Why become a member? ×

Need help on Musicmans.

Shockwave

Hey guys.

As some of you may know, I have been slowly converting to Musicman styled basses.

I have the oppurtunity to spend about 6-700 on a new bass.

I currently have a SR5 With nordstrand pup and maple fingerboard.

What sound different is there between a SR5, SR4, Sterling and Bongo? They obviously look different, But how much different do they sound? The Bongo is a frontrunner because it is a 5 string. But only because of that. Next would be the Sterling, However i am a tall thin guy (6,3) And i am worried it would look like a toy on me. However i do have a bad back so a lightweight bass would be ideal.

I would like a rosewood board to get some variation, The Bongo and SR4 have one, But the Sterling has a maple board.

I play everything from Funk/jazz to Goth rock/death metal.

So in closing.

What different sounds would i get from all the basses? For example, Is the Sterling/bongo more brittle sounding compared to a Stingray?

Which is most versatile?

Would the Sterling look ridiculous on me?

What would be better for me if i cant get the Bongo 5, Sterling or SR4?

Cheers guys :)

Rob.

[quote name='mistahbenn' post='277871' date='Sep 5 2008, 02:40 PM']I know this is nothing to do with MM, but if you want 5 strings, more versatility than an SR5, have you checked an L2500 out? kinda like SR5's big brother. I am gasing bad for one. :)[/quote]

I have, For some reason i just dont like the look of them. They also look quite heavy. Unless i tried one in real life and really like it I probably wouldnt buy one.

Edited by Shockwave

Go for the Bongo 5, preferrably H/H or H/SC (you get the 4 band preamp with the twin pickup models).

The bongo sounds anything but brittle. Beefy, bold and (IMHO) with the best preamp this side of a custom job. Tonal variation is endless.

The sterling is the stingrays bigger brother if you like. The coil selector switch is a real plus when it comes to changing the sound. You can get two pickup models of the sterling too, if you want real versatility.

Hope this helps

Just so you know you can get 5 string sterlings (you wont get one for £600-£700 though, nor will you get a bongo for this money), you can also get a sterling with a rosewood board....

As for sound, i find the SR4, SR5 and sterling sound pretty much the same. The bongo is a completely different beast though, i didn't think it had as much growl as the others, but the preamp is stupidly powerful and there's a lot of tonal variation there, i think it's got a 4 band EQ or something?

You also need to factor in that getting your hands on a new Bongo HH 5 is like searching for rocking horse sh*te... and don't even think about having opinions on what colour you would like unless you are willing to wait 3 months

Edited by Monz

[quote name='Shockwave' post='277873' date='Sep 5 2008, 01:43 PM']For some reason i just dont like the look of them. They also look quite heavy.[/quote]

We all have our own tastes. However, having owned CLF Music Man, post-CLF Music Man and G&L basses I’ve not found there to be any radical weight differences - specific wood choices excepted. Balance, however, is another issue - but there again this is related to ergonomics and kinematics as much as specific design and aesthesia. For me there’s no competition, when it comes to Music Man and G&L 5-strings the L2500 wins, hands down. But, if you’re truly looking for a bass with a CLF heritage but a different sound, try to find yourself a G&L El Toro - the “mini-humbuckers” presentation of mid-range tonality is breath-taking.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='277954' date='Sep 5 2008, 03:57 PM']Just so you know you can get 5 string sterlings (you wont get one for £600-£700 though, nor will you get a bongo for this money), you can also get a sterling with a rosewood board....

As for sound, i find the SR4, SR5 and sterling sound pretty much the same. The bongo is a completely different beast though, i didn't think it had as much growl as the others, but the preamp is stupidly powerful and there's a lot of tonal variation there, i think it's got a 4 band EQ or something?[/quote]

[quote name='Monz' post='277975' date='Sep 5 2008, 04:10 PM']You also need to factor in that getting your hands on a new Bongo HH 5 is like searching for rocking horse sh*te... and don't even think about having opinions on what colour you would like unless you are willing to wait 3 months[/quote]

I would love a 5 string sterling! I have found a 5 string stealth bongo H-H overseas for about 600 including shipping and import tax, But hes unsure whether to truly sell.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='277861' date='Sep 5 2008, 02:31 PM']Next would be the Sterling, However i am a tall thin guy (6,3) And i am worried it would look like a toy on me. However i do have a bad back so a lightweight bass would be ideal.

I would like a rosewood board to get some variation, The Bongo and SR4 have one, But the Sterling has a maple board.[/quote]

You're welcome to come round and pose in the mirror with my Sterling if yer likes.

If it helps, I'm a short, stocky guy and my main reason for buying a Sterling was because the Stingray felt like playing a coffee table.

Dave

My advice is not to limit just to the one pickup, have a look and try, if you can, the double pickup models. HS or HH configuration.

I've got a Stingray 4 HS and it's a beast! The extra pickup, together with the 5 position pickup selector and the 3 band EQ, really opens up the tonal possibilities of these basses. Very versatile instrument, you won't be dissapointed.

:)

[quote name='Monz' post='277975' date='Sep 5 2008, 04:10 PM']You also need to factor in that getting your hands on a new Bongo HH 5 is like searching for rocking horse sh*te... and don't even think about having opinions on what colour you would like unless you are willing to wait 3 months[/quote]
I wouldn't have said they were THAT rare, like some basses, they do come about every so often, but yeah, you won't get much choice in colour. Go for that stealth bongo if you can, though you may end up paying more in customs than you might think.

Also my G&L tribute L2000 is pretty light...

[quote name='PauBass' post='278052' date='Sep 5 2008, 05:29 PM']My advice is not to limit just to the one pickup, have a look and try, if you can, the double pickup models. HS or HH configuration.

I've got a Stingray 4 HS and it's a beast! The extra pickup, together with the 5 position pickup selector and the 3 band EQ, really opens up the tonal possibilities of these basses. Very versatile instrument, you won't be dissapointed.

:)[/quote]

what an awesome looking Stingray!

Hi,

I have a Sterling single H with a maple neck and light gauge strings on it, it's lightweight and easy to play with the lowest action I have had on any bass, it has quite a bright punchy sound. On the other hand my SR5 has a rosewood neck and what I think are the original medium gauge strings, it sound deep, dark and lovely.

Not sure if that's any help any.

R.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='277954' date='Sep 5 2008, 03:57 PM']Just so you know you can get 5 string sterlings (you wont get one for £600-£700 though, nor will you get a bongo for this money), you can also get a sterling with a rosewood board....

As for sound, i find the SR4, SR5 and sterling sound pretty much the same. The bongo is a completely different beast though, i didn't think it had as much growl as the others, but the preamp is stupidly powerful and there's a lot of tonal variation there, i think it's got a 4 band EQ or something?[/quote]

I sold my Bongo 5hs for £700. so you can get them for that kinda money..

I have to say it really depends on the sound you like. For me the Stirling is terrible. ive played a fair few and I really cant get on with them, but the 'Ray fits perfect for my sytle/tone playing jazz/funk/punk I had the bongo and I hav eto say its f***ing AWESOME, althou it weighed a TON!! definatly need a good strap for it. very wide one. The tone diff you got out of it compaired to the ray was unreal, you can get anythign from a jazz bass to a ray sound to man, pretty much anything, ive never owned such a versitile bass. But the weight+looks+exta pickup I didnt want ment I sold it. But the 'ray fits what I play perfect so I dont really need anything else (got a flea bass coming friday, so we'll see then)

i dont like the sterling at all really, just sounds like something thats trying to be a stingray, and not quite getting it right. Plus i dont like thin necks or warped pickguards, so yeah no love from me sterling wise! its like the stingrays little sister :)

bongo, however, seems to be the versitile beast that everyone should go for, iv still yet to try one, but then again iv never talked to a person who has had a bongo who hasnt said how versitile that preamp is

[quote name='BassManKev' post='280148' date='Sep 9 2008, 09:08 AM']bongo, however, seems to be the versitile beast that everyone should go for, iv still yet to try one, but then again iv never talked to a person who has had a bongo who hasnt said how versitile that preamp is[/quote]
There's a reason for that :huh: I've tried one, and yes the preamp was versatile, but a little confusing to someone like me who's used to a 2 band. It would take a fair bit of time to get the tone in your head out of that bass. That said the neck is fantastically fast! Its just the right profile for me, the action was super low on the one i tried too and the paint is matt so it's nice and smooth. Damn i want one now :)

Edited by budget bassist