Why become a member? ×

Trying out amps...?

Cameronj279

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm sure someone will let me know if it isn't.

Basically as I said on another thread I started I'm now looking into getting a lightweight amp head however I'm totally clueless. I would like to try the TC Electronics RH450/750 and Markbass Little Mark iii. I've tried the TC amp but only in store and not in a band setting (where it matters) and don't know if there's a way to try them short of spending £75 to hire them for a day).

Any helps appreciated

Cameron

Edited by Cameronj279

There is no answer :( You just have to trawl the web, try to sort wheat from chaff on opinions, make a guess, plump money down.

Trying amps in stores has only given me the vaguest idea, ever.

A kind friend lent me one of the best-regarded 500W Class D amps for a month and it took me almost that long to discover that in my band, it didn't work nearly as well as my old amp.

You could hire... but at £75 (really?) you'd do far better buying a mint one secondhand, having a proper try, and selling on.

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1437863092' post='2829669']

You could hire... but at £75 (really?)
[/quote]

Well...£40 a day for the RH750 and £35 a day to hire the Littlemark.

I'm hoping to find a second hand of either amp to do what you said although I am leaning more towards the TC.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1437864572' post='2829677']
DSRs.

If you buy online you can inspect them in whatever setting you choose. If you don't like them, send them back.
[/quote]

Forgot about the cooling off period. Anybody had any experience with having to take advantage of this with guitarguitar? I reckon I'll be happy with the RH750 as I was rather impressed by it but just incase...

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1437868053' post='2829696']
Forgot about the cooling off period. Anybody had any experience with having to take advantage of this with guitarguitar? I reckon I'll be happy with the RH750 as I was rather impressed by it but just incase...
[/quote]

Guitar Guitar in Edinburgh sold me my RH450 and RS210 cabs back in 2009. I tried them at the shop with my then guitarist,, who was a good customer there, and they said "take it, try it at rehearsal,, and if you don't like it bring it back". So worth speaking to them. They surely know you could order online and take advantage of the 7-day right to return... and if you order online it doesn't need to be from them.
You have to be careful and make sure all the packaging and the amp itself is immaculate, just in case!

They are both very good amps, I had the TC amp as a back up to the Mark Bass but didn't really take to it so sold it on...not sure why....I have heard it said that Mark Bass colours your bass sound more that the TC, maybe that just gives me a sound I prefer

I did this few yrs back but ended up going for Genz streamliner 600 and 2off Berg AE112 cabs. Was good but very clinical sound and i couldn't quite put my finger on what was missing. It was depth.
Having just bought the Markbass CMD121P & NY121 ext cab i find the tone is coloured but in a good way and it has far more depth. Not necessarily bottom end but possibly LO-Mid punch which seems to suit me better using a Jazz bass.
I've only just got it last week with first rehearsal on Sat at decent volumes so will find out how it sits in the mix.
I found my Bergs couldn't cut thru guitar and keys in a Prog Rock band no matter what amp i was using from Genz, GK, Ampeg, Warwick they just didn't cut it.
On a side by side at home you can clearly hear the added depth and rounded tone of the Markbass compared to the clean clinical sound of the Bergs with a GK head.
I did look at the TC gear and know some friends with them and they sound good but again i feel they are a bit more clinical than the Markbass.

What kind of music are you playing and where abouts do you play - I'm in Biggar area so not far away.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1438110082' post='2831769']

What kind of music are you playing and where abouts do you play - I'm in Biggar area so not far away.

Dave
[/quote]

I figure the worst case scenario with me buying second hand is I'll lose a little bit of cash but not lots. Will be getting the Genz Benz shuttle tomorrow if all goes well. I feel like 'clinical' is a sound I actually would go for although I can't really say for certain at the moment.

We've been described by a few people as "proggy funk rock" a few times so I'd say that's a decent description! Playing a Paisley venue on Saturday 1st August and Glasgow West End venue in the 14th (shameless self promo!)

I know what you mean. I find I need a couple of months of toing and froing between any new rig and my old before I can decide on which I prefer. In fact I've just decided to stick with my old tried and trusted rig and sell on the new stuff I've bought this year.

Of course it'll cost me again but I've enjoyed trying out some high end gear and someone else will get to try it out at a discount.

BC needs to shoulder some of the blame here! The enthusiasm of basschatters is so infectious.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1438110697' post='2831776'] I figure the worst case scenario with me buying second hand is I'll lose a little bit of cash but not lots. Will be getting the Genz Benz shuttle tomorrow if all goes well. I feel like 'clinical' is a sound I actually would go for although I can't really say for certain at the moment. We've been described by a few people as "proggy funk rock" a few times so I'd say that's a decent description! Playing a Paisley venue on Saturday 1st August and Glasgow West End venue in the 14th (shameless self promo!) [/quote]

So what are you using at moment. ?

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1438117685' post='2831876']

So what are you using at moment. ?
[/quote]

At the moment nothing! I've been using whatever the in house amp/cab is...which more often than not is absolutely horrendous. The Gens Benz will be my first amp. Unfortunately because I don't drive I'll still be using whatever cab is available. The amp will be easy enough to take to gigs/rehearsals though.

Had a wee listen. Being a Prog fan for almost 40yrs now i'm not really sure which bracket your sound fits.
It probably is a touch of Progressive yet it has a distinct funk feel too with a modern vocal feel that isn't funk or prog - that's the bit i can't pigeon hole but that's a good thing because it makes you more unique.
Sounds good and i liked it a lot.
How i made my mind up was based on listening to bassists i like the sound off live and having a few friends that have both TC or Markbass rigs and i preferred the Markbass. I did think the clinical sound was gonna be for me but it just doesn't sit well in the mix for many bands i've played with.
My HT322 Berg cab has traditional speakers and certainly has more oomph than the Neo cabs but this Markbass floors it even within the house. I am lucky enough to have no real close neighbours and can ramp up my amp within reason when wife not in. LOL
It wasn't until i would use in band context that i found it didn't quite work for me. Having an active bass like my Warwick made a huge difference to the Berg clinical sound probably due to the active tone influence help colour the tone more.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1438118236' post='2831889']
Had a wee listen. Being a Prog fan for almost 40yrs now i'm not really sure which bracket your sound fits.
It probably is a touch of Progressive yet it has a distinct funk feel too with a modern vocal feel that isn't funk or prog - that's the bit i can't pigeon hole but that's a good thing because it makes you more unique.
Sounds good and i liked it a lot.

How i made my mind up was based on listening to bassists i like the sound o.
Dave
[/quote]

I've had a look at that but the band's I listen to the bass rig seems to differ so drastically there's no real consistency!

The song we have uploaded at the moment was the first song we ever done as a full band. That and a lot of our songs differ quite a bit makes it a bit tricky to really fit one solid genre. Funky rock tends to sum it up quite well for most songs really! Thank ya for the kind words!

You need to get your licence altho i didn't drive cars till 28. Bikes up till that point but we always just hired vans and drivers anyways back in them days.
The lightweight cab is the way to go then. The Markbass CMD 121P literally is approx 15" cubed and easily a one finger lift. Had the Genz Streamliner which had a nice warm feel to it due to valve section.
Nice amps.
I have found recently that its the cab that seems to make most difference in my own tone rather than the amp. Not sure if its down to better speakers these days or rather that in my younger days virtually all speakers sounded much the same due to manufacturing practices back then. So many changes in technology over past 10 yrs that you are left with a huge choice in everything from sound, weight, tone and of course price. When i was your age it was either Marshall or Peavey for a decent stack to impress.

Dave

Definitely. it's number one on the priority list at the moment if I'm honest. I know it'll be helpful for lots of things other than carting gear around. The cabs I've used in studios I've been most impressed by have been Hartke. Ampeg have always left a complete 'meh' feeling.

Amps are going sound different for many different reasons, from the size of the room, height of the ceiling, how many people are in the room to where the amp is placed on stage to where your standing.

My point, buy the amp you like, I don't think it will make a difference.

Blue

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1438152591' post='2832019']
Why don't you organise a local Bass Bash? That way fellow Bassists will bring their rigs and you can try them out....sorted.
[/quote]

I wouldn't know how to start organising a bass bash if I'm honest! Plus it still wouldn't be trying the rigs out in the situation they would actually be used in (i.e with my guitarist/drummist).

The Genz Benz amp is on it's way and looking forward to using it at rehearsal tomorrow though

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1437858839' post='2829633']
I'm now looking into getting a lightweight amp head
[/quote]

Cut to the chase. . . . every company has a lightweight amp and 99% of them will sound good. A few of them will sound great but you'll have to play them to decide that.

I don't know what you want to sound like but I've owned about 6 lightweight amps in the last 6 years and finally settled on an Aguilar TH500. It suits my P bass and flats sound and works very well with my Berg cabs. My other favourite was the Genz STL 9.2.