Why become a member? ×

Considering buying a Squier Classic Vibe 50's P Bass, What should I expect?

thewalruswaspaul

Ive always been a sucker for old school retro looking basses and recently have noticed the Squier Classic Vibe 50's P Bass with the single coil pickup and have decided that I have to have one. What I am thinking of doing is buying one and then dropping in an aftermarket vintage voiced pickup (probably the Seymour Duncan one) , however i've never actually heard (or not that i can remember) a Single coil P bass , what can I expect tonally? , im familiar with Split coil P bass sound but not the Single coil P bass sound

Yeah , I have heard that they are very good so I was considering buying one instead of a 51 Precision reissue (which I cant really afford) as I think the difference probably doesn't justify me spending the extra money as the Squiers have had such a good response. So you would say that the pickups have a good old school type of sound?

i saw one today in my local music shop, was thinking of having a go, but was there for a repair and didn't want to spend any money. it looked great, anyway, much better in the flesh (can you say in the flesh for a bass? they don't have any flesh. whatever.) than on the internet.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone owns or has tried one of these basses? I haven't been able to find one in the shops, but due to back issues I'd like to get an idea of weight before buying one. I know they're made of basswood so I'm hoping they're not overly heavy!

Cheers!

[quote name='flip' post='383053' date='Jan 17 2009, 10:23 AM']I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone owns or has tried one of these basses? I haven't been able to find one in the shops, but due to back issues I'd like to get an idea of weight before buying one. I know they're made of basswood so I'm hoping they're not overly heavy!

Cheers![/quote]

I bought one recently and it a superb little bass! Fairly lightweight; I've also got a back issue and since the bass has `regular' body contours (not a slab body) its very comfortable to play.

They have always been my favourite bass.

Peoiple think that they only do old school tones but that's not true. I can get a very clean, modern passive tone from mine through to just plain dirty when I dig in.

The Seymour duncans are good pickups. I have one in my Gold Warmoth single coil but had a Lollar in my other single coil bass.

If you want something like my explanation of my gold one then go with the SD. If you want a proper old school tone then go with a Lollar and change out the cap for a paper in oil one.

I bought one just after christmas, and I have had previously a 51 japenese reissue.

I sold the 51 because I found the nech stocky. and the lack of a for arm chamfer uncomfortable.

I intended to replace the bridge, [I may still do because I dont like its bulk] and the pickup, but Ive decided its not necessary.

I have fralins in two of my passive basses and think they are great pickups, but im impressed with the squier pick up.

Its needed some tweaking, but individual basses to vary . I tried one somewhere else and it was better set up.

I think they are amazing value for the money.

Only criticism is although the cavity has sheilding paint and a proper earth wire into the cavity, the sheilding paint doesnt cover the whole cavity. Ive just sheilded mine with copper foil.

Light weight, very good finish, sounds nice

A steal I paid £229

That's great, thank you for all the feedback!

Strange question, but I don't suppose any owners have the means to weigh their aforementioned bass? It's just that I have no way of trying one out seeing as searches in London and Bristol have proved fruitless!

If it clocks in less than my Lakland Glaub then it'll be ideal for gigging....

[quote name='flip' post='383834' date='Jan 18 2009, 12:30 PM']I don't suppose any owners have the means to weigh their aforementioned bass?[/quote]
FWIW, the half dozen or so Classic and VM Squier Precisions I´ve tried were all over the place in terms of weight. Some were rather heavy.

I particularly enjoyed one 50s model that was very lightweight and perfectly set up (unlike most of the Fenders in the shop). Nice bass.

[quote name='flip' post='383834' date='Jan 18 2009, 11:30 AM']That's great, thank you for all the feedback!

Strange question, but I don't suppose any owners have the means to weigh their aforementioned bass? It's just that I have no way of trying one out seeing as searches in London and Bristol have proved fruitless!

If it clocks in less than my Lakland Glaub then it'll be ideal for gigging....[/quote]

Mine is 8.4 lbs and is lighter than my us jo osbourne

If the glaub is to heavy for you I dont mind doing a swap ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought the 60's Precision, but got a good chance to play the 50's model as well. It sounds just as good as it's Japanese counterpart & the build quality on all these Chinese made Vibes is excellent. The neck on the one I played was gorgeous flamed maple (with flaming around the circumfrence) and the most lustrous high gloss lacquer I've seen on a wooden neck in ages. The 50's neck also has the true original wide circumfrence neck, so it feels chunky like it should, whereas the 60's model has the thinner more modern [almost jazz-like] neck.

I've got the jazz on order at Electro so we'll see what that one comes out like, too. As my brother Nick (DOTB) says, these are so nice it'd be great to have the whole set of three at this money!

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

My brother spaketh the truth! I'm seriously tempted by the other models in the range - might have mentioned somewhere else that I went to buy the Jazz, ended up demoing it for a customer in the shop and the guy took it - didn't have the heart to say that I wanted it! (still, it is me dad's shop I spose! And no, I don't get free basses - would be nice!).

Rich - do you have any pix of yours yet?

Cheers!

Nick