... hopefully gigging in a month or so.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1444222416' post='2881283']
So what`s occuring with the `sonics the Ad?
[/quote]

On sabbatical for an indefinite period until a certain member gets his mojo back. Not going to gamble on waiting in case it never comes back. It's a shame we're quite good.

It's a tricky one. I find myself in a similar situation (though I haven't left a band)... Jammed with a couple of nice guys - it's mostly layered, atmospheric post-rock stuff which I don't mind, but I feel a bit limited as a bass player.

I'm tempted, like you, to duck out, but the other half of me thinks that I could get something out of this. If they're cool and you enjoy their company, it might be worth giving it a go. If it doesn't work, cut your losses.

Edited by HMX

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444222773' post='2881287']
Good luck to you... sometimes there is no option but to put it all together yourself.

I did the same thing last year. I was looking for a hardcore metal band to do on the side or my main projects, playing the specific stuff I was into. But after alot of searching, auditions etc nothing quite felt right.... In the end I bought a guitar, wrote a set of material and held auditions to fill bass, drum and vocal duties.

I've got a great bunch of guys together now all going in the same direction with the music... hopefully gigging in a month or so.
[/quote]

That's really good to hear. Gives me hope. There's naff all money so it should be what gets your pulse racing. After not writing a song for nearly a year I have a head full of ideas know I know what I want to do. I am just about to start bashing them out. I've a dozen or so incredibly obscure covers chosen to get the project going too.

I would always say yes and see where it goes.

Several times I've joined a band which was only 50% what I liked only to have one of the guys say, "are you interested in a side project?", which has always turned out to be 1000% better.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1444307370' post='2882083']
I would always say yes and see where it goes.

Several times I've joined a band which was only 50% what I liked only to have one of the guys say, "are you interested in a side project?", which has always turned out to be 1000% better.
[/quote]

I see your point. Normally I might do. But there were only two of them and they were definitely not up for what I have in mind,
I am fairly sure I'm a one band at a time sort too. My brain can't take more.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1444291750' post='2881856']
That's really good to hear. Gives me hope. There's naff all money so it should be what gets your pulse racing. After not writing a song for nearly a year I have a head full of ideas know I know what I want to do. I am just about to start bashing them out. I've a dozen or so incredibly obscure covers chosen to get the project going too.
[/quote]

You'll be surprised how many people want to be a part of it... I stuck a couple of demo tunes up on sound cloud and put out a gumtree ad and ended up auditioning ten singers... I actually ended up going with the first drummer and bassist that I tried as they were great guys with a similar outlook. I had to pull the ad in the end as I had more people wanting to audition that I could deal with... and my demo tracks were rubbish.

It seems there are loads of people wanting to play originals but very few actually setting something up from scratch. Putting your own band together really is creating new music that was not there before... good stuff :)