Why become a member? ×

Anyone using D'addario XL165 nickel wounds?

bassbiscuits

Anyone using D'addario XL165 nickel wounds?

I'm a long-term Rotosound user, but none of the local shops have what I need, so i've ended up getting these as the only things in the right gauge ( i needed the bass re-strung for a gig this weekend)

Haven't put them on yet - if they're dreadful they could always end up being returned soon...!

I use them on my jazz basses, and the slightly heavier EXL-160 on my Precisions. Good strings (well, I obviously think that or I wouldn't keep using them!). I usually buy them as twin packs, saves a bit if money and means I usually have a spare set or two if needed.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1436439093' post='2818118']
I use them on my jazz basses, and the slightly heavier EXL-160 on my Precisions. Good strings (well, I obviously think that or I wouldn't keep using them!). I usually buy them as twin packs, saves a bit if money and means I usually have a spare set or two if needed.
[/quote]

Cheers mate - that's worth knowing.
I was worried that they'd be a bit extreme and bright, which is why i avoided the ultra bright (pro steels?) on shelf next to them.

The bearded one speaks the truth. D'Addario EXL are good strings. So are the XL, in my opinion. I was a long-term Roto user as well, but a year or two ago found the quality not as good as it has perhaps should have been. This was with RS66. I'm currently using the Roto RB45s on one of my basses and I like them a lot.

Edited by discreet

Definitely not over-bright, even when new. I like a bit of twang on my Jazz basses, which these strings have but the 160s with their heavier top strings lack.

I think Mr Indiscreet is trying to pull a fast one here, I'm not sure there is such as a thing as a D'addario XL string. The packets on my shelf have D'Addario XL in big letters n the front, and EXL160 under that. XL seems to cover a wide range of their strings, but can't see any bass strings that are just XL.

[attachment=195922:1-2015-07-09 12.14.41.jpg]

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1436440734' post='2818132']
I think Mr Indiscreet is trying to pull a fast one here, I'm not sure there is such as a thing as a D'addario XL.
[/quote]

You're probably right - I'm going by the 'XL' tag that came with my new Sire V7 - they are factory-strung with D'Addarios.

Dang, I was hoping for the full 5 page debate here, not expecting you to capitulate at the first challenge! Can you tell I'm a tad bored today? I spent all day out on my bike yesterday and it's either sit here discussing the intimate details of bass strings or carry on sorting out the band's accounts. You can see my dilemma!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1436448573' post='2818236']
Tried a few different sets on my Sandberg VM5 and EXL165-5's are the ones I've settled on. 45-65-85-105 and a stunning non-tapered 135 for the Low B. Great strings!
[/quote]

Ah now i was weighing up whether to put them on my Sandberg TT4 or my MIA precision - all the publicity for these strings makes a big deal of how bright they are, and with the Sandberg already being pretty bright, I had my doubts about them being a good pairing.

In fairness on the little youtube snippets about them they sound nice and full, rather than harsh or toppy.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1436452620' post='2818268']
I put a set on my 66 Jazz at the Herts bash a few weeks back. So far I'm very impressed and much prefer them to Roto Nickels.
[/quote]

I found Roto nickels to be pretty disappointing the one time i tried them a few years back - made my bass sound like it had been neutered in some way, with all the thump and zing gone.

Hoping the XLs are a bit more mainstream.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436439675' post='2818123']
The bearded one speaks the truth. D'Addario EXL are good strings. So are the XL, in my opinion. I was a long-term Roto user as well, but a year or two ago found the quality not as good as it has perhaps should have been. This was with RS66. I'm currently using the Roto RB45s on one of my basses and I like them a lot.
[/quote]
If you were using RS66 Nickels, the Roto RBs are the exact same string without silk.

Lo Riders to me are a touch smoother than XLs and are pretty similar in tension. DRs last for a long time.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1436463491' post='2818394']
If you were using RS66 Nickels, the Roto RBs are the exact same string without silk.
[/quote]

Christ, I'm not having much luck in this thread, am I?? :rolleyes: I can only tell as I find. The last set of RS66 I had were rough as feck and shredded my fingers (and the E was dead) and I've had a few sets of RB45s over several basses and they've been really great. Coincidence or QC issue? Who knows!

I mailed Jason and he sent me a new set, but they were still rough as a badger's arse, so... in any case I'm going through a period of trying out lots of different types and brands of string after using RS66 for 30-odd years. It's quite a revelation really.