Why become a member? ×

Flamenco

Watching flamenco show in back street in Sanlucar de Barrameda in Andalucia ~ usual dancers and singer and clapping and guitarist but also guy doubling on flute, soprano sax and button harmonica - sounds like ennio morricone meets herbie mann doing jazz flamenco with bitter and twisted passion. And another glass of tinto.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1438901700' post='2838639']
Forget the tinto, you're in Sanlúcar! It's manzanilla time.

And "bitter and twisted passion" is what flamenco is all about.

Enjoy!
[/quote]
Too much cerveza and tinto to start on the manzanilla tonight ~ I would have lost the duende.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1439060115' post='2839740']
Wonderful. I flirted with flamenco dancing some years ago. Lovely stuff. Not easy, but sometimes I wish I'd persevered with it. Especially as it is a form of dance that you can do at any age.
[/quote]
Along with "dad dancing", of course...

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1439060115' post='2839740']
Wonderful. I flirted with flamenco dancing some years ago. Lovely stuff. Not easy, but sometimes I wish I'd persevered with it. Especially as it is a form of dance that you can do at any age.
[/quote]
It is never too late to start.

Mrs ET has always danced one way or another but flamenco for about 10 years now.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1439103502' post='2839912']
My son said I danced like a drunken robot. Given that my dance influences are Ray Charles and Leslie Phillips, I took it as a compliment.
[/quote]I say - ding dong! :lol:

Edited by KiOgon

Tomatito did an interesting album with Michel Camilo but I prefer his own flamenco thing. I got into flamenco in a big way many years ago but, sadly, had to leave it behind. I LOVE listening to Nuevo Flamenco but it is not something that I can ever get involved in because there are only a few flamenco guitarists in Felixstowe* and they are all a bit old school for me.

* are there f***. :lol:

I had the fun of sharing a bill in the South of France with a flamenco company, alongside a morris dancing team, I was playing melodeon for the morris dancers and I had some great time communicating with the musicians with points and grunts. They were genuinely shocked and surprised at the English rumpty tumpty playing style and seemed pretty impressed.