Why become a member? ×

Show us your Vigiers!

lukeward2004

Hi Guys,

Seeing as we have a Musicman one, a Status one and a Pangborn one, I thought Id give some light to Patrice Vigier's masterpieces.

Ill get the ball rolling - here's my Passion III Custom 5 String, formerly owned by our very own Ped, and is my main bass:

And in action:

Show me what you got!

Vigs seem to be getting a bit of attention recently! Not so long ago telling a basschatter you played Vigier was met with a blank virtual stare! Here are my two babies which I am sure you have all seen before countless times. I can say with some certainty that I won't ever have to buy a bass again...

The fretted as a series 2 from 1988, carbon weave neck thru with Marleaux electronics and a Roland Vbass pickup. I love the Marleaux pre, it has an especially sweet top end, centred around 8khz whih really suits the clear and fat sound of the bass. It sounds like a Kodiak bear on meths. It is very worn in and feels like home.

The fretless is a series 3, the same type of neck as the two above (10/90 design) and is standard apart from the U-Retro Deluxe pre (Mr. East lives just down the road luckily). This one is now very flexible and can do a warm woody tone to a bright cutting and clear fretless mwah.

I have been endorsed by Vigier for a while now and I am thinking about speccing a series 4 6 string in white with red anodised body/headstock logo and a built in V system along with the Delano electronics and seperate pre for each pickup but I won't be doing that for a while!

Sorry for the dodgy pics, I might get some better ones this afternoon and update them!

I think there is another Vigier thread somewhere with lots of piccies on it!

ped

Oh and as Luke has decided to go all the way and bring the promo shots to bear, here is a cheezy pic from my artist page:

[quote name='ped' post='269514' date='Aug 25 2008, 02:41 PM']I have been endorsed by Vigier for a while now and I am thinking about speccing a series 4 6 string in white with red anodised body/headstock logo and a built in V system along with the Delano electronics and seperate pre for each pickup but I won't be doing that for a while![/quote]

Wow Ped!
That sounds like an awesome spec, go on order it, go on, you know you want to... :)

Cheers,
Eude

Neilb - that's what the owner said, too!! The studio there is actually where we had the NW bass bash earlier this year!

eude - Hi mate! It does sound quite exciting actually, now you have got me thinking about it! To be honest there is nothing I would change about my now fairly old series 2, but perhaps an Arpege shape 6 string would give me a couple of extra options. I don't think it will ever happen though, but something like that is the only thing I quite fancy as I am so happy with what I have.

Cheers
ped and his vig twigz

Stingrayfan - yes, that is me gigging the life out of Propaganda in fleet!

Ped - you know how much I love your Vigiers, the two that got me "into" vigier basses, and I think I owe you a few pints for selling me the best bass ive ever had and the only bass that hasnt made me want for more!!

Except maybe your fretless......

;p

Er! Nope!

Tis the chosen one! She's currently working very hard down in the pit here:

[url="http://www.peterboroughkeytheatre.co.uk"]http://www.peterboroughkeytheatre.co.uk[/url]

...providing solid and yet lush bassness to the production of `Dream Nights' - the MD won't let me use anything else!

Edited by doctor_of_the_bass

Its NEARLY as cool as mine ;0)

...Actually, I never asked... as a man with more than a few basses in his possession, what is it about the Vigier that makes it 'the one'? I am completely sold on mine and confident nothing else will do, but you have a lot more experience and it would be interesting to hear.

(Waiting eagerly for you to say 'erm... its a nice colour!)

ped

...its the bass that I just seem to use for all jobs - from the theatre through to rock gigs in pubs, the function band, jazzers and folk stuff - it covers any situation and nails the sound - the neck is perfect and its overall light weight means comfort on long shows etc. I love my Status basses too, but at the moment, I seem to be favouring the Arpege!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[attachment=14348:Vigier_044.jpg][attachment=14349:Vigier_042.jpg][attachment=14350:Vigier_037.jpg]h
ere's an early one, 1984 Passion I, serial no. 213. Was my main bass for 10 years but now in need of some TLC. The finish is falling off! Will never be sold. The necks on Vigiers are the best of any bass I've played, so thin and the wide flat frets make for a super low action

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='299719' date='Oct 5 2008, 02:28 AM'][attachment=14348:Vigier_044.jpg][attachment=14349:Vigier_042.jpg][attachment=14350:Vigier_037.jpg]h
ere's an early one, 1984 Passion I, serial no. 213. Was my main bass for 10 years but now in need of some TLC. The finish is falling off! Will never be sold. The necks on Vigiers are the best of any bass I've played, so thin and the wide flat frets make for a super low action[/quote]

Lovely bass there! As has already been noted, the finish on my Arpege is literally flaking off; the back of the bass is getting very chipped - I liken the finish to that of a Smartie!! Funnily enough, the finish on the Passion I've now sold to Dave Anderson (hi Dave!) was much higher quality with a real depth to it!