Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

4 hours ago, funky8884 said:

I saw a Helix in action last weekend and the guitarist had a monitor feed from the desk to his Helix and then mixed his in ears from his Helix,

Does anyone know if you can use the Helix LT is the same way by taking a monitor send from the desk and inserting it into the effects return on the Helix LT ?

Thanks 

I think that would indeed work, although the LT does not have a FX Loop 3 and 4 like the full fat version so depends on what else you do with the loops (i.e. do you have any effects in them).

ccs-1912763-0-71363400-1491257583.jpg

6 hours ago, BigRedX said:

That looks good.

Where did you get the case from? How much higher does it make the footswitches compare with the helix not being in the case? Also how have you fixed the Helix into the case?

It's from Swan Flight cases. It's the medium pedal board one and it raises the whole unit by about 6cm. The helix is velcro'd to it but I'm going to see if I can find a slightly stronger method by using a little base plate at each corner that can screw down to the board. The added height isn't really a problem for me and it allows me to run all the cables under the board and keep everything tidy.

Although it’s on an LT, I made these to screw the unit down to my Swan pedalboard (the green bits).   They are designed to replace the rubber feet and use the same mounting screws.  The ones for the Helix Floor would need to be of a different design due to the rubber feet position but it’s possible. 

62205147-AAF4-431A-A25B-D179F4739694.jpeg

49E7455E-7183-4CA5-9986-56BE21815A59.jpeg

E624A62D-3E02-4E7B-B2A1-795DC3005710.jpeg

Edited by intime-nick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, intime-nick said:

Although it’s on an LT, I made these to screw the unit down to my Swan pedalboard (the green bits).   They are designed to replace the rubber feet and use the same mounting screws.  The ones for the Helix Floor would need to be of a different design due to the rubber feet position but it’s possible. 

62205147-AAF4-431A-A25B-D179F4739694.jpeg

49E7455E-7183-4CA5-9986-56BE21815A59.jpeg

E624A62D-3E02-4E7B-B2A1-795DC3005710.jpeg

That's really cool and very much what I had in mind. Are they plastic? Yes the floor unit has feet in slightly less accessible spots.

12 hours ago, funky8884 said:

I saw a Helix in action last weekend and the guitarist had a monitor feed from the desk to his Helix and then mixed his in ears from his Helix,

Does anyone know if you can use the Helix LT is the same way by taking a monitor send from the desk and inserting it into the effects return on the Helix LT ?

Thanks 

I see no reason why you couldn't do something similar!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrtcat said:

That's really cool and very much what I had in mind. Are they plastic? Yes the floor unit has feet in slightly less accessible spots.

My method I've used is in no way as remotely as cool as Nick's awesome 3D printing (which just has me amazed!) - I've used the 'Bicycle Chain Method' - Which should be easy to find on YouTube - but essentially, you can get the figure of 8 segments from bike chains and do the same as Nick as above. 

1 hour ago, dood said:

My method I've used is in no way as remotely as cool as Nick's awesome 3D printing (which just has me amazed!) - I've used the 'Bicycle Chain Method' - Which should be easy to find on YouTube - but essentially, you can get the figure of 8 segments from bike chains and do the same as Nick as above. 

Regular bicycle chain links? Where did you get them? Thats a really clever plan because those little links are really tough. 

9 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I think that would indeed work, although the LT does not have a FX Loop 3 and 4 like the full fat version so depends on what else you do with the loops (i.e. do you have any effects in them).

ccs-1912763-0-71363400-1491257583.jpg

I don’t own one at the moment, just had an idea ,

thanks 

1 hour ago, mrtcat said:

Regular bicycle chain links? Where did you get them? Thats a really clever plan because those little links are really tough. 

You can either just buy a normal chain off of eBay and a chain splitting tool, thus giving you loads and loads of pieces. Or you can be really lazy and buy the 8’s off of eBay for a disgusting mark up, like I did! Doh!

10 hours ago, dood said:

You can either just buy a normal chain off of eBay and a chain splitting tool, thus giving you loads and loads of pieces. Or you can be really lazy and buy the 8’s off of eBay for a disgusting mark up, like I did! Doh!

Haha awesome thanks Dood. Might just buy the splitting tool, my wife hasn't touched her bike in 9 years so doubt she'd notice. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, mrtcat said:

They are 3D printed ABS with a 100% fill and are very strong.  Happy to have a look at making some for the Helix Floor model if you like.  Will need some rough dimensions of where the rubber feet are so i can design them for the board fixing screw access.   You may find it a bit tricky using bike chain side-plates on the Floor due to the feet being inset under that model - I know Dood has an LT which makes it easier using that method as the feet are close to the outer profile.

56 minutes ago, intime-nick said:

They are 3D printed ABS with a 100% fill and are very strong.  Happy to have a look at making some for the Helix Floor model if you like.  Will need some rough dimensions of where the rubber feet are so i can design them for the board fixing screw access.   You may find it a bit tricky using bike chain side-plates on the Floor due to the feet being inset under that model - I know Dood has an LT which makes it easier using that method as the feet are close to the outer profile.

Wow, that's cool thank you. I'll take some measurements and pics this evening. Obviously I'll happily cover all costs and time etc.

23 hours ago, mrtcat said:

It's from Swan Flight cases. It's the medium pedal board one and it raises the whole unit by about 6cm. The helix is velcro'd to it but I'm going to see if I can find a slightly stronger method by using a little base plate at each corner that can screw down to the board. The added height isn't really a problem for me and it allows me to run all the cables under the board and keep everything tidy.

6cm sounds like rather a lot to me. Does anyone do a similar sized case where the effects can be mounted onto a board that is lifted out of the case when in use?

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

6cm sounds like rather a lot to me. Does anyone do a similar sized case where the effects can be mounted onto a board that is lifted out of the case when in use?

i have a swan flightcase - i removed the support from underneath the main board which dropped it about 35-40mm.  the front top edge of the helix now sits level with the extrusion around the case.  You can just about make out how far it now sits in the lower half of the case on this pic :-

2018-03-27 09.30.00.jpg

@intime-nick Here's a photo of the underside of my Helix:

Helix.jpg

The two feet at the front of the unit (bottom of the photo) centres are both 20mm from their respective sides and 12mm from the front. I know it doesn't look like that but it's a combination the way the sides curve and lens distortion of my camera.

The two feet at the back of the unit (top of the photo) centres are both 65mm from their respective sides and 38mm from the back. However the various sockets protrude 8mm from the back panel which may affect the positioning of any screw holes for accessibility.

If you need any further measurement, just let me know.

Edited by BigRedX

29 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

@intime-nick Here's a photo of the underside of my Helix:

Helix.jpg

The two feet at the front of the unit (bottom of the photo) centres are both 20mm from their respective sides and 12mm from the front. I know it doesn't look like that but it's a combination the way the sides curve and lens distortion of my camera.

The two feet at the back of the unit (top of the photo) centres are both 65mm from their respective sides and 38mm from the back. However the various sockets protrude 8mm from the back panel which may affect the positioning of any screw holes for accessibility.

If you need any further measurement, just let me know.

Beat me to it but absolutely spot on with the measurements,  I wrote down the exact same. 

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I used the FlightCase Warehouse XL sized case. It fitted in the case perfectly and the board lifted out. The XL was large enough to mount a couple of pedals and a power strip on too:

https://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/industry/product.asp?item=spider-guitar-effects-pedal-board-flight-case-extra-large-7628-4748

There's an XXL and a Medium size board should yo need larger or smaller. Great prices and built like a tank.

However, my LT is still mounted to a board but I had RoqSolid make me a super tough padded carry bag instead due to the amount of venues I have to climb stairs lol..

29 minutes ago, dood said:

I used the FlightCase Warehouse XL sized case. It fitted in the case perfectly and the board lifted out. The XL was large enough to mount a couple of pedals and a power strip on too:

https://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/industry/product.asp?item=spider-guitar-effects-pedal-board-flight-case-extra-large-7628-4748

There's an XXL and a Medium size board should yo need larger or smaller. Great prices and built like a tank.

However, my LT is still mounted to a board but I had RoqSolid make me a super tough padded carry bag instead due to the amount of venues I have to climb stairs lol..

The cases look great but the sizes seem to be all wrong for what I need. Ideally I need something slightly wider and less deep than the XL version.

44cm is far more depth than I need for just the Helix, but I don't think enough extra to allow me to fit other stuff behind it with all the plugs and cabling. And 74cm isn't quite wide enough to fit the Adrenalinn next to the Helix unless I turn it sideways which I don't think my OCD will allow!

How much do I need to leave around the edges in order to be able to lift the pedal board out of the case easily?