Why become a member? ×

Bruce Foxton - From The Jam

Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1437125625' post='2823744']
We do a couple of Jam numbers and those Foxton bass lines are supremely wonderful.

Down in the tube station at midnight and Going underground if you were wondering....
[/quote]

For 12 years I played in a 3 piece band called 48 Thrills which played classic punk [i]strictly [/i]from 1976 -1979. We did most of the first Clash album and lots of Buzzcocks, Damned, Gen X, Ruts, Elvis Costello, Ramones etc. Sadly the guitarist subscribed to either the Clash or the Jam philosophy so we only did 3 Jam songs and it was a struggle to get those into the set I can tell you. We also did Tube Station and Going Underground plus In The City. I would have loved to have done Town Called Malice, Start, & Eton Rifles.

That said this was the subject of one of the best 'heckles' I've ever heard on stage. Many of our regular punters were die hard Clash fans and at one gig one of them shouted out...' Can you play a Jam song, I wanna go out for a fag!'

Bruce was down in Deal recently but sadly on a night I was gigging and it's the same story at Dartford I think.

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1437125625' post='2823744']
We do a couple of Jam numbers and those Foxton bass lines are supremely wonderful.

Down in the tube station at midnight and Going underground if you were wondering....
[/quote]

As a mod revival band we do all the jam classics plus a few lesser known ones. All have great bass lines but by far my favourite song to play is Start

We do start and Eton Rifles. I would like to do town called malice, down in the tubestation and going underground, as a rotation (ie, not all 5 in one set), but I think down in the tubestation would be out as the singer would have trouble with the words.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1437106179' post='2823610']
Wish I was nearer to this and not in the North East. Foxton was one of the bassists that got me into taking it seriously and not just following the guitars!
[/quote]

From The Jam[color=#CCCCCC][font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=2]
[color=#000000][b]October 2015[/b][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#CCCCCC][font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=2]
[color=#000000]Wednesday 7th [/color][color=#000000]'Sound Affects'[/color][color=#000000] The Green Room, Darlington[/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#CCCCCC][font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=2]
[color=#000000]November 2015[/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#CCCCCC][font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=2]
[color=#000000]Saturday 7th 'Sound Affects' 02 Academy Newcastle.[/color][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1437231848' post='2824588']
Agree they`re great basslines, and when you consider how young Bruce Foxton was when he wrote them, well pretty amazing really.
[/quote]

Did Foxton write the bass lines? Or were they devised by Weller? Always loved the band and I'm genuinely interested in knowing. Maybe the answer is well-known and I've never read it.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1437288455' post='2824789']
Did Foxton write the bass lines? Or were they devised by Weller? Always loved the band and I'm genuinely interested in knowing. Maybe the answer is well-known and I've never read it.
[/quote]

Fairly sure Foxton wrote a lot of them - apparently he used to be a guitarist and switched to bass so the melody and riffing probably comes from that. Plus from what I`ve read in various interviews it seems both Foxton and Buckler were more involved in the song-writing than is widely known, the general theory being Weller did everything but apparently that`s a bit of an exaggeration. It seems that the band were happy for this when they were going as it strengthened them having a "genius" at the helm, but years later realised they`d been undersold a bit. Famous quote "There were three people in The Jam and one of them was Paul Weller".