Why become a member? ×

Anyone got a good way to mic up the audience without backline spill?

coffee_king

Hi Guys
We all use IEMs in my various bands and of course you can feel a little disjointed from the audience as you cant hear them very well.
So I was looking at sorting a channel for the audience so we can hear them better in our IEMs.

A few notes:
I want something thats quick to set up
I DONT want to set up another mic stand on stage.
I DONT want it to look too obvious that theres a mic recording the audience as I dont want them coming up and shouting down it.

I was thinking of some sort of clip on my existing mic stand that faces the audience holding a cleverly disguised mic that has some sort of half sphere cowling around the back to stop any backline spill.

Anyone done anything like this before or have a MUCH simpler way of doing this?
Thanks in advance.

It's a darned expensive way to get audience ambience into iem's, in my view. Maybe for recording stuff in the Albert Hall, but overkill for pubs and such. An ordinary 'shotgun' condenser mic, or even a humble lavalier mic would give more than adequate results, for a couple of tenners. Just sayin'...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1443546401' post='2875725']
It's a darned expensive way to get audience ambience into iem's, in my view. Maybe for recording stuff in the Albert Hall, but overkill for pubs and such. An ordinary 'shotgun' condenser mic, or even a humble lavalier mic would give more than adequate results, for a couple of tenners. Just sayin'...
[/quote]

I guess it depends on how serious you take the set up..... spend £1000 on an iem system for the band and feed the ambient mix with a £30 mic.

Edited by crez5150

Boundary Mic / PZM, as mentioned above, just hang it off one of the speaker stands, or use some gaffa tape. They don't look like microphones to most people.

Although I just can't help but think there's something fundamentally wrong with the whole set up if I'm honest. If you're only playing small gigs (no stage etc.) do you really need such an elaborate monitoring system that so effectively disconnects you from the audience?

Why not just use normal monitors (wedges or stand mounts) for vocals only, sort the backline levels out on stage and wear decent earplugs?

I use these to attach microphones for recording ambient crowd:

[url="http://www.djmmusic.com/p-3299-lp-small-claw-for-microphones.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjw1riwBRD61db6xtWTvTESJACoQ04QIKIKr7x1Znl_LpBuHVpeyxJJkcw0qG7D7IpCvT5lmxoCqdTw_wcB"]http://www.djmmusic....T5lmxoCqdTw_wcB[/url]

That way I can clamp the microphone to the PA stands, mic stands, lighting truss, etc, as appropriate.

If you look at videos from big gigs and festivals, you'll see those LP Claws in use everywhere and for everything! They're very handy!

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1443799212' post='2877845']

Although I just can't help but think there's something fundamentally wrong with the whole set up if I'm honest. If you're only playing small gigs (no stage etc.) do you really need such an elaborate monitoring system that so effectively disconnects you from the audience?

Why not just use normal monitors (wedges or stand mounts) for vocals only, sort the backline levels out on stage and wear decent earplugs?
[/quote]

Well it gets rid of monitors on the floor for a start.... that people usually tend to fall over in a pub. less to carry.... an IEM system takes a minute to set up and can be done with a single cable. Your whole set up is less prone to feedback as you have less interference into the mic/PA.