Why become a member? ×

Little sustain on 24th fret on ONE string only (First world problems...)

biro

Guys: my BTB is easily the best sounding bass I have, but it has little sustain on its highest note, the 23th-24th fret on the G string. Granted, it's usable and, in the end, it's not like it's a crucial note. It does, however, bother me.

Now, neck is straight, action is low and I've tried different strings. The most irritating thing is that the D string plays perfectly well at the 24th fret. I have been thinking that it might be a dead spot, as it does sound like it might be a resonating frequency problem when I play on the 24th fret, but that wouldn't quite explain why the sustain is not so great at the 23th fret as well, albeit to a lesser extent.

I have also thought about blaming it on the monorail bridge, but that does not explain why the other strings sound fine...

Any suggestion would be most welcome!

Thanks!

isn't the G string naturally going to have less sustain than all the other strings as you get up to the dusty end? My thoughts would be if it sustains acceptably 1-3 frets lower, you may find it's down to how much a thin string can naturally resonate the shorter you make it. I would imagine a heavier lower string will resonate for longer because there is more energy involved in general. I would only be getting worried if it was sounding completely rubbish about another 3-4 frets lower.

Thanks mates!

And yes, I know, I know, but... the fact is that my SR506, for example, sustains the note for ages compared to this, which also happens to be neck-through-body. I do understand that it is a very minor thing, and definitely a pet-peeve. Still, I think it may be a matter of bad frets.

[quote name='biro' timestamp='1433154606' post='2788237']
Thanks mates!

And yes, I know, I know, but... the fact is that my SR506, for example, sustains the note for ages compared to this, which also happens to be neck-through-body. I do understand that it is a very minor thing, and definitely a pet-peeve. Still, I think it may be a matter of bad frets.
[/quote]

You're quite right of course... jesting about the dusty end aside, I would expect a bass to sound good at any point on the neck.

Maybe have a luither take a look at it. How long have you had it? If you bought it from a shop you might be able to get them to check it out for nothing.

I'm under the impression that dead spots span more than a single fret/note where you would indeed find that sustain was reduced either side of the dead spot itself. You could try holding the tip of the headstock against a wall as you play the G at the 24th just to see if the sustain improves - my Curbow 5 suffers from a dead spot at the 16th fret on the G and sustain is reduced either side but when I hold the headstock against a wall the sustain improves markedly. Also, from what I've seen of pictures of BTBs online the 24th is the final fret for the G and D strings (it has a 'wavy' end to the fretboard?) so it can't be a bad fret.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1433163282' post='2788405']
I'm under the impression that dead spots span more than a single fret/note where you would indeed find that sustain was reduced either side of the dead spot itself. You could try holding the tip of the headstock against a wall as you play the G at the 24th just to see if the sustain improves - my Curbow 5 suffers from a dead spot at the 16th fret on the G and sustain is reduced either side but when I hold the headstock against a wall the sustain improves markedly. Also, from what I've seen of pictures of BTBs online the 24th is the final fret for the G and D strings (it has a 'wavy' end to the fretboard?) so it can't be a bad fret.
[/quote]

Actually, the wall trick is a brilliant idea. That will definitely be my first concern as soon as I get home!

Thanks!

Well, tried pressing the headstock against the wall and clamping it. No luck. At this point, I will have to see whether I can find any other solution. This really bothers me -- again, first world problem and all, but still!

If you drop the tuning a half step, is the bad sustain still the same on the 24th, and to a 'lesser extent' the 23rd ? If it is a resonance problem I would expect at least the 23rd to improve, since I presume 22 was OK on standard tuning.

May be a bad fret though.