Why become a member? ×

ProTools Subscription.

ambient

Does anyone use this ?

I'm starting my MMus next week. At the enrolment yesterday I discovered that they use ProTools, rather than Logic Pro which I've been using for the last 5 years, and used throughout my BMus.

So, I'm going to have to purchase ProTools, which is a lot more money than Logic Pro cost me. Looking on the Avid website, there seems to be a few options. One is to buy the student version, another is the subscription version that they do.

The subscription looks cool, but what happens if you stop subscribing ?

The price is in dollars, what do you pay in pounds, does it vary according to the exchange rate ?

You have to use an iLok key, my macbook only has 2 usb ports though, so will the iLok thing work in a usb hub ?

What iLok do you use ?

:)

not sure about the other questions as I bought pro tools HD but i can tell you that yes an ilok definately works in a usb hub I have one for my pro tools and another for my live waves plugins both of which go through a usb hub all the time with no problems give Avid an email if you have questions they're pretty good at getting back to me normally

Chris

I looked into the Pro Tools subscription before getting Logic. One thing that sucks is it's $25 in th US, but it's not a straight convert that to Sterling, they skin you £19.99 (rip off Britain came back to mind when I found out).
So you need to work out which is going to be the more viable... Paying £240 a year or buying it outright?

I registered for PT Express (the free version) about 3 months ago & they sent me an email last month with a link. It made me happy to have chosen Logic.

BTW, there's a bit of software you can download that will let you use the Apple AUs in PT (I didn't bother as PTE is lame).

Take a look at [url="http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/."]http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/.[/url] There are a lot of PT users disgruntled over the "subscribe or buy at an inflated price" options, but it seems that Avid *may* be listening... I'm on PT11 and certainly won't be ugrading to 12 for the foreseeable future.

Edited by ras52

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1443088290' post='2872051']
Why do you need PT? Unless your Masters is Protools specific then I reckon you're better off concentrating on the study part of the qualification, instead of having to learn a new DAW at the same time.

Just my 2p
[/quote]

It's a composition course, all the assessments are by handing in portfolios of work for the modules. They said on Tuesday that it's protools. If it's like my bmus then you have to hand in scores, a mix and the original files, I guess the files are so they can see it's an original work.

What attracted me to the subscription was the ability to pay in small amounts.

I'm maybe now veering towards the student package.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1443101491' post='2872222']
Have the college said what they will do if you are unable to hand in work due to problems with the iLok protection system? There have been at least 2 major issues with iLok in the last few years that left users without access to their software for several weeks in some cases.
[/quote]

No, I'd hope they'd understand if there was a genuine reason.

For some reason, I don't actually like Avid. I know people don't like Apple, but they're pretty good for students and education.

And Logic Pro is an absolute bargain.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1443102365' post='2872230']
No, I'd hope they'd understand if there was a genuine reason.

For some reason, I don't actually like Avid. I know people don't like Apple, but they're pretty good for students and education.

And Logic Pro is an absolute bargain.
[/quote]

I personally won't use any software that requires iLok. I don't regard it as a professional system.

Since the course is about composition rather than production I find it strange that ProTools is the required software, since despite all the refinements over the years it is still basically a recording and production tool rather than a creative composition tool.

BTW what's to stop you working in Logic and then transferring the audio and MIDI files into ProTools for assessment using something like OMF?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1443103388' post='2872239']

I personally won't use any software that requires iLok. I don't regard it as a professional system.

Since the course is about composition rather than production I find it strange that ProTools is the required software, since despite all the refinements over the years it is still basically a recording and production tool rather than a creative composition tool.

BTW what's to stop you working in Logic and then transferring the audio and MIDI files into ProTools for assessment using something like OMF?
[/quote]

To be honest, that's what I thought was odd when they said.

I haven't really looked into transferring files from one DAW to another. That'd be a lit easier, I'm really happy with logic. They have protools in the studios and workshops there that we're encouraged to use, so it'd be great if its easily doable.

I've used OMF once to transfer stuff into Logic. It's pretty good at retaining regions and edits which I'm guessing your tutors will want to see as part of the composition process, but obviously plug-ins don't really translate across - but then IMO they are mostly part of the production process and shouldn't really be needed for a composition course.

I don't see hows they expect you to do any serious MIDI composition work in ProTools. It's still by far the weakest DAW when it comes to manipulation of MIDI data.

I'd also be asking about their contingency for iLok issues right at the start of the course so that you have a definitive answer from the college rather than hoping for their goodwill should any problems occur.

It'd be cheaper to record the stuff in their studios then, as the composition stuff could be done anywhere.
Also, if the worst happens and their PT system goes belly up then you've got a better case to mitigate. Seems unusual for an HE institution not to have contingencies in place when they're entirely dependent on 3rd party software which lis known to be flaky...