Why become a member? ×

Upgrade from Vintage V4?

paddy109

Over the past few months I have been making transition from double bass and I have enjoyed this so much my DB hasn't even been out its gig bag!

I bought the vintage p bass in sunburst after reading good reviews as an entry level bass. I am now considering an upgrade with a budget of £500

Is this worth doing with this budget and if 'yes' could you guys recommend the path to follow? I would like another p bass and I like the look of my vintage. My knowledge of bass guitars is pretty limited but I have found preferring flatwounds to roundwound. I am happy to buy 2nd hand as this will extend my choice within my budget.

A used Japanese Fender Precision is in your budget. Necks are a dream on the MIJ/CIJ basses. That said, I really rate the 2012 onwards Mexican Fenders. New they`re just a bit more than £500, used you can get them £300 - £400ish.

From there, well there are so many aftermarket pickups that can be put in them as an upgrade - not that the stock pickups aren`t any good mind, they are. My fave is the Custom Shop 62 which comes in the US Standards. This is what I`ve done with my Mex Precision, which is a my backup bass, but in reality it`s plenty good enough to be a main bass. And I did use it as my main bass for a while, until I got a good deal on a 2015 US Standard.

[quote name='paddy109' timestamp='1441959694' post='2863207']
I would like another p bass and I like the look of my vintage. My knowledge of bass guitars is pretty limited...
[/quote]

Having been in your situation recently (insofar as I was new to bass and looking for my first 'good' quality instrument) I would really recommend going and trying as many basses as you can before you lay down cash. If you can manage it just go to as many music stores as you can find in your area and play anything and everything you can find in your price range.

I feel that this really helped me to get a solid feel for which basses and styles I like and which just don't do it for me. To my surprise at the start, I found I like Jazz basses a lot more than Precisions despite being heavily drawn to the latter based on visuals alone.

When it actually comes to purchasing one however, I would look toward the second hand market unless you are in a real rush as the prices are so much better.

Finally, where about are you based? Perhaps you could ask around to see if you could try some other folks basses out if you want to get a feel for a few options? You're certainly more than welcome to try any of mine if you want to pop around for a cup of tea when in the area.

All the best

James

Edited by Naetharu