Why become a member? ×

Lets have a cheap bass thread

sellisnba

My bitsa P bass. Body was £20 off eBay, no idea what it was originally but it's solid wood and weighs as much as a car. Neck was from my beaten up old Squier Jazz (yes I added the decal, sue me). Pickup is a hot Wilkinson off eBay, a tenner I think it was. Bridge was a fiver, pickguard was about 20. EMG active 2-band eq came from my spares box, had it for years and can't remember how much it was :) Vinyl pretend-MOP neck blocks were a fiver or so. Total cost, not very much at all, but it plays very nicely and sounds thunderous. I might get round to adding a J bridge pickup at some point. Shame it's so fecking heavy.

IMG_20141025_182057.JPG

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Westfield Thumb Bass Copy.

Passive, Vol/Vol/Tone.

I paid £60 for this, with a cheapo 20w practice amp, decent padded gig bag, lead, and strap thrown in.

Good points: Decent tone of mid-pronounced character, Lovely Ash Body, nice dark rosewood on the fretboard, real abalone dot markers. Looks amazing.

Bad points: Totally unbalanced with severe neck-dive, Horrible neck finish, terrible fretwork- uneven frets with rough edges, buzzing all over the place, didn’t stay in tune, needed frequent truss-rod adjustments, low output.

Would I recommend? ... No 

D9D3E6BE-37EC-47F8-97E6-72670D90646A.jpeg

Edited by Fionn

My Sub Zero (Gear4Music own brand) semi. I picked it up as B stock from gear4music's eBay page for an absolute steal at £100. When it turned up it was brand new, still in the packaging, and I can't for the life of me figure out why they sold it as B stock, but who am I to complain. 

It's an absolute dream to play and, to me at least, looks and sounds amazing considering the price point (around £200). If anything happened to it I'd happily pay the full price for another. 

IMG_20180726_125437.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

My Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass, which is actually my main, qualifies for this thread, though my pickup upgrades does bring it way over the price limit for this thread all together, so not sure if that disqualifies it, even if the stock bass definitely is under 180£ from new.

Anyway here is is my black, 28,6" scale Ibanez Mikro Bass, with mahogany body and bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard featuring 22 medium frets, and with a P/J set of EMG Geezer Butler pickups installed, though the P Geezer is soon to be replaced for a DiMarzio Model P pickup:

New-bass-pic-020619-666-small-copy.jpg

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 1 month later...
On 25/10/2018 at 11:15, Newfoundfreedom said:

My Sub Zero (Gear4Music own brand) semi. I picked it up as B stock from gear4music's eBay page for an absolute steal at £100. When it turned up it was brand new, still in the packaging, and I can't for the life of me figure out why they sold it as B stock, but who am I to complain. 

It's an absolute dream to play and, to me at least, looks and sounds amazing considering the price point (around £200). If anything happened to it I'd happily pay the full price for another. 

IMG_20180726_125437.jpg

Nice lookign bass , are those mudbuckers? (high output, lots of bass etc) , btw thats one mad mid scoop you have on the amp

First up is my metallic Blue JB-20. I have fitted a set of Tonerider pickups, Sixstring Supplies Solderless wiring loom with CTS pots etc, Licenced Hipshot Ultralites and D'addario Chromes (45,60,80,110)

I more recently have started using a different bass for the first half and another for the second half. This is my first half bass more suited to the set list.

20200704_121122.jpg

20200704_121128.jpg

20200704_121137.jpg

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 2

Second up is my second set list bass - the JB-75MN

This one has a Fender high mass bridge, EMG BTS System running at 18v, Hipshot USA Ultralites and Xtender. This one is fitted with D'addario Prosteels 

I am also known for saying that I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than have a tort scratchplate but I decided to take a walk on the wild side and see what all the fuss was about. I think it was about £8 on Amazon.

I had to drill a side jack as the BTS System has 4 controls

20200704_121005.jpg

20200704_121016.jpg

20200704_121026.jpg

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 2