Why become a member? ×

Anyone fancy a weird fake Warwick Corvette 5 NT?

goonieman

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Bass-complete-with-Warwick-rock-bass-case-extras-ideal-learner-guitar/262001036265?_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29974%26meid%3Dabef5f354be0441f88d57d51a9438bb6%26pid%3D100276%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D231626322716

knock yourself out.

This is so badly done I feel just sick looking at it....

But yet he is [i]actually[/i] sneakily implying it could be a Warwick, whilst drawing unnecessary attention to the make of the gig bag in the title. I hate people like that, some poor [gullible] sod will bid on this thinking he is grabbing a bargain Warwick off someone who 'doesn't know' what he has.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1439621500' post='2844387']
I can`t really see anything wrong with the Ad. If anyone reads the description and thinks they are getting a Warwick, then they can only blame themselves.He even says he has no idea of the make of the bass.
[/quote]

No, there is nothing 'wrong' with the Ad. But, why name the gig bag make in the title? Why not comment, specifically, that this is a copy of a Warwick and not a real one? Where did he get this bass from?

Yes, you would be pretty daft to buy this thinking it was the real deal, but people will make this mistake, particularly in the dying minutes of the auction. He is being devious.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1439622173' post='2844390']
No, there is nothing 'wrong' with the Ad. But, why name the gig bag make in the title? Why not comment, specifically, that this is a copy of a Warwick and not a real one? Where did he get this bass from?

Yes, you would be pretty daft to buy this thinking it was the real deal, but people will make this mistake, particularly in the dying minutes of the auction. He is being devious.
[/quote]

Indeed, it's dubious and questionable resale ethics... at best.

If you look closely, its very shoddily put together.

I remember being a teenager and I was very naive... i'd be tempted by such a thing. Very sad.

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1439664610' post='2844851']
Indeed, it's dubious and questionable resale ethics... at best.

If you look closely, its very shoddily put together.

I remember being a teenager and I was very naive... i'd be tempted by such a thing. Very sad.
[/quote]

What's wrong with it? Looking closely, I see that the veneer on the top is chipped, not quite finished well around the edges. The pickup routing looks slightly generous. I can't see anything else obviously wrong. The bridge and other hardware appear straight. The neck through body looks OK from the distance of the photos. Apart from the top veneer, which isn't a deal breaker for a cheap bass IMHO, what else is shoddy?

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1439664885' post='2844855']
What's wrong with it? Looking closely, I see that the veneer on the top is chipped, not quite finished well around the edges. The pickup routing looks slightly generous. I can't see anything else obviously wrong. The bridge and other hardware appear straight. The neck through body looks OK from the distance of the photos. Apart from the top veneer, which isn't a deal breaker for a cheap bass IMHO, what else is shoddy?
[/quote]

The standouts for me are:

The top wood is awfully done
The body wings are bizarre and unequal in size
The bridge is off centre
The pickups are not in line
The pickups are also not parallel...unintentionally
The bass shape is a clone of a Corvette $$ and, being familiar with the model, it is very difficult to look at as there is so much wrong with the shape.
The control cavity is a very odd design
The neck carve looks uneven, particularly behind the nut
The tuners are out of line

Every time I look at it I see something else. Shoddy is a very good word to describe it. Personally, I would rather a cheap P bass copy than a poorly done NT.

Looking at this Ali Express page, it appears that the 'W' has been added at the factory. This is slightly different from the eBay bass, but there is enough family resemblance that I expect they were made in the same factory:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Free-shipping-Top-quality-2014-new-Warwick-LTD-Corvette-5-strings-bass-Dark-brown-electric-bass/1541477289.html

Given that it appears to have been intended to be a copy/forgery, then more of your criticisms hit home. If it were just a similar bass that someone 'W'ed, then I don't think it would be so objectionable if the shape etc. was a bit different from the original.

Exactly - on previous 2 post above...

only to add, that being familiar with warwick products and paraphernalia, that is not (in my experience) a Warwick 'Rockbag'.

The whole lot is a sad indictment really, especially given the seller seems to have potentially given up on playing bass now... I dread to think that if he/she was given a playable entry- level bass - like a well setup classic vibe - that they would still be learning and thriving playing bass.... :(

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1439676984' post='2844984']
Exactly - on previous 2 post above...

only to add, that being familiar with warwick products and paraphernalia, that is not (in my experience) a Warwick 'Rockbag'.

[/quote]

That's what they called the Crosswalker or something like that. I had two of them in the past and the rucksack detaches. Assuming of course that it's a real one :blink:

I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt and think he's put Warwick as the brand as the bass doesn't have an obvious brand name and it does ask you for a brand name when posting the ad. The bag is Warwick so I think that's why he's done it.

He does clearly state in the ad that he doesn't know the brand name of the bass so I don't see how he's trying to con anyone. If anyone does buy it thinking it's a Warwick then it will be because they haven't bothered to read the description

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1439725133' post='2845215']
If you look in the "Item specifics" section, you'll see that the brand is given as "Warwick". Reported as a counterfeit.
[/quote]

Good shout, I managed to miss that.

Reported as well. Devious bar steward.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1439773472' post='2845678']
I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt and think he's put Warwick as the brand as the bass doesn't have an obvious brand name and it does ask you for a brand name when posting the ad. The bag is Warwick so I think that's why he's done it.
[/quote]

You do have the option of not putting anything in there. I do agree he's specifically stated that he doesn't know the brand in the wording, but there's something of the subliminal about where it is.

[url="http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Factory-war-Rick-5-strings-bass-guitar-Hott-selling-bass-with-9V-active-pickups/32398566143.html"]http://www.aliexpres...2398566143.html[/url]

Have a look at this one.They get away with calling it a war-Rick.Blatant.

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1439803461' post='2845805']
[url="http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Factory-war-Rick-5-strings-bass-guitar-Hott-selling-bass-with-9V-active-pickups/32398566143.html"]http://www.aliexpres...2398566143.html[/url]

[/quote]Just accessed the link from Italy - guerra-Rick - doesn't quite translate does it.

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1439803461' post='2845805']

[/quote]
Jeez, what a dreadful thing :blink: The headstock looks like a kitchen utensil (much the same as a real Warwick, really) and the control knobs appear to have been fired at it from a blunderbuss.