Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Retro810. . . . . form an orderly queue

chris_b

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1444320139' post='2882243']
I agree that tye BF are premium cabs and justifiably command premium prices.

It's just that the 610 is a grand, so 50% more for the 810 seems a bit steep to me
[/quote]

If were me selling them I'd figure that it was essentially a vanity purchase since its ridiculously over specced for just about any foreseeable application, and slap a hefty premium on the price. As a small outfit you also have to consider economies of scale - if your not making so many of them then its going to cost more per unit irrespective of size.

Edited by bassman7755

Simon, you need to embellish on this!!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1444158561' post='2880790']

Still I think it will pale into insignificance compared to some of Alex's upcoming creations.....
[/quote]

...I'd love the 810 if it fit in the boot of my skoda!...stick with the 610 for now, which is plenty!!

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1444391496' post='2882825']
Yeah it is, you'll get approximately the same power regardless provided the load of the speaker is matched to the impedance of the output transformer secondary winding.
[/quote]

Ay yes, you're right. Checked the schematic, the ext speaker jack is switched to flip over to the 2 ohm winding.

The P bass Alex has in the pictures on the site is the bitsa build I did and sold to him. I feel right proud!

For anyone who's interested it a body I got off ebay along with the SP. Badass bridge, tuners, pups and pots from a Mike Dirnt Fender and a Mighty Mite P neck in vintage nitro.

The body is fished in white Liberon wood dye and sealed with spray can clear gloss nitro.

Kiss my face!

I have to say I love my 2x10 so far, but I'd REALLY love a retro Four10. It'd be more cab than I'd ever need. I know I could just buy another 2x10, but it'd be light enough for me to carry one handed, small enough to fit in the boot of my golf without cracking seats down (6x10 wouldn't be) and loud enough to do any gig I've EVER done... Maybe it'll happen...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1445077236' post='2888603']
I have to say I love my 2x10 so far, but I'd REALLY love a retro Four10. It'd be more cab than I'd ever need. I know I could just buy another 2x10, but it'd be light enough for me to carry one handed, small enough to fit in the boot of my golf without cracking seats down (6x10 wouldn't be) and loud enough to do any gig I've EVER done... Maybe it'll happen...
[/quote]

I'd like a Four10 too.... Hmm, do we petition Alex?

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1445077682' post='2888612']

I'd like a Four10 too.... Hmm, do we petition Alex?
[/quote]

Yeah let's do it!

First little prod sent via contact form!

Edited by Bigwan

This is interesting. When I was looking at reconing my SWR 6x10 with neos, I suggested wiring it as a 4x10 using standard drivers and a 2x10 using LF drivers to arrive at 4ohm total load.
The sound witch doctors said that I was wasting my time and I wouldn't hear the difference and that I should just wire it as standard and run at 5.6ohms. However it looks like these big BF cabs do the same but in a slightly different config?

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1445081120' post='2888654']
This is interesting. When I was looking at reconing my SWR 6x10 with neos, I suggested wiring it as a 4x10 using standard drivers and a 2x10 using LF drivers to arrive at 4ohm total load.
The sound witch doctors said that I was wasting my time and I wouldn't hear the difference and that I should just wire it as standard and run at 5.6ohms. However it looks like these big BF cabs do the same but in a slightly different config?
[/quote]

AFAIK the barefaced 10" range (excepting the 1x10 obviously) all have pairs of identical drivers with one of each pair low passed, so not quite the same config as dedicated mid and low drivers.

Edited by bassman7755