Why become a member? ×

Great Producers

steve-soar

Rick Hall - Fame Studios

Steve Cropper - Stax Records

Cosimo Matassa - J&M Recording Studios.

Cosimo kick started Rock and Roll. “Virtually every R&B record made in New Orleans between the late ’40s and the early ’70s was engineered by Cosimo Matassa, and recorded in one of his four studios,” More than 250 nationally charting singles and 21 gold records were recorded at the studio, most of them distinguished by what came to be known as the Cosimo sound: strong drums, heavy bass, light piano, heavy guitar and light horns. It is sometimes also called simply the New Orleans sound.

I'm sure everyone has heard Steely Dan, and most of their albums were produced by Gary Katz. Plus a host of other artists.  A monster producer.

There's also the Scottish band Love n Money album ' Strange Kind Of Love ' that Katz produced .  Also , Dan's  Donald Fagen was uncredited for some work with them

One track from Strange Kind Of Love. The production on this is sublime, as is the rest of the album

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I'm sure everyone has heard Steely Dan, and most of their albums were produced by Gary Katz. Plus a host of other artists.  A monster producer/engineer.

There's also the Scottish band Love n Money album ' Strange Kind Of Love ' that Katz produced / engineered .  Also , Dan's  Donald Fagen was uncredited for some work with them

One track from Strange Kind Of Love. The production on this is sublime, as is the rest of the album

I loved the Strange Kind of Love album when it came out - the title track was great (challenging!) to play along to. Always sounded like a Stingray to my ears…

I once worked with a sax player who had done a number of sessions for Gary Katz in the 90s. Demanding, but ended up with stellar performances. It sounded tough, to say the least!

Apropos of nowt, I own a t-shirt with Becker, Fagen & Katz on it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I bought Strange Kind Of Love on CD when it came out and still have it.  It's hard to believe there's not a bum track on the whole CD.  Not for me anyways

Agree, it was a record that I really got into at the time (haven’t heard it in years, mind). For reasons best known to myself, I always associate it with The Christians first album and Song, by It’s Immaterial.