Why become a member? ×

'Guitar Star' on Sky Arts

JwK94

Yeah the Jazz guy is scarily good, major major chops. But at the same time I feel like their can't really be a true winner when you have several great players from such different styles. Once you get to some of their levels (not really the rock guy) it goes past comparing their skill to comparing the genres and styles, which of course isnt a competition.

Edited by JwK94

[quote name='JwK94' timestamp='1437606867' post='2827605']
Yeah the Jazz guy is scarily good, major major chops. But at the same time I feel like their can't really be a true winner when you have several great players from such different styles. Once you get to some of their levels (not really the rock guy) it goes past comparing their skill to comparing the genres and styles, which of course isnt a competition.
[/quote]+1
I couldn't agree more, which is why I made the point earlier, [i]how can you have [u]just one winner[/u] from the combined styles of Jazz, Rock, Classical and Acoustic?[/i]

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1437604096' post='2827592']
Saw the first few shows... There was a young lad on who was a travis picker ......exceptionally good...
[/quote]

Got through a few rounds but I think he was probably too much of a 1 trick pony in the end.

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1437742018' post='2828709']
Got through a few rounds but I think he was probably too much of a 1 trick pony in the end.
[/quote]

I'd quite like to see an 'other styles' category. The Travis picker was indeed pretty slick, but where would you put him in the current setup? I didn't see any Blues players this time around, but where would you put those? (No, it's not the same as Rock.) I'm sure folks can think of other styles that wouldn't fit easily into any of the groups they currently have.

I've watched every episode. I thought the idea and name were embarrassing before watching it. Then I just enjoyed watching all these different guitar players doing their thing and showing people what they're about musically.

I didn't think Alfie Glass should have gotten through the first round as he hardly played anything. But in the masterclass with Tony Iommi he was ok and he was the only performer on the stage. He was the least virtuosic player but he had the best tone and was the bluesiest. I thought he handled himself well in the studio - his riff was wicked.

My favourite player was the Travis picker but I didn't hear much improvisation or deviation from the source material.

The jazz player has chops for days but is the least natural performer of the 4 and would flop at the festival. I'd go to see him play though.

The classical kid is stupendous. I'd go and see him play too.

The percussive acoustic thing bores me but the guy in the semi-finals is quite a fun player. I wouldn't go to see him live though. Just not my thing.

I loved all the little masterclasses. All of the guests - even the most technically gifted - have talked about the importance of performance / feeling / passion, whatever you want to call it. If there's no reason for your playing, there's no reason to listen to it and certainly not watch it.

Must put a word in for Alfie Glass, the 13 year old rock prodigy. Watching the rest of the rock guitarists was like seeing a bunsen burner flame gently raised up and down. For all his erratic false starts Alfie romped and stomped like a flame-thrower. It was like Kiss or Slade vs Snowy White clones.

Edited by cytania

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1437904779' post='2829804']
Must put a word in for Alfie Glass, the 13 year old rock prodigy. Watching the rest of the rock guitarists was like seeing a bunsen burner flame gently raised up and down. For all his erratic false starts Alfie romped and stomped like a flame-thrower. It was like Kiss or Slade vs Snowy White clones.
[/quote]

Well yes he certainly had the exuberance of youth (and no doubt a rock star in the making), but that wasn't the brief as set out for the series (and as can be viewed on the Arts Channel website). It's effectively saying 'We have these rules in place for everybody else, but we'll waive them for this kid because he's kind of cute and looks the part'.

In a series that bigs up the level of skill the guitarist can bring to the instrument, he is by far the weakest of the semi-finalists - he wasn't even the best of the rock players, and the fact that he came through that stage had me scratching my head a bit. If he gets in above any of the other three then we'll all know what's really going on here, and I'll be off never to return.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1438005328' post='2830731']
AFAIK The Latitude Festival (which the winner gets to play at) has been and gone? Last weekend I think..
[/quote]

Lattitude was weekend before last... I went and didn't see anything about this? although I was very very drunk and only remember three things.

1) Savages were almost a great band
2) The bass player from the Vaccines was using a ric and it sounded quite good
3) The singer from the Vaccines twice refered to his band totally seriously as "The Magnificent vaccines"...

Just watched the final, and I have to say first of all that the right three got through.

They were all brilliant, but I think the right person won as well. He was one of my two favourites from the whole series (actually the jazz player was the other, but in the event I thought he was a tad anonymous onstage - much as it bugs me to have to agree with Huey Morgan!)

Overall it came out o.k. I was genuinely nervous to hear who had won, so they must have done something right! :)

I did a bit of digging around on youTube about the winner (Gary Lutton), and found this home vid he made. The video quality is a bit poor TBH, but it does show how intricate and delicate his playing is - fantastic use of harmonics!

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgv8bxKFrPs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgv8bxKFrPs[/url]

Longer term he'll have to provide more variety I think, but right now it sounds pretty good IMHO.

Aye the right fella won for a festival crowd. Thankfully it's only 2 "songs", No matter how good or unique the playing any more
than 15 minutes of this would bore me to death.I never heard anything I would say was a tune just rap-a-tat-tat,strum,harmonic,
rap-a-tat-tat,strum,harmonic and repeat.

Good on the lad for entering and winning the show but don't expect me at one of his shows.

If Goldilocks had won then a stunt dog was on the cards to win the next season.