Why become a member? ×

NBD - Dingwall NG2 from Bass Direct

dmccombe7

Traded my 2off Berg AE112 cabs for a Dingwall NG2 5 string from Mark at Bass Direct.
Fair old drive today tho. Total of 600miles but well worth finally getting to see the range of basses they have in stock.
Narrowed my choice down to either the NG2 or Combustion both black and the NG2 had the edge on the tone.
Nice mid-range punch with enormous depth especially on the B string.
Also tried a Sanberg but it was no comparison to the Dingwalls. Tried a Spector too but it just didn't feel right at all.
The set up on the bass was absolutely perfect and quite a low action without any fret buzz at all.
Variety of tone via the pick-up selector is quite dramatic. Add to that active/passive switch and then BMT controls and you can dial in almost any tone you can think off.
Thought the fan-fret thing might have been weird but it just felt so normal and didn't seem to be much of an issue after all.
Its also quite a light bass compared to most i've tried and the balance of the bass was good too.

Mark and his staff (sorry didn't catch his name) were both excellent. I've bought via the phone few times now but meeting Mark was a great experience. I don't think i've ever met anyone with such a passion for bass.
I told them about the basses i was interested in and they brought them all down for me and set them up on stands. Tried them all via headphone set and then thru a Vanderkley rig set flat.
That's when it was narrowed down to the Dingwalls. Talking with Mark and explaining its for a Prog band set up he ran thru what he thought and why the NG2 might be the better option to cut thru the full band mix in a Prog band and that the Combustion would be more suited to bands that covered a variety of styles.
Found Mark to be extremely pleasant and helpful with loads of advice.
The one thing that really impressed me tho was the fact i never felt under any pressure at all.
If you get the chance to visit the shop its well worth the trip. Trust me i drove 600 miles to get a look and Whow there are some stunning basses in there.

Couldn't get the photo upload to work for some reason.

All in all a great day.

I'm a happy wee bassist once again - - - at least until GAS returns.

Dave

The fanned fret thing really wasn't an issue and i had my concerns before i tried it but honestly it was only a very slight change of focus at high end neck around 12th fret upwards. After 5-10mins with it it was sorted.

I found the NG2 had more mid punch than the Combustion. Not sure if that's down to the pick up positioning or the Darkglass pre-amp it has but it certaoinly cuts better.

The pick up selector i think will be left in the one position as the series sound is so much more full bodied than other settings.
Looking forward to rehearsals on Sat to give it a full test.

Getting used to 5 string from 4 was more an issue than the fan fret.

Dave

We still do need to see some pics :)

Anyone concerned about the fanned fret thing, really don't need to be. I have mostly over the years played Fenders, G&L's etc. and still do on a daily basis but last night I was rehearsing with the band and using my Dingwall, it was quite late in the evening when I even thought about the fact that the frets were fanned. It very quickly feels natural and intuitive.

I was experimenting with the pick up selector and tone control a fair bit last night, as our set is very wide ranging and I fancied trying to nail what I felt was the right tone for the various styles.
Have to say I was pleased with the outcome and was worth the time/effort. To my ears it nailed the Jamerson vibe when required, the bloke from Muse, Bernard Edwards on the Disco and so on.

The tone control has been upgraded to a Stellar tone unit, which gives nine (I think) very usable different settings. Really good piece of kit to add to a passive instrument and available from Bass Direct.

Keeps coming up with an error message and won't let me load pics i'm afraid.
Will try again later.
Will look into the Steller unit just in case an upgrade might be in order.

Agree 100% with your fan fret description too. It really did surprise me how quickly you adapt and adapt is a strong word to use as it simpy feels natural.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1443557390' post='2875824']
[url="http://s7.postimg.org/9tj4hu1i3/Dingwall_NG2_5.jpg"]http://s7.postimg.or...gwall_NG2_5.jpg[/url]

As suggested by Moderators till my normal upload is sorted.
Hope this works
Dave
[/quote]

That's a sexy bass!

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1443560755' post='2875859']
Are the new combustion 5s any good?i know they might not be as good as than thn ng2 but are they close?
Thanx
[/quote]
I was down to either the combustion or NG2. As far as playability and feel they are identical in every way.
The pick up positioning means the NG2 has more mid punch whereas the combustion felt more even toned and probably more suited to covering all styles if you were in a covers band. The NG2 is more targeted for cutting thru a mix was what i felt after playing both. The NG2 also has the Darkglass pre-amp which gives it more edge and bite.
With both basses on passive tho the NG2 still had more mid-range punch with the combustion more even across the tonal range possibly leaning towards a mid scoop smiley face tone.
There really wasn't a lot in it and both basses would have suited me if i'm honest. The NG2 just edged ahead for my tastes.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1443593871' post='2875940']

I was down to either the combustion or NG2. As far as playability and feel they are identical in every way.
The pick up positioning means the NG2 has more mid punch whereas the combustion felt more even toned and probably more suited to covering all styles if you were in a covers band. The NG2 is more targeted for cutting thru a mix was what i felt after playing both. The NG2 also has the Darkglass pre-amp which gives it more edge and bite.
With both basses on passive tho the NG2 still had more mid-range punch with the combustion more even across the tonal range possibly leaning towards a mid scoop smiley face tone.
There really wasn't a lot in it and both basses would have suited me if i'm honest. The NG2 just edged ahead for my tastes.

Dave
[/quote]
Thanx ,thats what i thought you were going to say,id love one but a bit out of my price range,enjoy mate

The NG-2 is a seriously nice bass.

I love mine.

I don't change the settings at all - volume full, pre-amp on, pickups series and tone controls centred. Fed through a B3K into big box of valves and its mega.

I'm currently having a '93 Warwick Streamer LX refinished, and the Darkglass Tone Capsule preamp is going in that too.

I'm in the Collective!!

[url="http://www.dingwallguitars.com/players/dingwall-collective/"]http://www.dingwallguitars.com/players/dingwall-collective/[/url]

I'll switch mid-gig between Shuker and Dingwall without a thought - it really is that little of an issue. I put an East U-Retro in my ABZ4, and it's basically completed (for me) an already superb bass. I'd have more Dingwalls if I played a 5.

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1443599418' post='2875984']
Thanx ,thats what i thought you were going to say,id love one but a bit out of my price range,enjoy mate
[/quote]

About the same price as a good Fender bass but far better quality and value for money. This was probably top of my budget for a new bass but 2nd hand could probably have got a bit cheaper. If you are thinking of changing then give it some serious thought as they are outstanding IMO.

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1443614823' post='2876217']
The NG-2 is a seriously nice bass.

I love mine.

I don't change the settings at all - volume full, pre-amp on, pickups series and tone controls centred. Fed through a B3K into big box of valves and its mega.

I'm currently having a '93 Warwick Streamer LX refinished, and the Darkglass Tone Capsule preamp is going in that too.

I'm in the Collective!!

[url="http://www.dingwallguitars.com/players/dingwall-collective/"]http://www.dingwallg...all-collective/[/url]
[/quote]

Nice write up in the collective. Impressive set of Dingwalls you have there. :D

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1443633751' post='2876489']
About the same price as a good Fender bass but far better quality and value for money. This was probably top of my budget for a new bass but 2nd hand could probably have got a bit cheaper. If you are thinking of changing then give it some serious thought as they are outstanding IMO.

Nice write up in the collective. Impressive set of Dingwalls you have there. :D
[/quote]

Ta!

I'm lucky that my SO lets me have my toys!

Those Nolly sig models look and sound great from what I've heard online. What's the verdict on the DG Tone Capsule. They look like a great idea with dual mid controls.

I've recently been playing a Dingwall and it's just one of those basses which makes you want to play more. The fan frets is a non issue and it's not noticeable when playing. I was switching between the ding and a regular fret 5 string and I didn't notice the change.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1443647407' post='2876667']
What's the verdict on the DG Tone Capsule. They look like a great idea with dual mid controls.

[/quote]

I like it. Is that verdict enough? :P
I can't be anymore technical than that I'm afraid. I love its aggressive tone and the EQ has massive amounts of adjustment - all of which I ignore and leave centred.

I'm replacing the Warwick preamp in my '93 Streamer with a Tone Capsule.

You can run the Tone Capsule at 9V or 18V if you wish - the NG-2's run 18V. I'm planning on squeezing two batteries into the tiny Streamer cavity too.

Very nice, HNBD!

Since finding out about Greenboy, and consequently Dingwall i've been keeping an eye on Bass Directs stock of them.

They have a very special looking Z3 coming in sometime soon which I'm attempting to shift all but one of my current herd and various other items to be able to afford.

Nice to know that only trying the fanned frets seems to be enough to realize there's very little difference when playing.

And their range of purple finishes i've not seen any others offer.

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1443700522' post='2876974']
I love its aggressive tone and the EQ has massive amounts of adjustment - all of which I ignore and leave centred.
[/quote]

The preamp is probably the one thing that would detract from the appeal of this bass for me - I absolutely HATE the Darkglass drive pedals (I've owned the B3K, B7K and VMT). They all have something in the upper midrange that I was unable to dial out no matter how hard I tried. I'm wondering if this has the same quality...

Off to try and find soundclips...

will no more as soon as i can get rehearsal done - ill health within the band has put on hold at moment.

With regards the Darkglass pre-amp it does have a tone diff from standard but even on passive the pick-up config had similar effect on tone. The DG gave it that bit more edge / drive.

Think it might be a personal preference tho and it just suits me.
As Amnesia mentioned earlier "I just like it" sums it up for me and the bass does make you want to play it more and more like an addiction if you like. It just has a nice feel to it.

Dave

The biggest surprise to me was just how easy this bass is to play. Not specifically the fan-fret thing but just the feel of the bass and the neck itself suits me more than any other 5 or 6 string bass i've tried.
I have tried other 5 string basses but always seemed to get lost on them with my right and left hand going out of sync and missing strings with my plucking hand.
For some odd reason i've not experienced that issue with this bass.
Probably down to fact the spacing is 18mm same as my other basses.
I have a Peavey 5er but spacing is 16.5mm and that throws me every time.

Dave