Why become a member? ×

Chris Squires telecaster bass?

beerdragon

Well the guy says so, so it must be true.
whats a live auction anyway?.

[url="http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/92-Yes-Chris-squires-1970-Fender-Telecaster-Bass_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1019Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a3Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem140257632400QQitemZ140257632400"]http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/92-Yes-Ch...emZ140257632400[/url]

Edited by beerdragon

Chris Squire is the only original member? Loose talk for a band that hasn't played live together in four years and even so, wasn't Jon Anderson still fronting them then? That said, the last Yes incarnation featured a line up that you can date back nearly forty years.

Personally, I've never seen him with anything other than a Rickenbacker.
P

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='276130' date='Sep 3 2008, 11:24 AM']The bass has changed a bit since the included photo of him playing it !!!

I can't imagine Mr Squire is short of a bob or two so can only think he flogged it because he thought it was crap! It's always a prudent thought when browsing ex-name basses![/quote]

Ah but he didn't sell it, it was stolen from him and he wants it back. He talks about it on the commentary he did for the re-release of his solo album Fish Out of Water. The RickResource forum have been discussing the apparent re-emergence of the bass.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='276235' date='Sep 3 2008, 01:37 PM']Chris Squire is the only original member? Loose talk for a band that hasn't played live together in four years and even so, wasn't Jon Anderson still fronting them then? That said, the last Yes incarnation featured a line up that you can date back nearly forty years.

Personally, I've never seen him with anything other than a Rickenbacker.
P[/quote]

"Original" is probably a bad choice of words, he's the only member who's been in all the incarnations over the years. Yes are still active and were even due to tour this year for their 40th anniversary but had to cancel when Jon Anderson fell ill. Almost the classic lineup but with (IIRC) Adam Wakeman on keys instead of Rick.

Chris also records with and often plays live with a Lakland JB, a P, an 8-string Ranney and a short scale Electra plus a few others including a couple of Mike Tobias basses, a 5-er and an extended scale 4. I know what you mean about seeing him with Rick's mostly but he's used various basses on recordings pretty much since day 1. He just sounds like him no matter what he plays.

Steve.

Edited by stevebasshead

The Fame Bureau has a [url="http://www.famebureau.com/"]website[/url]: I took a look at the terms and conditions. Note that they have separate Buyers and Sellers Premiums (commissions). Say the "hammer price" is £10,000: they take 15% (£1,500) off what they return to the seller (who gets £8,500). Then they ask the Buyer for 15% (£1,500), so they make 30% (£3,000) on the deal. They want 5% more for eBay bids.

Crafty... but then the eBay auction says (in small print): "The Buyer's premium is a service fee normally charged in live auctions. Winning buyers must pay an additional amount to the seller based on their bids." Does that mean that seller wants to claw back the Seller's Commissionn from the Buyer too? :)

They have a whole [url="http://www.liveauctions.ebay.com/catalogs/26082"]catalog[/url] of stuff for sale. The eBay auction gives another address: 11 Chance Street London E2 7JB. When I looked them up, it appears this is the Idea Generation Gallery, the location for the Hendrix guitar auction that's been in the news today - more [url="http://www.safeconcerts.com/newsitem.asp?nurn=1759"]here[/url]. There will be a live auction at that address tomorrow (Thursday) 5PM.

Edited by bnt

[quote]Ah but he didn't sell it, it was stolen from him and he wants it back. He talks about it on the commentary he did for the re-release of his solo album Fish Out of Water. The RickResource forum have been discussing the apparent re-emergence of the bass.[/quote]

Interesting, got a link?

[quote name='Waldo' post='276461' date='Sep 3 2008, 06:48 PM']Interesting, got a link?[/quote]

Yup, [url="http://www.rickresource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=383809"]here[/url] and [url="http://www.rickresource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=383839"]here[/url] and [url="http://www.rickresource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383810"]here[/url]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='276671' date='Sep 4 2008, 07:34 AM']He is on BBC breakfast with it.[/quote]
Ha ha beat me, I saw that too. Some dude played a ropey Star Spangled Banner on it - right handed! I think they said it has been sat in Noel Redding's nephews garage for years. They're expecting to get around £1,100,000 for it.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='276693' date='Sep 4 2008, 08:30 AM']Ha ha beat me, I saw that too. Some dude played a ropey Star Spangled Banner on it - right handed! I think they said it has been sat in Noel Redding's nephews garage for years. They're expecting to get around £1,100,000 for it.[/quote]

Damn breakfast TV giving me GAS.

I like the fact it has been his garage for years I have a picture in my head of it nesseld between some rusty paint cans and a door off of a 1983 Ford Transit covered in cobwebs.

Whilst flicking through The Fame Buereau's T&C I noted that as a seller unless you indicate in writing that you don't want it, you have to pay an insurance premium that amount being £1.50 per £100. The best bit is that it then isn't covered for accidental damage or breakage :huh:

If you sell something through them don't withdraw it, that's a 20% fee of their lower estimate and you're paying £3 a day storage :)

Pay promptly (48hrs) otherwise that is 2% above the bank base rate that you will be clattered for!

Oh and for heaven's sake down use a bank transfer to pay... that's another 1% commission.

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='276372' date='Sep 3 2008, 04:33 PM']Ah but he didn't sell it, it was stolen from him and he wants it back. He talks about it on the commentary he did for the re-release of his solo album Fish Out of Water. The RickResource forum have been discussing the apparent re-emergence of the bass.

"Original" is probably a bad choice of words, he's the only member who's been in all the incarnations over the years. Yes are still active and were even due to tour this year for their 40th anniversary but had to cancel when Jon Anderson fell ill. Almost the classic lineup but with (IIRC) Adam Wakeman on keys instead of Rick.

Chris also records with and often plays live with a Lakland JB, a P, an 8-string Ranney and a short scale Electra plus a few others including a couple of Mike Tobias basses, a 5-er and an extended scale 4. I know what you mean about seeing him with Rick's mostly but he's used various basses on recordings pretty much since day 1. He just sounds like him no matter what he plays.

Steve.[/quote]

The Electra MPC bass guitar is a long scale instrument...! Sorry! He also still uses the famous green `Mouradian CS-74' and has also been seen with a metallic blue `Reality' bass, from the same company, `M Guitars' from Cambridge, Mass.

Cheers!

Nick