Why become a member? ×

Spock's Beard

KevB

Last night in Nottingham. Watching five very talented blokes all pulling in the same direction can be a joy to behold. Set list (as often with these guys) a bit perplexing at times but as they kept saying they put it together before releasing the new album and didn't know which songs would prove popular from it. Oh and Dave Meros seems to have dyed his hair a bit of an odd colour. Enjoyable evening, catch them if you can on one of the remaining [url="http://www.spocksbeard.com/concerts.html"]4 UK dates[/url].

I really should try and see them! Last album I bought was Feel Euphoria which was the first one after Morse left. Sort of coincided with me losing touch with prog a bit as well because I got fed up with Dream Theater getting too heavy for me and sh*tty bands popping up all over the place that were hard to keep track of! Transatlantic, Platypus, OSI etc etc. All terrible.

If you're going to see them on this tour I'd definitely get the latest album (Oblivion Particle) as a lot of the set is from it and also have at least a listen to the previous one. They are also covering some Neal Morse era stuff but I don't want to spoil it for anyone, those desperate to know can look it up on setlist fm.

Well there are sort of 3 phases of SB and I'll pick 2 albums from each. There's the version that was dominated by Neal Morse, of which I'd recommend [b]Kindness Of Strangers[/b] and [b]Day For Night[/b]. Then he left and the onstage leader became drummer Nick d'Virgillio and a good representation of that is [b]Feel[/b] [b]Euphoria[/b] and [b]X[/b]. Nick left and currently Ted Leonard fronts the band and they have only done 2 with him singing, [b]Brief Nocturnes & Dreamless Sleep[/b] and most recent [b]The Oblivion Particle[/b]. They are all recognisable as the same band despite the personnel changes. Very much influenced by the classic 70's prog acts but not sounding overly dated (to me).

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1443617532' post='2876265']
Very much influenced by the classic 70's prog acts but not sounding overly dated (to me).
[/quote]

I was listening to Feel Euphoria at work earlier and that sounds like a good description, Porcupine Tree is probably the closest reference point I'm familiar with.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1443652186' post='2876701']
What time roughly were they on? I'm working till 8pm tomorrow but my works pretty damn close (maybe 4 minutes walk) from the venue. Would quite fancy going.
[/quote]

In my case it was an early show because it's a University city and venues want to make money twice over in same night so shove bands on stupidly early, get em out then get a load of students in for rest of night - kerching.
Stage times at rescue rooms were roughly
band 1(sorry cant recall name) - 6:00
Synaesthesia - 6:45
Spocks Beard - 8:00-10:00

Top band! But then I would say that wouldn't I?

May they live long and prosper :)

P.S. If you like the Beard, have a listen to Karmakanic...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lhyJVEtiN4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lhyJVEtiN4[/url]

Edited by Conan

I have to say in retrospect they look more of a 'proper band' again after DV leaving, it was almost getting like the other four were his backing band. I wondered if it was the end when I saw them at High Voltage in 2011, Ted Leonard coming in at short notice and barely time to get into it, looked uneasy and it spread to the others a bit. Neal Morse coming on as a guest steadied things for that show. Then I saw them in Sheffield on the last tour and Leonard had really grown into the part and looked so much more comfortable, a much better singer than I'd credited him with before. End of the day it's modern prog influenced by classic70's prog, take it or leave it. All excellent players though.