Why become a member? ×

Not a fan of Roundwounds anymore

Twincam

Been playing tapewounds nearly exclusively this year. Decided to have a change and fit some rounds and yuk!. I don't mind the tension, feel or even the tone In fact I really like the sound of rounds. Just all that other finger and fret noise is horrible, especially with new strings. Think I shall stick to flats or tapes.

Anyone tried the new ernie ball cobalt power slinkie flatwounds?. Supposed to sound more like rounds.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1432057318' post='2777687']
Been playing tapewounds nearly exclusively this year. Decided to have a change and fit some rounds and yuk!. I don't mind the tension, feel or even the tone In fact I really like the sound of rounds. Just all that other finger and fret noise is horrible, especially with new strings. Think I shall stick to flats or tapes.

Anyone tried the new ernie ball cobalt power slinkie flatwounds?. Supposed to sound more like rounds.
[/quote]

I've only ever played rounds, but recently bought a bass with a set of fender flats and really like them. Unfortunately only managed to play it unplugged at the moment, so not sure if I'll like the tone plugged in, but it doesn't sound dull or dead acoustically, sounds quite snappy actually, just 'fatter'.

Have been interested in tape wounds though, would love to try a set. Are they round wounds underneath?

Edited by cameltoe

I've been playing flats for a few years now and love them but I recently bought a new bass with rounds fitted. I have to say they make a refreshing change. I used to get a lot of fret noise with my now retired p bass and I think that is probably why I moved to flats in the first place. The frets were a little higher near the body so the strings clanked off them a bit. The neck is super straight on my new bass and the frets are nice and level so no unwanted fret noise. There when you want it in a percussive way.

I am a flats convert, but this is very much a matter of personal preference, there is no right or wrong. The trouble is that most basses in shops have rounds fitted (even many fretless instruments!), so you have to guess what they will sound like with flats on.

I've been using flats for 6+ months now, many people say they sound dull or dead, but it all depends how you E.Q and you play.
The other advantage for me is that they are much easier to play being smooth and higher tension.

I use a P bass with flats in a Soul/Funk/Motown band a Country Rock band and a Blues band and it does everything I need it to.

I have set of flats that I occasionally fit to one of my basses, play a gig with, then immediately remove and replace with roundwounds.

They make my basses sound indistinct and woolly. If that's the sound you're after then I suppose they're great. But they're not for me.

[/quote]

I tried an EBMM at the London Bass Guitar Show that had their new flatwounds on it - can`t remember the name but they were very roundwound sounding. Very nice indeed. If it hadn`t been for the obvious on how they felt I`d have sworn they were rounds.

Not all rounds are equal - and neither are the flats.

IME many flats have a very usable character - but while rounds can sound quite a bit like flats - the reverse is almost never true. Chromes or TI's can sound fairly bright - even after quite a lot of use, but they'll never sound like roundwound strings with plenty of life left in them.

Twincam - Glad to hear you're enjoying the tapes. When I've switched from tapes to any other kind of string I always find I need to be patient with how I'm fretting and plucking. Tapes allow you to get away with things you'll be bothered by on other strings - especially fresh rounds. For the record, IME you'll never get a clean sound out of rounds like you can out of tapes or flats.

Guest bassman7755

[/quote]

I suggest Elixir nano webs, the coating pretty much eliminates the finger noise. They are very smooth and quiet (of extraneous noises) to play similar to half rounds, work great on fretless for that reason too. Soundwise they are like just-played-in normal roundwounds i.e. bright but not clanky, and stay sounding that way for a very long time. TBH I wouldnt entertain using any other string these days.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1432071487' post='2777963']
With Flats finding a set that the E can ring a bit is the issue, in the old days the E string was always as dead as a lump of rope.
Would re-visit them if I knew a good set with some sustain in them.
Any recommendation ?
[/quote]

Chromes - They're fairly high tension, but they do have a good even response and high QC. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS4-tiHkQ2A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS4-tiHkQ2A[/url]

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1432121545' post='2778301']
Chromes - They're fairly high tension, but they do have a good even response and high QC. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS4-tiHkQ2A[/media]
[/quote]

This guy is a rarity, he delivered a very well thought out review