Why become a member? ×

How many bassists does it take to change a light bulb?

Owen

I could be wrong but did not several funk / disco bands in the 80's do away with the bass for keys, hence the rise of the 5 string to get us back in?

Anyway the answer is one, after they have asked about the thread spacing if it was a screw in bulb

Edited by Bobthedog

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1444075075' post='2880148']
I spent a good 10 minutes wondering why the bassist was not in shot. He is making a sublime noise with his left hand.
[/quote]

His left hand bass is great, it has a really nice feel to it. I can't help but feel that his chord voicings on the Rhodes are a little on the sparse side though, which I guess is inevitable with only one hand free.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1444234666' post='2881455']
His left hand bass is great, it has a really nice feel to it. I can't help but feel that his chord voicings on the Rhodes are a little on the sparse side though, which I guess is inevitable with only one hand free.
[/quote]
I would pay good money to be able to do that with my left hand and leave my right hand in my pocket. Doing something else on another keyboard would make my head hurt.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1444216655' post='2881164']
I just found out that The doors didn't use a bassist live either.... all left hand
Probably old news but eh

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeARuYV55eA[/media]
[/quote]

Doug Lubahn played bass on quite a lot of their recordings, I forget which but he's certainly on Strange Days.

IIRC they asked him to join, but he didn't think they were a band with a future.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1444425963' post='2883265']
Doug Lubahn played bass on quite a lot of their recordings, I forget which but he's certainly on Strange Days.

IIRC they asked him to join, but he didn't think they were a band with a future.
[/quote]

They used a few session guys for studio (including Jerry Scheff on LA Woman) but, as gapiro was pointing out, they didn't tour with a bass player, it's Manzarak on his little bass keyboard.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1444049832' post='2879764']
None, the keyboard player will do it with their left hand

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHx3DGm0cEw"]https://www.youtube....h?v=LHx3DGm0cEw[/url]

I wish I could embed.
[/quote]

He's good, when he's just playing simple backing chords on the keyboard but as soon as he starts something a bit more syncopated, he's back to playing roots. He is no replacement for a good bass player.