Why become a member? ×

Identifying scales - how good's your theory

Nicko

Inspired by the 50 Basslines everyone should know I immediately thought "Teenage Kicks". The thread wants Song, Bass player and Scale. I don't want to play it, but everyone should know it.

So I got thinking about the scale.. This is way beyond me, given how simple the song is.

So the verse is C#, C and A#
The chorus is G, G# and A.

More properly I guess the verse is C#, B#. A#. And before you pedants start, yes there is such a note as B#. This bit could be C# major (Tonic, maj7th, maj 6th) but to me it resolves to the A# so its A# minor, (min3, 2, 1 progression)
I think its obvious that the chorus has to be a modulation, because the chorus resolves to A. My musical theory isn't great but I can't think of any scale with two consecutive half tome steps. Which I guess means G# is a passing chromatic. Does that mean the C# is also a passing note.

Put me out of my misery.

Are you talking about 'The Undertones' version?
Just had a quick listen (and that was too long :D ) on Da Tube.
Sounds like it's in D major to me.

D... /...C# / B minor../.. C# / etc
(Bar Before the chorus an A major instead of the C#).

Chorus.
G G# A (all major).
So all in all - Key of D Major.
In the link bit, it sounds like a Dsus before the C#.

Of course, If you are talking about another tune - Ignore my ramblings.

Oh yeh? Now identify these ...

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/snake-579682_640_zpscnkkryru.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/snake-579682_640_zpscnkkryru.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/scales-36417_640_zpswapjvzpy.png.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/scales-36417_640_zpswapjvzpy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1439473397' post='2843155']
Are you talking about 'The Undertones' version?
Just had a quick listen (and that was too long :D ) on Da Tube.
Sounds like it's in D major to me.

D... /...C# / B minor../.. C# / etc
(Bar Before the chorus an A major instead of the C#).

Chorus.
G G# A (all major).
So all in all - Key of D Major.
In the link bit, it sounds like a Dsus before the C#.

Of course, If you are talking about another tune - Ignore my ramblings.
[/quote]

Thats how I heard it too, pretty much straight D major key wise although the passing C# in the verse is a slight harmonic anomaly since to be strictly in key it should be diminished.

Edited by bassman7755

Just for reference: the general rule is that, in simple harmony, every scale should have an A B C D E F and a G. The OP's description of a sequence of notes as C#, C and A# is not 'wrong' but it is clumsy. It is better to think of the sequence as Db, C and Bb. Same notes but easier to read on a written score (less accidentals etc) and less confusing. The theory doesn't work with the G, G# and A because that is not a diatonic sequence but a riff the climbs in semitones (i.e. the parent 'scale' is changing with each chord)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1439478810' post='2843237']
Just for reference: the general rule is that, in simple harmony, every scale should have an A B C D E F and a G. The OP's description of a sequence of notes as C#, C and A# is not 'wrong' but it is clumsy. It is better to think of the sequence as Db, C and Bb. Same notes but easier to read on a written score (less accidentals etc) and less confusing. The theory doesn't work with the G, G# and A because that is not a diatonic sequence but a riff the climbs in semitones (i.e. the parent 'scale' is changing with each chord)
[/quote]

eh? duh :blink:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1439478810' post='2843237']
[/quote]

To be fair I did say "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]More properly I guess the verse is C#, B#. A#." with the expectation that someone would tell me there's no such thing as B#.[/font][/color]

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1439479586' post='2843252']
eh? duh :blink:
[/quote]

I think the intention was to say that, in basic harmony, each note letter should occur once, and once only, to make reading much easier. If there's already a 'B', for instance, a 'Bb' would be best written as 'A#'. If there's already a 'D', a 'C#' would be preferable to a 'Db'. This way there are no duplicates of the scale notes. There are, of course, exceptions, such as the complete chromatic scale, but they're not considered as 'simple' scales.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1439481326' post='2843272']
For some reason, the OP wants to play the verse in Db (C#) and the chorus in D. :D
[/quote]

That might explain my problem working out what scale it was. :blush:

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1439482083' post='2843289']
No problem. :)
I was just wondering, why you might be complicating it.
[/quote]

I played this so often but I couldn't think what the notes were without a bass in my hands and the benefit of muscle memory. Just goes to show have s**t some online tabs are.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1439481326' post='2843272']
For some reason, the OP wants to play the verse in Db (C#) and the chorus in D. :D
[/quote]

Well spotted, maybe its the jazz version ...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1439481500' post='2843282']
I think the intention was to say that, in basic harmony, each note letter should occur once, and once only, to make reading much easier. If there's already a 'B', for instance, a 'Bb' would be best written as 'A#'. If there's already a 'D', a 'C#' would be preferable to a 'Db'. This way there are no duplicates of the scale notes. There are, of course, exceptions, such as the complete chromatic scale, but they're not considered as 'simple' scales.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

ta, i think :lol: i can play the song (with protests ignored) just dont know the notes, and as i dont write music knowing theory isnt important ( time constraints also mean learning is difficult) i'd love to know it as noodling would be easier

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1439469694' post='2843103']
Inspired by the 50 Basslines everyone should know I immediately thought "Teenage Kicks". The thread wants Song, Bass player and Scale. I don't want to play it, but everyone should know it.

So I got thinking about the scale.. This is way beyond me, given how simple the song is.

So the verse is C#, C and A#
The chorus is G, G# and A.

More properly I guess the verse is C#, B#. A#. And before you pedants start, yes there is such a note as B#. This bit could be C# major (Tonic, maj7th, maj 6th) but to me it resolves to the A# so its A# minor, (min3, 2, 1 progression)
I think its obvious that the chorus has to be a modulation, because the chorus resolves to A. My musical theory isn't great but I can't think of any scale with two consecutive half tome steps. Which I guess means G# is a passing chromatic. Does that mean the C# is also a passing note.

Put me out of my misery.
[/quote]

I think your record player is running a bit slow. :P