Why become a member? ×

Looking to downsize from Ampeg rig but not sure what to buy

sPiKi

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='sPiKi' timestamp='1440843875' post='2854254']
Thanks everyone for the replies... so much to think about.

I usually alternate between a US standard jazz and MD Roadworn P. Set up is pretty straightforward with a VT bass pedal (always on), Boss chorus (couple of songs) & tuner.
I usually have my EQ set pretty much flat, tweaking the low end and mids depending on the room.

Regarding the Ampeg sound, I've been fortunate to have had Ampeg for nearly all of my 20 years of playing, first with an SVT 200T and 810, then a 410 HLF and then the current rig. I know it's widely regarded as 'the' bass sound for rock, but sometimes I find its just a bit too muddy and the lows boomy. When it sings though I really like that tight low end and almost clang or snap of the high end...is this making sense? Any thought on a more powerful Ampeg amp with this cab?

Would the PF800 be a good match and give me what I;m looking for? Are the TC and GK systems better suited to slap/funk etc (which I do very little of in our set).

I have a budget of around £1200 for head and 2 cabs.

Thanks again everyone.
[/quote]

I replaced my svp pro + QSC power amp with a TC RH450. IMO the RH does a very good approximation of the SVP with the tubetone control acting much the same as the drive control on the SVP, just much smaller lighter and more flexible with the bonus of a really nice multi-band compressor (which would lend itself nicely to the occasional slap foray) and tuner built in. You can also look at other class D heads with well a regarded drive sound e.g. GK, GB* streamliner, TH, Orange TB etc or even cleaner amps like markbass, puma, and GB* shuttle with a sans amp pedal or darkglass in front.

Speakerwise you can probably significantly downsize from the 4x10, theres a plethora of lighweight alternatives out there including all the usual suspects such as barefaced, TKS, bergantino, epifani etc - you cant really go wrong with any of these and can probably get away with a 2x12/2x10 or even a 1x12 depending on specific amp and speaker capability.

* - GB are of course only available used.

Edited by bassman7755

Thanks for all the replies...last couple of days I've been looking at the Orange OB1. Like the sound of that big clean sound with the option of blending a bit of grit if need be. With the price of Orange gear, it will have to be amp first and then cabs.

See below - I went from a V4BH and Classic SVT 4x10 cab to Orange and Barefaced and haven't looked back. :D

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/258348-new-barefaced-retro-two10/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

Edited by Jazzneck

I don't think there is a micro head on the market that will give you the real warm tone of a V4BH. Maybe the Aguilar TH500 is heading that way but it's still a long way short of an all-tube head. Another possibility is the SVT7 Pro - but nothing I've heard gets you that sound of a nice tube power stage.

I have a Demeter and a TH500 and the Demeter outclasses the TH by some degree...but you might still prefer the tone
of the TH500.
I drove a Demeter pretty hard and it broke up to quite an alarming degree.
That is 800w rated.

A few more gigs and I'll sort it and the power stage is far better, IMO, than the normal class D's...
I am normally not very impressed with Class D...I wonder if the Demeter will pursuade me..??

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='sPiKi' timestamp='1441060090' post='2855828']
If only there was a bit more headroom with it, that's part of what I'm looking for.
[/quote]

Don't forget that the speaker efficiency will have a big impact on the effective headroom, also running an amp at its minimum impedance will generally get you a few DB extra headroom i.e. having a 4ohm load for most amps.

I have 3 micro amps in the 500w range and they all have stacks of headroom when running a "friendly" speaker load.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1441352563' post='2858110']
Good point, get a cab with sensitivity of say 103 or 104 and it makes a fair difference. The 610 HLF is 98.
[/quote]

I wouldn't pay ANY attention to dB sensitivity figures, they're a complete joke! I was looking at the specs for the EA Wizzy 10 and they claim 102dB sensitivity, which is about 6dB higher than it could realistically be. That's equivalent to claiming 1000W power handling when it's truthfully 250W.

Unless something very special has been done, sensitivity in bass cabs is directly linked to physical size. Sealed cabs will be lower sensitivity than ported/transmission line/etc cabs of equal size. Even if you've done a bunch of clever stuff you're not going to gain more than a couple of dB sensitivity over run of the mill cabs of the same size.

The BIG difference comes from increased volume displacement (ie low frequency power handling) and to a lesser degree from reduced power compression (from increased thermal power handling). Volume displacement is how much air a speaker can move. For example, double the distance in and out that a 10" can move and it can do the work of two normal 10"s.

Always pay attention to your specs though Alex - and the fact that your cabs are very loud in comparison to the same amp settings when connected to other similar cabs seems to bear that out. I can`t imagine not using Barefaced cabs now, even if there were other cabs of the same weight/power.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1441364035' post='2858258']
Always pay attention to your specs though Alex - and the fact that your cabs are very loud in comparison to the same amp settings when connected to other similar cabs seems to bear that out. I can`t imagine not using Barefaced cabs now, even if there were other cabs of the same weight/power.
[/quote]

Depends what you are driving them with tho.... if a cab requires a LOT of watts in... or a match up with a very powerful amp, how can this point to efficiency..?
If a cab takes a lot of bass, and/or needs a lot of bass, that is going to drain the amp.
And if that amp is Class D to boot...??

Minefields to navigated all over...IMO. This is why I prefer conventional cabs, myself....but then there are good and bad of them. as well.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1441372626' post='2858397']Depends what you are driving them with tho.... if a cab requires a LOT of watts in... or a match up with a very powerful amp, how can this point to efficiency..?

If a cab takes a lot of bass, and/or needs a lot of bass, that is going to drain the amp.
[/quote]

Power handling and efficiency are two separate things. You can have high power handling AND high efficiency from a good design. And if you have two cabs with the same efficiency, the one with higher power handling will exhibit less thermal power compression and thus have higher efficiency when you're playing loud.

Cabs don't 'drain' amps - a cab which can handle a lot of bass will be easier on an amp because it will exhibit less magnetic power compression, so produce more output with less power.

Yeah, looking at getting the OB1. That video from Andertons sounds good through headphones; be interested to test it in a band situation. Just pricing around now for best delivery to NI - some UK retailers charge international delivery rates!

So, I ordered the OB1500 this morning, with free delivery from Gear4music. Good returns policy too in case I don't like it. Won't get to try it out until Thursday but will report back once II have. Can't wait.

Edited by sPiKi

So, I received my OB1 500 today and have just returned from a quick workout with our guitarist and drummer.

What a disappointment! Hated the tone. Mids way too prominent and to my ears, just all 'honk' which I couldn't eliminate. In spite of the marketing of an active EQ, we found the range from the clean section of the amp to be pretty limited. I played through with my P and J basses, with no effects at all.

It does the distorted thing great when the gain is cranked but I could never see me using that in our set. Enjoyed a quick run through Ace of Spades for old time's sake :)

The unit itself feels very sturdy and weighty and it isn't going to budge from your cab; thought the knobs though were a bit cheap feeling.

For comparison, we alternated heads to contrast with the V4 and I must say, in my opnion, that has a much more rounded, fuller tone which is not harsh unlike this one. I still have the problem of not enough power with my V4, so considering possibly PF800 + cabs, TH500 or wait for reviews on the Mesa Subway. Any thoughts or advice would be really welcome.

Edited by sPiKi