Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce memorabilia auction in aid of East Anglian Childrens Hospital

pete.young

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/rock_legend_s_favourite_guitar_among_charity_auction_items_1_4244424

[i]"The sale’s showpiece item, however, is a Warwick Thumb bass guitar thought to be worth at least £80,000 – and possibly even as much as £100,000.[/i]
[i]Described as Bruce’s favourite bass, it was played at the band’s induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993, on the recording of his last album, Silver Rails, on tour with Ringo Starr and his All-Starr Band, and at the Cream reunion concerts in 2005."[/i]

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1443084287' post='2871983']

[i]Described as Bruce’s favourite bass ...[/i]
[/quote]

By the auction house, I imagine. Is there any actual evidence that Jack Bruce himself said this?

The Thumb was not the bass he used with Cream (obviously). It wasn't his first-choice instrument at the Albert Hall reunion gigs. It's not the model for his signature bass from Warwick.

And Macca did NOT auction his 1963 500/1. He still has it, still gigs it.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1443129110' post='2872577']

I'm guessing McCartney's actual 'the' Hofner would fetch at least twenty times as much ... and maybe more.
[/quote]

Thinking about it it does seem a ridiculously low figure when $300m was paid for the most expensive painting.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1443127702' post='2872556']
Is it true that he had his original Hofner stolen?
[/quote]

Yup. Mind you, that was 50 years ago.

And no, it has never actually resurfaced or been sold, despite some excellent attempts at fraud.

And while we're at it, he never broke a Hofner on stage in Yugoslavia and threw it into the crowd in frustration, the broken Hofner was never rescued and restored, and if you are offered that bass do be sure to check that it comes with the accompanying Brooklyn Bridge plus complete Crown Jewels.

Beatletastic stuff attracts more than its fair share of conmen, conspiracy theorists, and delusional fantasists.

You had to be there, I suppose.

:D

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1443133106' post='2872622']
My wife has a Bay City Rollers scarf.
[/quote]I

have two Gary Glitter scarves. And a Gary Glitter album.

Well, they literally turned Fred West's house to dust to prevent souvenir collectors from collecting, so there's always a chance the market will rise.