Why become a member? ×

I do not feel good...

Jesus

Yo guys, after being excited about bass for months, and finally getting my bass and being absolutely rubbish, and the whole thing being really disheartening i think i desperately need a proper lesson, or at least some face to face tuition, or just some face to face advice.

I knew i was not so good, but a mate came over (a guitar player) and started playing the crap out of my bass for fun and that sent my confidence rock bottom, and ive been neglecting this place in the process, and i just feel really bad and low about everything bass related.

I went to the Offset Festival in Romford, Essex over the weekend, and i've well and truly got the bass bug back, and the desire for a white Thunderbird but thats another story, anyways, is there anyone local to Colchester, or Essex as a whole who would fancy giveing me a few pointers or at least slowly showing me what they do? Im not a rich man but i will play this bass well if its the last thing i do!!!

Rant over, thanks in advance,

Jesus (slightly wrecked on red wine but staring at his bass that deserves better)

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='275007' date='Sep 1 2008, 10:13 PM']Don't be put off by a guitarist doing 'stunts' on your bass. Tricks are of very limited use in the real bass world.[/quote]

+1
A guitarist shredding on a bass doesn't make him a good bass player, it makes him a guitarist with the wrong tool !

Si

When you say you're rubbish .... are you sure you're not expecting too much of yourself too soon? There are people who seem to be able to pick up any instrument and just play it, but there's often a reason, like coming from a musical family, or not having any friends :) . For the rest of us it starts off as a bit of a struggle. The advantage of a teacher is they'll start you off at the right level, and if there really is no hope, they should tell you.

+1 for ignoring the guitarist, and anyone else showing off. If he wanted to help he would pick a song with a simple bass line, show you how to play it (assuming he can :huh::) ) and then play the guitar part slowly for you to follow. It's what mates are for, I think.

Playing the bass, much like any instrument, is *difficult*. If it wasn't then anybody could do it and it wouldn't be worth the trouble. They say is takes around 1,000 hours to get competent at any complex task and I think that's probably fair. This isn't to put you off, it's just to get you to understand that you will be rubbish to start with - everybody is. Getting over the initial "I can't do anything" is the hardest part of learning to play bass.

I'm afraid that the world of music is full of people giving it, "I just picked it up and could play it". They're all lying :-)

Good luck, get some lessons - it's all worth it!!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='275158' date='Sep 2 2008, 04:57 AM']I'm afraid that the world of music is full of people giving it, "I just picked it up and could play it". They're all lying :-)[/quote]

...or they might already have huge background in music eg played string instruments all through school, so much of the musical theory and 'nimble fingers' might already be there.

[quote name='Sibob' post='275021' date='Sep 1 2008, 10:31 PM']+1
A guitarist shredding on a bass doesn't make him a good bass player, it makes him a guitarist with the wrong tool !

Si[/quote]

Too right. Don't be intimidated.

Hang on in there Jesus. <<sounds like a country&western tune

[quote name='lwtait' post='275266' date='Sep 2 2008, 11:00 AM']i feel the same when i see victor wooten play...[/quote]

+1. I’m a good ‘amateur’ player, but I realised a while ago that I’ll never be a Wooten :) Bollocks to it though, I like playing Jamiroquai so f*** it, I’m not a solo performer and don’t have ANY aspirations to be one either. That guy just takes things to a completely new level with the whole ethos of the bass guitar and music in general that a lot of pros will never get anywhere near.

Jesus, you won’t be a pro musician over night mate – good things come to those who wait (and practice a lot) :huh:

[quote name='Jesus' post='274887' date='Sep 1 2008, 08:04 PM']Yo guys, after being excited about bass for months, and finally getting my bass and being absolutely rubbish, and the whole thing being really disheartening i think i desperately need a proper lesson, or at least some face to face tuition, or just some face to face advice.

I knew i was not so good, but a mate came over (a guitar player) and started playing the crap out of my bass for fun and that sent my confidence rock bottom, and ive been neglecting this place in the process, and i just feel really bad and low about everything bass related.[/quote]

Dude, I think any newbie goes through this - I'm fairly new as well, and I get times when I can't put the thing down, and times when it's like "oh sod it!". I think it's natural. The fact you've made this post means you obvisouly give a crap. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

I would defo go for lessons, I go once a week for an hour, well worth the investment. Oh, and get in a band with a good looking girly lead singer - helped me no end, but thats a different matter! :)

[quote name='Sibob' post='275021' date='Sep 1 2008, 10:31 PM']+1

Si[/quote]
or a tool with the wrong guitar even :)

Don't get despondent. You'll bring me down further.

I too have been sitting here getting more & more down about playing, gigging, life, the universe....everything [i]© Douglas Adams[/i]

A lot of that is down to lack of gigs due to holidays & feeling like cr@p as the RA bites hard. Still r/h tomorrow night & my new RA drugs arrived this morning & I've had my first shot so here's hoping despite the weather at least I can pull out of it.

You've got the bug back from going to the festival. Persevere & set yourself reasonable targets to achieve. Don't expect to become another Sheehan/Hamm/Wooten/King/whoever overnight - if ever!! Better to be a solid dependable bass player than a flash git. A bit of flash is good but in the right place. A good solid base (bass) is what's required normally. Plug away at it & set yourself achievable goals each week.

On a slight tangent I do have days, some times weeks when I can hardly get a good tone from my bass - so much so I cant play for more than 5 mins without getting frsutrated and puttin the guitar back.

I've been playing 2 and a bit years now and I'm not a bad player but these down spots happen to everyone!

Hey my friend

Stick with it - Bass is the instrument of god !!

Listen if you want a bit of support and a few tips come over to the shop - I feel inadequate on a daily basis cause we have some great players thru here (miles better than me !)
dont worry about it we all feel it sometimes !

All the best

Darren
The Bass Merchant

[quote name='Jesus' post='274887' date='Sep 1 2008, 08:04 PM']Yo guys, after being excited about bass for months, and finally getting my bass and being absolutely rubbish, and the whole thing being really disheartening i think i desperately need a proper lesson, or at least some face to face tuition, or just some face to face advice.

I knew i was not so good, but a mate came over (a guitar player) and started playing the crap out of my bass for fun and that sent my confidence rock bottom, and ive been neglecting this place in the process, and i just feel really bad and low about everything bass related.

I went to the Offset Festival in Romford, Essex over the weekend, and i've well and truly got the bass bug back, and the desire for a white Thunderbird but thats another story, anyways, is there anyone local to Colchester, or Essex as a whole who would fancy giveing me a few pointers or at least slowly showing me what they do? Im not a rich man but i will play this bass well if its the last thing i do!!!

Rant over, thanks in advance,

Jesus (slightly wrecked on red wine but staring at his bass that deserves better)[/quote]

i go through phases too.

i try and make sure i pick up the bass every day though, even if i'm going through an 'oh god, i'm sh*t at this' phase. (like today!) even if i just play for 5-10 mins and put it down, it's better for me personally than not touching it at all for a day.

all it takes is for a really good piece of feedback about my playing, or hearing an incredible bassline and i get fired up again.

i'd recommend lessons, and finding others to play with, helped me no end. i happened to find myself a VERY cute tutor, too, which is definitely enough to encourage me to pick up the bass and zip over to his for a lesson :) actually, perhaps thats what i need today...

x

Thanks for all your support guys, and i think i'll definately be taking you up on that offer Bilbo as soon as the car's back on the road if its still on the table.

I think a couple of pointers and some lessons will get me well on the way, at least then i'll know if what im doing is right, and wether im progressing at an expected level, or wether im even progressing at all.

I'll PM you in a few days Bilbo, felixestowe's not a million miles away. You can talk about Jazz all you like, i love learning about music i havnt paid much attention to in the past.

Its great having this forum... Without it i dont know if i'd have even got this far.