Why become a member? ×

Whatever happened to Rock n roll

PaulWarning

Ahh, ye olde "young people don't like proper music" discussion. Not had this one for about five minutes.

It was nonsense when your grandparents said it about kids listening to the Beatles and it's still nonsense when you say it today.

Not liking "70s hard rock and blues" isn't a sign of not knowing what rock is. It's a sign of not liking "70s hard rock and blues". No more, no less. I love lots of rock music, but I'd leave that bar too I'm afraid - blues rock is utterly unlistenable as far as I'm concerned. You'd probably hate lots of the bands I like---doesn't mean that neither of us understands what rock is. Just that we have different taste in music.

Do you know when rock'n'roll will actually die? It'll be when kids are listening to music that their parents approve of. Because that will be a clear sign that no one is doing anything new anymore.

Edited by uncle psychosis

To many people music used to be special because they had to go out of their way to find it. An audience had to make an effort.

Rock started and flourished because your parents didn't approve. I've taken my kids to gigs and my son has taken me to some. I went to festivals but my parents never did. This year my 65 year old next door neighbour and his son went off to Glasto. I'm pretty sure no one imagined Rock would ever turn into a family event.

Punk was subversive for about 5 mins but since then music has just been a commodity.

These days the entertainment machine has turned music into audio wallpaper. Everything is available to every one all the time and nothing is special any more. Rock was breaking down barriers from day one. What does it do when there are no more barriers? I guess that's what we've got.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1438334192' post='2833597']
Do you know when rock'n'roll will actually die? It'll be when kids are listening to music that their parents approve of. Because that will be a clear sign that no one is doing anything new anymore.[/quote]

Nailed!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438307317' post='2833483']
Now that I will agree with. When 20 somethings walk in on one of our gigs ( we do 70s hard rock & blues ) they leave immediately. That's ok, we have enough of an over 50 crowd to support the band. We don't need them.
[/quote]

They stay at ours. If they left immediately, I'd be curious why. And the sight of fifty or sixty 18 year olds in fancy dress leaping up and down to "One way or another" will stay with me for a long time. I'd rather not take a contemptuous attitude to a potential audience, although I appreciate that as it isn't going to affect the amount you'll get paid and because they're too young for you to have any regard for them then it won't bother you.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1438334192' post='2833597']
Not liking "70s hard rock and blues" isn't a sign of not knowing what rock is. It's a sign of not liking "70s hard rock and blues". No more, no less. I love lots of rock music, but I'd leave that bar too I'm afraid - blues rock is utterly unlistenable as far as I'm concerned. You'd probably hate lots of the bands I like---doesn't mean that neither of us understands what rock is. Just that we have different taste in music.
[/quote]

Agreed, most of the groups round us do 70s rock and blues and I feel the same about it, not something I would hang around and see. There is only one group that make it worth seeing and that is because they are very OTT and not serious.

We try and avoid that - I don't want to listen to it, so I would rather not play more than the occasional song of it.

Thinking about it, I reckon Rock probably is more popular with the young and trendy now than it was when I was young (never been remotly trendy)

When I was at school in the mid 90s no-one listened to rock whatsoever. Me and two mates listened to Death Metal and [u]everyone[/u] else wore a brightly coloured puffy coat and listened to Pete Tong's Ibiza Anthems.

I went to Lattitude a couple of weeks back and there were and handful of young people who appeared to be enjoying what was on offer. Although I think it may just have been so they could take a video on their phones for facebook so their mates back home could know they'd seen a famous person....