Why become a member? ×

Forgotten friend

TheGreek

Like many other BCers I've [i]possibly[/i] got too many basses - I try to manage this by having them out on rotation however some, inevitably, get more use than others, generally based on cost and how exotic they are. This meant that my Bass Collection Nanyo SB301 has been sitting in it's case, neglected and almost forgotten, for at least 3 years and even though I knew it was a great bass it just wasn't getting the use it deserved.

So, time for rotation, out it comes today and even though it's got a sporadic problem with a crackly jack socket it sounded and felt great. I'd forgotten how easy this small bodied, beautifully balanced, lightweight bass was to play. The shallow neck profile is a real pleasure to play, and makes getting round the RW fretboard so easy. Within minutes I remembered how good the J/P pick ups are, producing a surprisingly good range of tones for, what is now considered, a "[i]cheap[/i]" bass even though it felt as good as some high end or custom basses I've owned.

It was a real pleasure rekindling the friendship..

There are couple on eBay at the moment for around £200 - an absolute steal when you consider what else you're going to get for this sort of money. Makes me question why I've spent thousands on other basses in my collection.

Anybody else got gear tucked away not getting the use it deserves?
Anybody got a Bass Collection they need to pull out to remind themselves how good they are?

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1433018293' post='2787170']
Like many other BCers I've [i]possibly[/i] got too many basses - I try to manage this by having them out on rotation however some, inevitably, get more use than others, generally based on cost and how exotic they are. This meant that my Bass Collection Nanyo SB301 has been sitting in it's case, neglected and almost forgotten, for at least 3 years and even though I knew it was a great bass it just wasn't getting the use it deserved.

So, time for rotation, out it comes today and even though it's got a sporadic problem with a crackly jack socket it sounded and felt great. I'd forgotten how easy this small bodied, beautifully balanced, lightweight bass was to play. The shallow neck profile is a real pleasure to play, and makes getting round the RW fretboard so easy. Within minutes I remembered how good the J/P pick ups are, producing a surprisingly good range of tones for, what is now considered, a "[i]cheap[/i]" bass even though it felt as good as some high end or custom basses I've owned.

It was a real pleasure rekindling the friendship..

There are couple on eBay at the moment for around £200 - an absolute steal when you consider what else you're going to get for this sort of money. Makes me question why I've spent thousands on other basses in my collection.

Anybody else got gear tucked away not getting the use it deserves?
Anybody got a Bass Collection they need to pull out to remind themselves how good they are?
[/quote]

Yeah, As it happens I've got a Black Nanyo SB301, and was thinking earlier today that I haven't even seen it for a year or two. Definitely the most playable Bass I have, closely followed by may old 1973 Eros Jazz copy, which was the first Bass I ever bought.

Cant decide whether the Eros is really great or whether it just fits my hands and style because its what I learned on, and was my only Bass for years - Till I bought the SB301 above.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

Similar theme, I put up a post about how every gig I`ve been at recently where the bassists tone has been really good, the bass has been a Mexican Fender Precision. Coupling this with the fact that the two top voted basses in the Herts Bass Bash Blind Precision Test last year were both Mexican it does make me question why I`ve sourced two 70s Precisons for myself - at consideraly more expense that two MIM Precisions would be I might add. I do love those basses but when my ears hear something they like, they like irrespective of cost/labels/country of origin. And it`s now happening far too often to be coincidence.

I have a number I have bought over the years , but rather than put them under the bed I just hang them on a wall now, they look quite good and are like living photographs , they remind me of stuff that happened when I used them , and I can still pick them off a hanger and play them whenever I want to .

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1433026798' post='2787251']
Similar theme, I put up a post about how every gig I`ve been at recently where the bassists tone has been really good, the bass has been a Mexican Fender Precision. Coupling this with the fact that the two top voted basses in the Herts Bass Bash Blind Precision Test last year were both Mexican it does make me question why I`ve sourced two 70s Precisons for myself - at consideraly more expense that two MIM Precisions would be I might add. I do love those basses but when my ears hear something they like, they like irrespective of cost/labels/country of origin. And it`s now happening far too often to be coincidence.
[/quote]

I have 1991 MIM Precision. Sounds better than my SB301, but doesnt play anywhere near as well.

Tanglewood Rebel 4k - my first bass, left under the bed for the past two years and recently given a new lease of life thanks to a P/J set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups that cost more than the bass itself.

Lightweight, comfortable to play and now the tone suits my band's style of music better than my jazz bass.

I've got an unlined fretless Bass Collection SB301, which has earned its keep many times over. It rarely comes out nowadays, as I only ever do a handful of gigs or recordings which need fretless. But when it does it's so easy to play. Great action, dead comfortable, light as a feather.

I sold my Bass Collection - because it was so light rather than for any other reason, I was used to a Warwick Thumb so the BC felt very insubstantial. If I was suffering from back or shoulder problems that would be helped by a lighter bass, I'd go for one again.