Why become a member? ×

Tried out a few cabs today

Guinness21

Enjoy your CN212. It is one of the best lightweight 2x12 cabs you can get IMO. I have been using mine for several months and could not be happier. I have no experience of Vanderkley or Barefaced, but have used Genz Benz, Markbass, EBS and GK cabs in the past and the CN212 is on another planet IMO. This is the last cab i will ever buy (until the next dose of GAS hits me :) )

For whatever reason you picked the CN212 after trying out a whole bunch of cabs. Its a serious investment, so go and savor the flavor.

Glad you found a cab that works.. Whether it a Peavey, Barefaced or SWR or whatever, as long as it works for you then that is all that matters. A conclusion is a conclusiion however that is achieved. Nice one, enjoy!

I love my CN212 and yes it is voiced, so is the 212mnt and so will the barefaced be, that is why they all sound different to whatever extent given the same amp, bass and player.
I don't buy into the whole flat response argument, everything has a voice from the guitar to the cable to the amp to the cab, the skill is in matching the gear to get a combination that works for you in your situation. Good luck with the Berg, it will serve you well👍

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1433781711' post='2793921']
I love my CN212 and yes it is voiced, so is the 212mnt and so will the barefaced be, that is why they all sound different to whatever extent given the same amp, bass and player.
I don't buy into the whole flat response argument, everything has a voice from the guitar to the cable to the amp to the cab, the skill is in matching the gear to get a combination that works for you in your situation. Good luck with the Berg, it will serve you well
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, of course, you could always have a 'flat' piece of kit, like a cab, in your chain for example, don't like the sound so you 'EQ' to sound 'better'
Now you may EQ it 'flat' or you may be so far off 'flat' you're from another planet, so the concept of flat is a bit ridiclulous if you have a tone stack
in your signal chain.
I seriously doubt many here could play a bass with a really clean pure signal..
That, in itself would be an interesting experiment..

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1433617674' post='2792592']
I never agree that the bass should be sacrificed any more than a gtr would be ... as it just shouldn't be neccesary
but it also assumes you have people who know what the end goal is. If people can't recognise this, then they aren't
the sort of players you play with...
[/quote]

I don't think of it as "sacrificing" so much as merely recognising that bass (and indeed any instrument) sounds different in the context of a mix than it does when played solo.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1433788884' post='2793997']
I don't think of it as "sacrificing" so much as merely recognising that bass (and indeed any instrument) sounds different in the context of a mix than it does when played solo.
[/quote]

Not sure I recall other instruments recognising that to any degree...or nowhere near having the bass player having a very honky sound, just so it might cut thru, being a pig to play, ..but that is ok..you sound great outfront. I just don't think that approach should be neccesary and if any sound engr suggests that... I wonder if he knows what he is doing. It is just too basic an approach, IME.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1433787799' post='2793982']

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, of course, you could always have a 'flat' piece of kit, like a cab, in your chain for example, don't like the sound so you 'EQ' to sound 'better'
Now you may EQ it 'flat' or you may be so far off 'flat' you're from another planet, so the concept of flat is a bit ridiclulous if you have a tone stack
in your signal chain.
I seriously doubt many here could play a bass with a really clean pure signal..
That, in itself would be an interesting experiment..
[/quote]
I am not sure there is a "flat" cab out there, a bit of personality goes a long way though😎

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1433787799' post='2793982']I seriously doubt many here could play a bass with a really clean pure signal..
That, in itself would be an interesting experiment..[/quote]

Never had a problem doing that myself. RIM Custom 5 with passive electronics into Avalon U5 into QSC PLX 3002 into one of our Big Series cabs. Somewhat like Anthony Jackson's approach but done on the cheap (ok, not very cheap but not £££££££££££££)...

[color=#0000ff][i][b][font=Arial, Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]I[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]t's amazing how many low end subtleties it brings out and really makes the mids and highs sing out while suppressing the unwanted stuff[/size][/font][/size][/font][/b][/i][/color]

[color=#0000ff][i][b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]It's super clean.[/size][/font][/b][/i][/color]

[color=#0000ff][i][b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]It was clear, punchy and solid.[/size][/font][/b][/i][/color]

[color=#0000ff][i][b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Incredible depth, clarity, gain and versatility, giving a rich tone of my bass.[/size][/font][/b][/i][/color]

[color=#0000ff][i][b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]The tone of your bass becomes exponentially warmer through the Avalon.[/size][/font][/b][/i][/color]

[color=#0000ff][i][b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]The Avalon makes it sound a lot warmer and fatter.[/size][/font][/b][/i][/color]

[color=#0000ff][i][b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]It has a nice, rich sound, as one might expect.[/size][/font][/b][/i][/color]

Those are all quoted from reviews on Musicians Friend for the Avalon U5. Undeniably a lush piece of kit, but there's "clean" and there's "clean".

In this case, "[i]a really clean, pure signal[/i]" apparently means clear, punchy, solid, versatile, rich, warm and fat. Disappointingly, it apparently does not mean organic, dominant, integral or moist. But it is at least exponential.

I do like the idea of "[i]suppressing the unwanted stuff[/i]", though. I could do with more of that in my life.

Ultimately, it's all about your ears. B)

Mine are pretty sh*t so I don't worry too much about it. :blink: