Why become a member? ×

JM Speakers - new cab design from Holland

deksawyer

The 5kHz crossover to the tweeter is a bad idea. Twelve inch drivers start beaming around 1.6kHz, so the highest you want to cross over is 2kHz. At the othe end of the spectrum, 50kHz response is useless. Not only can you not hear above 18khz or so, there's nothing to be gained from an electric bass cab that goes above 8kHz except hiss. The vertical alignment of the woofers is the right way to do it, but otherwise I don't see anything to recommend these.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1440086596' post='2848197']
At the othe end of the spectrum, 50kHz response is useless. Not only can you not hear above 18khz or so, there's nothing to be gained from an electric bass cab that goes above 8kHz except hiss.
[/quote]

Yes, I've wondered about that with regard to the signal most magnetic pickups produce. I was reading Erno Zwaan's book (the Q-tuners guy), and it would appear that most high impedance pickups start to roll off above their resonant peak, which is much lower than 18KHz. So presumably anything going on up there is likely to be either distortion artifacts or noise. Do we really want to hear that?

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1440105974' post='2848426']
Yes, I've wondered about that with regard to the signal most magnetic pickups produce. I was reading Erno Zwaan's book (the Q-tuners guy), and it would appear that most high impedance pickups start to roll off above their resonant peak, which is much lower than 18KHz. So presumably anything going on up there is likely to be either distortion artifacts or noise. Do we really want to hear that?
[/quote]On a passive bass the traditional Volume and Tone controls limit the higher frequencies quite a lot and although I am willing to be corrected, there is little or no output at 18KHz. Even an active bass that uses volume or blend before the preamp will kill the real highs. The only reason to go to 50KHz is to listen to interference from TV remotes or unshielded CD players.I have to agree with Bill that there is little musical sound either above 8-10KHz, or on a Kanye West song, except hiss and interference.

The coils in your pickups act as inductors and this limits the high frequencies. For any inductor the resistance of the coil effectively rises with increasing frequency, the more coils in your PUP the greater the inductance and the lower the cut off point comes in. This is why the heavily overwound PUPs sound 'dark' However our hearing is very sensitive in the kHz range and you will hear a difference between a cab with the tweeter on and off even at 5kHz unless you have rolled off the treble elsewhere.

Remember though that we are talking about bass cabs, there are all sorts of technically 'incorrect'/non flat designs that work well precisely because of their frequency irregularities. Bass amps rarely have flat responses, try playing an iPod through your bass amp if you don't believe me :) , and I've just fitted a J-Retro pre amp to my bass which sounds lovely precisely because it isn't flat either.

Having said that anything over 8-10k is pretty pointless, I suspect this is a cab you would choose because of it's looks.

Edited by Phil Starr